ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Jennings

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

GW8345 thanks for posting about what the various crewmen were doing in the picture posted by Andrea Bolla above. Many of us who have never served on a carrier have no idea what this colored shirt is doing or what their responsibilities are. In videos it looks like organized chaos on deck LOL! Its nice to learn from someone who was there.

Happy modeling all!

1 hour ago, Zactoman said:

What some might consider non-existent or insignificant others might find obvious and glaring. It's all a matter of perspective.

Hip_tease_zpsjq48jhyr.jpg

:cheers:

Indeed and for those of us that do see that there is something amiss, we'd like to understand the causes and any potential fixes.

As to Dio's post

3 hours ago, DIO said:

I don't like those that try to find non-existent issues.

But hey guys, when there is something that is obviously there, it is there!

Yes, he doesn't like those that try to find non-existent issues, but in his next line he states "when there is something that is obviously there, it is there!". Now I don't know which issues he considers "non-existent" but seems to be affirming that there ARE issues that are obvious. Dio, have I got that right?

57 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Indeed and for those of us that do see that there is something amiss, we'd like to understand the causes and any potential fixes.

As to Dio's post

Yes, he doesn't like those that try to find non-existent issues, but in his next line he states "when there is something that is obviously there, it is there!". Now I don't know which issues he considers "non-existent" but seems to be affirming that there ARE issues that are obvious. Dio, have I got that right?

Sure you do, and of course there are issues! Missing panel lines, non consistent panel lines, missing details, the line on the hood are definitely issues.

Edited by DIO

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

You are correct, this isn't a carrier, but there are some here that want to know what happens on a carrier.

I did get your point, you don't like people who point out issues YOU think don't exist so I'll ask again, what qualifications do YOU have to say something is/is not an issue?

A Masters Degree?

10 minutes ago, DIO said:

A Masters Degree?

I have lots of books too. What’s your point?

1 minute ago, habu2 said:

I have lots of books too. What’s your point?

Maybe a Master's degree is required to have an opinion for the AMK F-14?

1 hour ago, DIO said:

Maybe a Master's degree is required to have an opinion for the AMK F-14?

If so then there must be a LOT of highly educated people posting opinions in this thread. 

I feel so inadequate with my lowly undergraduate degree....

1 minute ago, habu2 said:

If so then there must be a LOT of highly educated people posting opinions in this thread. 

I feel so inadequate with my lowly undergraduate degree....

It is never too late 😜😂😂😂

53 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I slept at a Holiday Inn once........

I haven't even done that. Darn, I'm screwed. I guess I'm a worthless nobody. :crying2:

Today I've had an opportunity to get Tomcat for €55, but for the same price AMK MiG-31 was far better choice 🙂

2 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

Today I've had an opportunity to get Tomcat for €55, but for the same price AMK MiG-31 was far better choice 🙂

..so you bought the both? 😜😂😂😂

3 hours ago, DIO said:

Sure you do, and of course there are issues! Missing panel lines, non consistent panel lines, missing details, the line on the hood are definitely issues.

Mold lines are present in every single part of every kit: when possible they are placed where they cannot be seen, on round pieces like landing gear they are always present and visible, in a standard two piece mold canopy you have them mostrli placed on the bottom (not always, many kits have a mold line running in the middle) but the canopy itself cannot bear any undercut, so no omega shape is possible; otherwise with sliding molds you can have a beautiful omega shape with consistent thickness but at the cost of having two seam lines so this is not an "issue" but something that you have to deal with present in many kits: require just a couple of minutes with a polishing stick and a dip in future, please consider that photos are taken under strong lights to spot any "scatches" and way bigger than the original part.

