22 minutes ago, Andrea Bolla said:

y4m7muJrF57I_iH-WPnKj9WZfSt3gxYTM0sGBUnv

marked in red are light artifacts

in green a "scratch" way smaller than the mold seam (maybe I have caused it removing the part from the sprue or taking photo, really a non issue, it's just slightly opaque not a real surface scratch

in purple you can spot the micro flow marks looking through the light glow, these are also invisible naked eyes (even on the separate canopy part where they are a bit more heavy than this one)

please don't ask to bring in the microscope and take measurements of these "flaws", I took these photos after reading Dave's post and just checked my kit for similar issues.

Thank you for tour message.

However, it wasn't about these scratches but about the  left windshield side.

2 hours ago, Andrea Bolla said:

y4m7muJrF57I_iH-WPnKj9WZfSt3gxYTM0sGBUnv

marked in red are light artifacts

in green a "scratch" way smaller than the mold seam (maybe I have caused it removing the part from the sprue or taking photo, really a non issue, it's just slightly opaque not a real surface scratch

in purple you can spot the micro flow marks looking through the light glow, these are also invisible naked eyes (even on the separate canopy part where they are a bit more heavy than this one)

please don't ask to bring in the microscope and take measurements of these "flaws", I took these photos after reading Dave's post and just checked my kit for similar issues.

Not to argue but if there are marks on the canopy then it's not "perfect".

Also, there is also some marks by the center frame, on the right side of the canopy.

BTW, those flaws jumped out at me in no time when I looked at the pics you posted, and I wear glasses with magnifiers when I build.

4 hours ago, galfa said:

Sir,

Because if somebody say theirs are not perfect his word should be enough and here it is not.

Perhaps we can say that some canopies have scratches or flow marks and some don't? When I can walk again (don't ask, you'll only get a litany of complaints), I'll go downstairs and check mine. Could be a QA issue due to the pressure to get the kit released?

4 hours ago, galfa said:

Sir,

Because if somebody say theirs are not perfect his word should be enough and here it is not.

By extension your word should be enough and here it is not.

The sword has two edges. 

2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

BTW, those flaws jumped out at me in no time when I looked at the pics you posted, and I wear glasses with magnifiers when I build.

Not to argue too but can you point what you have seen? And considering your precious experience may I ask you some info for my build?

On 12/21/2019 at 5:41 PM, Andrea Bolla said:

y4m9N-dfStZt014CRFYo6S04Fk1eMHvoEZwTEvyA

10 hours ago, Andrea Bolla said:

Not to argue too but can you point what you have seen? And considering your precious experience may I ask you some info for my build?

In the pic you posted, look at the center frame, right above the "N", halfway between the mold line and bottom frame, there appears to be some scuff marks on either side of the frame.

I have no problem answer questions about the aircraft, you can post them here, in a build thread (I do check in on Tomcat build threads) or make a post. Please don't PM me questions, I don't like answer questions via PM.

3 hours ago, GW8345 said:

In the pic you posted, look at the center frame, right above the "N", halfway between the mold line and bottom frame, there appears to be some scuff marks on either side of the frame.

y4mwo7jaeuY-uDm7W-46uruk8eztqyx0lgl4E1D0

y4m67vEwHJE1wcqbo33WnpgwYb3E3pXFLf5gD0kv

nothing...

Windshield is a bit thick but fine:

y4mGlgibl22Ht-_xOExztfGwvkxVisgkeMSSa1bc

y4mOEuQaRMcXu7eg5pIVVpOC2lUeE7Zbk06KvNfw

On 12/21/2019 at 5:41 PM, Andrea Bolla said:

y4m9N-dfStZt014CRFYo6S04Fk1eMHvoEZwTEvyA

I don't do red lines, they seem to trigger some people around here.

In the pic above, I can see see the scratch marks, now whether you fix them or not I don't know but in the above pic they are there.

y4mwo7jaeuY-uDm7W-46uruk8eztqyx0lgl4E1D0

y4m67vEwHJE1wcqbo33WnpgwYb3E3pXFLf5gD0kv

nothing...

Windshield is a bit thick but fine:

But, but, there is a... a... what looks like a cat hair on it!  Ewwhh, How can you stand to touch it? Just the thought of it, sends shivers down my spine. :OMG-OMG:

Full disclosure: I am owned by two stark raving mad cats and am at their beck and call day in day out. If they find out what I just post... No, no! I didn't mean it. Honest, no, please don't do that with the cat litter, oh my God! :wmsmiley-poop-hits-the-fan:

On 1/5/2020 at 9:27 PM, GW8345 said:

I have no problem answer questions about the aircraft, you can post them here, in a build thread (I do check in on Tomcat build threads) or make a post. Please don't PM me questions, I don't like answer questions via PM.

