9 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Understood that you have built the kit and hat's off to you sir. i am not making it up however because every kit picture I have seen there is a prominent line that distinguishes the nosecone from the fuselage. It is even more apparent when looking at pictures with a top view. I don't believe that it is that over-exaggerated on the 1:1 aircraft so that is why I asked. It kinda reminds me of how big the panel lines on the Hobby Boss F-14's are. In this instance it stands out, to me, because other panel lines are finer while this is huge. 

Tom's build in GWH's post above doesn't show it.  None of the 4 that were at my local show last year had it, didn't see it on my own.  All I can tell you, maybe we just all found a way to deal with it. 

19 minutes ago, shion said:

Yes, the final result and build is on the builder, but when a manufacturer provides a locator to precisely assemble 2 parts and this locator does not help at all and maybe makes things worse, what we're talking here, the fact that the fit isn't good and both parts don't fit and the assembly leave a huge seam, is on the manufacturer. 

Have you taken your complaints to the Consumer Financial  Bureau?  I'm sure they'd love to hear from you. 

29 minutes ago, shion said:

Yes, the final result and build is on the builder, but when a manufacturer provides a locator to precisely assemble 2 parts and this locator does not help at all and maybe makes things worse, what we're talking here, the fact that the fit isn't good and both parts don't fit and the assembly leave a huge seam, is on the manufacturer. 

Why don't you invest some of your valuable time, buy the kit, try to find out what ellbowgrease is and build it - then post it here rather than consistently whining about this? Otherwise, for me, all your comments are just :boohoo:

What @zerosystem said " All I can tell you, maybe we just all found a way to deal with it" - that's what modelling is about. 

1 hour ago, polybebber said:

Why don't you invest some of your valuable time, buy the kit, try to find out what ellbowgrease is and build it - then post it here rather than consistently whining about this? Otherwise, for me, all your comments are just :boohoo:

What @zerosystem said " All I can tell you, maybe we just all found a way to deal with it" - that's what modelling is about. 

1 hour ago, zerosystem said:

Have you taken your complaints to the Consumer Financial  Bureau?  I'm sure they'd love to hear from you. 

Just one question:

you are apparently not interested by the subject of the discussion.

The fact is the subject of this discussion, is the subject of the topic.

Why staying in a topic about a subject you don't care and trying to shut down a discussion you don't contribute to?

And it's not as if it's the first time we witness this pretty strange behaviour, people coming in this specific topic only to make personnal attacks and denying obvious facts and findings by attacking the person who provide them.

43 minutes ago, shion said:

Just one question:

you are apparently not interested by the subject of the discussion.

The fact is the subject of this discussion, is the subject of the topic.

Why staying in a topic about a subject you don't care and trying to shut down a discussion you don't contribute to?

And it's not as if it's the first time we witness this pretty strange behaviour, people coming in this specific topic only to make personnal attacks and denying obvious facts and findings by attacking the person who provide them.

:crying:

BTW, I build models and I like challencing kits with imperfections.

i-NrQtKwj-XL.jpg

it's just people like you repeating the same BS over and over  that drive me off to post here any more. And as I said before this thread has become :deadhorse1: so why participate. Your interpretation of "pretty strange behaviour" is indeed strange, give it a thought.

Edited by polybebber
22 minutes ago, polybebber said:

:crying:

BTW, I build models and I like challencing kits with imperfections, it's just people like you repeating the same BS over and over  that drive me off to post here any more. And as I said before this thread has become :deadhorse1: so why participate. Your interpretation of "pretty strange behaviour" is indeed strange, give it a thought.

Yes, you like "challenging kits with imperfections" but when people talk about... a challenging kit with imperfection in particular, your only contributions to the topic are personal attacks and asking to shut down the topic, that is not contradictory at all.

I remember this post of yours, so perfect:

On 9/17/2019 at 1:23 PM, polybebber said:

If a thread doesn't make any sense anymore - like this one - the subject has beaten to death, "know and see it" alls repeat them over and over again - like on this one, if personal insults 

creep in - like on this one - then I'm all for closing a thread down. This should have been done with this one long time ago - what a waste of time!!!!

Lothar

3 minutes ago, shion said:

Yes, you like "challenging kits with imperfections" but when people talk about... a challenging kit with imperfection in particular, your only contributions to the topic are personal attacks and asking to shut down the topic, that is not contradictory at all.

I remember this post of yours, so perfect:

Have another look at my post above and then show us all  what you're doing other than contriburing your valuable opinion about what you see from others and riding their horses. 

12 minutes ago, polybebber said:

Have another look at my post above and then show us all  what you're doing other than contriburing your valuable opinion about what you see from others and riding their horses. 

Maybe you need to re-read seriously the topic, I'm one of the main pics, links and videos providers about the kit here.

Bc I think it's in fact, the modus operandi on a model kits forum, on an analysis and info section, providing sources, answers, pics, videos, material.

What I still don't understand is the purpose of your posts here, asking people to not talk about the subject, to not give material.

Edited by shion

It looks like a couple minutes of work with a Flexi-File or suitable sanding stick would take care of that nose issue. I doubt there would even be any need to rescribe anything if the builder is careful. Pretty straight forward modeling in my opinion. But to be completely honest, I'm really not seeing anything in any of the pictures of the nose to warrant much if any hand wringing. Each to their own I guess.

Happy modeling all!