12 minutes ago, Andrea Bolla said:

Mold lines are present in every single part of every kit: when possible they are placed where they cannot be seen, on round pieces like landing gear they are always present and visible, in a standard two piece mold canopy you have them mostrli placed on the bottom (not always, many kits have a mold line running in the middle) but the canopy itself cannot bear any undercut, so no omega shape is possible; otherwise with sliding molds you can have a beautiful omega shape with consistent thickness but at the cost of having two seam lines so this is not an "issue" but something that you have to deal with present in many kits: require just a couple of minutes with a polishing stick and a dip in future, please consider that photos are taken under strong lights to spot any "scatches" and way bigger than the original part.

I cannot agree. The canopy is one of the most delicate parts of the kit. Even advanced modelers are hesitant to proceed with the process.

Furthermore I have seen a lot of kits with a single line but in this case there are two which makes it even more difficult to cope with.

As I said before we have to be fair. When there is an issue, there is an issue.

Edited by DIO

5 minutes ago, Andrea Bolla said:

What you describe is called parting lines.

Yes, they're inevitable, but they are largely manageable in the design phase and during the production, in both size and location.

Never mind :whistle:

Edited by Mstor

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

I slept at a Holiday Inn once........

I hope you liberated the bible, you are going to need it in this thread.

Can the mould line on the canopy not be polished out?

As a modeller I consider such things as a challenge myself, I prefer such problems, it is what makes the build so satisfying when its built.

I decided to take the plunge on the AMK kit, the Tamiya kit was in a local shop but at a 28% increase in price over the AMK kit

8 hours ago, 11bee said:

Great explanation.   That “final checker” is inches away from the engine exhausts.    No way I’d want that job.   I’ll take my cold, wet (and quiet) foxhole anytime!  

And that is why I have tinnitus 24/7 in both ears, and "significant" (according to the VA audiologist I saw) high frequency hearing loss. The noise isn't too bad in that picture, both engines are at idle. It will get louder...

What I used to hate was being the outboard final checker and have one of those damn Prowlers roll up behind you on Cat 4. Those things would rattle the fillings right out of your teeth when they'd  go into tension. 😳

Great write up GW, brings back some old memories.

5 hours ago, DIO said:

..so you bought the both? 😜😂😂😂

😄 I hope I'll enjoy building MiG while waiting for good F-14.

A very long and complete non sponsored review of the kit by a Tomcat fan: https://www.modelingtime.com/review-tomcat-amk-1-48/

He points out the usual and now known issues and some not discussed here, like the wrong size of all wheels, the too short NLG, etc.

More, he provides pics of the kit and references to point out some other issues, like the windshield's one:

kit:

foto-34-1068x652.jpg

foto-33-1068x801.jpg

reference:

foto-35-1068x712.jpg

One interesting detail: he measured the kit and used Grumman blueprints as reference and compared:

- all missiles are too short, in particular the AIM-7

- all wheels are too small, front ones are 10.2mm instead of 11.5mm,  rear ones are 19.08mm instead of 19.38mm

- NLG is too short by 0.8mm

and worst, by comparing Grumman blueprints at the location the rear fuselage is wider (station 7025), he found:

foto-49-1068x776.jpg

foto-51-1068x801.jpg

foto-50-1068x1213.jpg

bonus:

foto-53-1068x801.jpg

and new year bonus, the one which explains a lot:

foto-52-1068x801.jpg 

Uh-oh.. now you've done it. Taking precise measurements and comparing them to blueprints/drawings. Whats wrong with you ? ( sarcasm)

Clearly a mistake by the builder in his measurements.. ..It's a non-issue. :cheers:

Seriously, it is good to see others providing feedback. That's what is great about the modeling community. People willing to take the time to make measurements and put together detailed analysis. It has nothing to do with bashing anything or anyone. It's simply posting what they find. EVERYONE knows that no kit is perfect. Nobody claims that kits will be, can be or are. But there is no harm in posting what those imperfections are.  

34 minutes ago, adamitri said:

Uh-oh.. now you've done it. Taking precise measurements and comparing them to blueprints/drawings. Whats wrong with you ? ( sarcasm)

He's just trying  to admit that TAMIYA has got it all wrong also !!🤣