US_Navy_030408-N-7986B-008_An_F-A-18_Hor

Would like to know what is happening in and around the plane in this picture, would like to do something like this.

Also curious about why the ifr probe covers are missing and if was common (sow other planes without those panels too).

Please feel free to add as much info as you want about deck operations, appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

I don't like those that try to find non-existent issues.

But hey guys, when there is something that is obviously there, it is there!

The hood has two lines that run across. Easy to fix, yes. But they are there 🙈🙉🙊

Let's be real and fair...

US_Navy_030408-N-7986B-008_An_F-A-18_Hor

Would like to know what is happening in and around the plane in this picture, would like to do something like this.

Also curious about why the ifr probe covers are missing and if was common (sow other planes without those panels too).

Please feel free to add as much info as you want about deck operations, appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Here's what's going in this pic;

The Tomcat is taxing up to Cat 3 and has just spread it's wings and dropped it's flaps/slats. The pilot is ensuring that all four spoilers will deploy, hence the reason for the spoilers are up. The green shirt by the nose gear is the catapult hook up guy, he is telling the Cat 3 director to take the aircraft forward. The red shirt on the left side of the nose is a CAG Arm/Dearm  crew member, when the  aircraft to stop taxing he will be in position to arm the gun, then he will arm whatever is on the left wing (the CAG Arm/Dearm guy for the right side of the jet is out of the picture). The white shirt looking at the tailhook is one of two finalcheckers, he is inspecting the tailhook point to make sure it is attached securely and is not damage. The other finalchecker is under the belly making sure the inboard nacelle panels are all closed and will be checking to make sure the heat exchanger fans (near the inboard intake lip on the belly) are working. (our usual routine as finalchecker is whoever got under the belly first checked the tail hook while the other finalchecker would walk the nacelles and check the heat exchanger fans). The hold back bar has already been attached but has not entered the "zipper". The JBD will be raised once the horizontal stabs clear the forward yellow line that outlines the JBD. The F-18 on cat 4 will launch after the Tomcat since the Tomcat already has it's wings spread, that why everyone is just standing around it.

As for the IFR probe door, it was very common to see them removed. We would remove them anytime we would be tanking a lot and definitely when we were tanking from Air Force tankers (the basket would always do a little "dance" behind an Air Force tanker). This was done to prevent the basket from striking the panel and knocking if off and it going down the right intake (which has happened a lot). We would pull the panels during the transit to the AOR and won't put them back on until a few days before we got home.

The people you see at the bottom of the picture are just observing and are probably waiting for one of their aircraft who probably in line behind the Tomcat and Hornet. There is a yellow shirt (director) to the far left of the photo, he is directing the next aircraft in line for Cat 3 to move up and will "spot" him just behind the JBD once it is raised. The red shirt to the far right (with their back to the camera) is the CAG Arm/Dearm Crew Leader, they direct all arming evolution's on the waist cats. The yellow shirt under the left wing of the Tomcat is the Cat 4 director, the green shirt leaning against the F-18's drop tank is the Cat 4 hook up guy and red shirt under the F-18's wing is a CAG Arm/dearm crew member waiting to arm the aircraft. The white shirt standing by the tail of the F-18 is the right side finalchecker for the F-18 (the left side final checker will be in the port catwalk).

1 hour ago, DIO said:

Please tell us what qualifications you have to say an issue is "non-existent".

Those here who have pointed out issues have years of studying the aircraft and a few like myself have years of working on the real thing. So what makes you qualified to say an issue is "non-existent"?

21 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Please tell us what qualifications you have to say an issue is "non-existent".

Those here who have pointed out issues have years of studying the aircraft and a few like myself have years of working on the real thing. So what makes you qualified to say an issue is "non-existent"?

That this is a scale modelling forum and not a US Carrier???

But, seriously I think you have totally missed the point of what I wrote.  Read it again and I will test you soon lol.

3 minutes ago, DIO said:

That this is a scale modelling forum and not a US Carrier???

But, seriously I think you have totally missed the point of what I wrote.  Read it again and I will test you soon lol.

You are correct, this isn't a carrier, but there are some here that want to know what happens on a carrier.