14 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Just one technical note and please don't take it that I am slamming the builder, just want to pass along something technical I see with this build.

The small door just forward of the IFR probe will not be open when the probe is fully extended, it opens just enough for the probe to clear it then closes. It closes when the probe is about a third way extended.

Imf you are being that accurate Im surprised you didnt point out the fact that all of the scribed lines on it are way out of scale.

21 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Imf you are being that accurate Im surprised you didnt point out the fact that all of the scribed lines on it are way out of scale.

I've already commented on that issue with the kit, didn't want to keep repeating the same thing since I know it may trigger some here.

37 minutes ago, shion said:

What I still don't understand is the purpose of your posts here...

Pot meet kettle.

What I still don't understand is which AMK competitor you work for?

4 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

With every kit.
How thick should a quarter scale panel line be on an F-14?

I'm not going to open that can of worms about panel line so I'll say whatever you want it to be, it's your model.

Not really sure why there's a whole page of people going back and forth about how to BUILD a model, as that's not what the discussion is about. It should not be commented upon that the line for the radome and nosecone is fixable by the modeller themselves, as that should be a given. Basically a "duh, no s***" moment. i have several F-14 kits by Hobby Boss, Tamiya, Hasegawa, and Monogram. There are imperfections on most, if not all of them, that need to be fixed or corrected by me, the modeller, if I choose to do so. To clarify further, if you have seen a build by anyone that doesn't have the line showing so prominent, then they have taken the necessary steps to fix it. I only want to discuss what it looks like OOB as that is really what this entire thread is supposed to be about. What the kit looks like without any modifications or corrections so that we, as modellers, can judge it for what it's actually worth and determine what DOES need to be done. 

I believe that the fact that I am having to explain all of this even further is slightly disconcerting.

42 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

I'm not going to open that can of worms about panel line so I'll say whatever you want it to be, it's your model.

Which begs the question:  how big are the panel lines on a can of worms? 

I would think opening the can would have an adverse effect on the panel lines...

:can-of-worms:

(obligatory animated GIF - sans redlines)

40 minutes ago, F-16 said:

Take a read of the Detail and Scale review..... Interesting...

Detail and Scale AMK Tomcat review

After reading that review I have to ask if the kit the reviewer was reviewing the same kit that is the subject of this thread?

The reviewer glosses over and/or ignores issues documented here and then dwells on a couple I haven't even seen mentioned here.

:dontknow:

47 minutes ago, F-16 said:

Speaking of reviews...

Take a read of the Detail and Scale review..... Interesting...

Detail and Scale AMK Tomcat review

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I quickly went to the part regarding aft fuselage and I'd rather trust to my own senses and what Zactoman provides rather than "to me it looks better that Tamiya" (and even Grumman I guess). Then I've not seen a word about incorrect position of IFR doors or weird details on engine nacelles in drawbacks sections, then saw some praising as "best F-14 with no doubt".

And then quickly rewind to the bottom, most valuable part:

"Sincere thanks to Sio SeiHoi, Martin Wilson, and Vicky in the front office at AMK (along with help from the great Scott Bricker) for the review sample."

I simply give no trust to sponsored reviews, they are not honest.

Edited by Tapchan
9 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

I quickly went to the part regarding aft fuselage and I'd rather trust to my own senses and what Zactoman provides rather than "to me it looks better that Tamiya" (and even Grumman I guess). Then I've not seen a word about incorrect position of IFR doors or weird details on engine nacelles in drawbacks sections, then saw some praising as "best F-14 with no doubt".

And then quickly rewind to the bottom, most valuable part:

"Sincere thanks to Sio SeiHoi, Martin Wilson, and Vicky in the front office at AMK (along with help from the great Scott Bricker) for the review sample."

I simply give no trust to sponsored reviews, they are not honest.

Saw it few weeks ago.

It seems to me more a caricature than a real and serious review, the last quote you made and the signed box are the cherry on the cake.

Well, I was always told the proverb "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

If they send me free review sample I am also going to say it's excellent and even better than Grumman's snot.

Edited by Tapchan
7 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Does the same go for access panels that might or might not be open on a model.

Dude, I'm not going to play your little gotcha game.

I was pointing out a technical thing about the real aircraft using a model posted as an example, which regularly happens on a modeling discussion board. Now, if you don't like me posting technical information while using someone's build as an example I recommend you utilize the ignore function this site offers, it will help prevent you from getting sand in certain places.

Now, to answer your question, yes, if a builder wants to open every panel I couldn't care less. But, I do reserve the right to point out technical aspects of said action, after-all, isn't that one of the major purposes of a model discussion board?

I just read a review on this abomination on another website. Who in the hell decides to give modelers the wing positionable leading and trailing flaps with swept-forward option? Seriously an F-14 model that does not allow wing sweep?  

On the other hand I do like the concept of one piece missiles and forward fuselage. The canopy frame and glass seem remarkable too. Furball Aero decals look amazing as always.

3 hours ago, weirich1 said:

I just read a review on this abomination on another website. Who in the hell decides to give modelers the wing positionable leading and trailing flaps with swept-forward option? Seriously an F-14 model that does not allow wing sweep?  

On the other hand I do like the concept of one piece missiles and forward fuselage. The canopy frame and glass seem remarkable too. Furball Aero decals look amazing as always.

You can build it with the wings swept if you like. But you have to choose for some reason.