I did get your point, you don't like people who point out issues YOU think don't exist so I'll ask again, what qualifications do YOU have to say something is/is not an issue?

33 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Here's what's going in this pic;

The Tomcat is taxing up to Cat 3 and has just spread it's wings and dropped it's flaps/slats. The pilot is ensuring that all four spoilers will deploy, hence the reason for the spoilers are up. The green shirt by the nose gear is the catapult hook up guy, he is telling the Cat 3 director to take the aircraft forward. The red shirt on the left side of the nose is a CAG Arm/Dearm  crew member, when the  aircraft to stop taxing he will be in position to arm the gun, then he will arm whatever is on the left wing (the CAG Arm/Dearm guy for the right side of the jet is out of the picture). The white shirt looking at the tailhook is one of two finalcheckers, he is inspecting the tailhook point to make sure it is attached securely and is not damage. The other finalchecker is under the belly making sure the inboard nacelle panels are all closed and will be checking to make sure the heat exchanger fans (near the inboard intake lip on the belly) are working. (our usual routine as finalchecker is whoever got under the belly first checked the tail hook while the other finalchecker would walk the nacelles and check the heat exchanger fans). The hold back bar has already been attached but has not entered the "zipper". The JBD will be raised once the horizontal stabs clear the forward yellow line that outlines the JBD. The F-18 on cat 4 will launch after the Tomcat since the Tomcat already has it's wings spread, that why everyone is just standing around it.

As for the IFR probe door, it was very common to see them removed. We would remove them anytime we would be tanking a lot and definitely when we were tanking from Air Force tankers (the basket would always do a little "dance" behind an Air Force tanker). This was done to prevent the basket from striking the panel and knocking if off and it going down the right intake (which has happened a lot). We would pull the panels during the transit to the AOR and won't put them back on until a few days before we got home.

The people you see at the bottom of the picture are just observing and are probably waiting for one of their aircraft who probably in line behind the Tomcat and Hornet. There is a yellow shirt (director) to the far left of the photo, he is directing the next aircraft in line for Cat 3 to move up and will "spot" him just behind the JBD once it is raised. The red shirt to the far right (with their back to the camera) is the CAG Arm/Dearm Crew Leader, they direct all arming evolution's on the waist cats. The yellow shirt under the left wing of the Tomcat is the Cat 4 director, the green shirt leaning against the F-18's drop tank is the Cat 4 hook up guy and red shirt under the F-18's wing is a CAG Arm/dearm crew member waiting to arm the aircraft. The white shirt standing by the tail of the F-18 is the right side finalchecker for the F-18 (the left side final checker will be in the port catwalk).

Great explanation.   That “final checker” is inches away from the engine exhausts.    No way I’d want that job.   I’ll take my cold, wet (and quiet) foxhole anytime!  

GW8345 thanks for posting about what the various crewmen were doing in the picture posted by Andrea Bolla above. Many of us who have never served on a carrier have no idea what this colored shirt is doing or what their responsibilities are. In videos it looks like organized chaos on deck LOL! Its nice to learn from someone who was there.

Happy modeling all!

1 hour ago, Zactoman said:

What some might consider non-existent or insignificant others might find obvious and glaring. It's all a matter of perspective.

Hip_tease_zpsjq48jhyr.jpg

:cheers:

Indeed and for those of us that do see that there is something amiss, we'd like to understand the causes and any potential fixes.

As to Dio's post

3 hours ago, DIO said:

But hey guys, when there is something that is obviously there, it is there!

Yes, he doesn't like those that try to find non-existent issues, but in his next line he states "when there is something that is obviously there, it is there!". Now I don't know which issues he considers "non-existent" but seems to be affirming that there ARE issues that are obvious. Dio, have I got that right?

57 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Indeed and for those of us that do see that there is something amiss, we'd like to understand the causes and any potential fixes.

As to Dio's post

Yes, he doesn't like those that try to find non-existent issues, but in his next line he states "when there is something that is obviously there, it is there!". Now I don't know which issues he considers "non-existent" but seems to be affirming that there ARE issues that are obvious. Dio, have I got that right?

Sure you do, and of course there are issues! Missing panel lines, non consistent panel lines, missing details, the line on the hood are definitely issues.

Edited by DIO
1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

You are correct, this isn't a carrier, but there are some here that want to know what happens on a carrier.

I did get your point, you don't like people who point out issues YOU think don't exist so I'll ask again, what qualifications do YOU have to say something is/is not an issue?

A Masters Degree?