Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Jennings

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

If someone else was using his account, how could they possibly know that? 

 

Well, if it is as I suspect, it could be another person from AMK Models and that person would be just as familiar with the internal workings of AMK. Honestly, the clue that led me to think this, was the Jennings lament. Martin was in fact around when Jennings was banned, although I am not sure others from AMK were. The "others" I am referring to, didn't establish themselves online until much later afaik. Either way, you are correct this thread needs to die already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys. Anyone able to get a reply from sincere hobby? 

 

Im still waiting for my amk tomcat. They sent me a email in November for the extra shipping. I said yes and ive heard nothing from them since. Ive been emailing the via the contact form their paypal email the info email NADA... 

 

Im a patient guy but this is ridiculous.... and yes i know its not AMK's fault at this point

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 5:13 PM, andrew.deboer said:

I’ll condense that review.

 

”Buon Giorno!

Mama Mia! Thisa AMK F-14D, she’s-a notta box-shaker! She’s-a make me use modeling skills! I’m-a not so good atta test-fit, so I masha these parts together best I can! She is what she is!

Arrivederci!”

 

Dude put the seats together wrong, mixing up the left and right halves so he ended up with one long canopy breaker on each seat. Whoops. The canopy, she doesn’t fit!

 

All kidding aside, the Conclusions section is pretty much spot on. 

 

"Buongiorno!
Mama Mia (maybe you trying to say MAMMA mia)! also this modeler encountered the same problem with the seats and canopy!! 
All of this modelers needs much more modeling skills because they are not so good with the fit of this Tomcat!!!!
Arrivederci!"

😏

Indeed... the canopy won't fit not just for an error during the building of the canopy breaker.... THE CANOPY WON'T FIT, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

418ltfWMq1QVJTkXDAiDtqYAKmcAXKJfrgGu43rm

Edited by Starfighter84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Starfighter84 said:

 

"Buongiorno!
Mama Mia (maybe you trying to say MAMMA mia)! also this modeler encountered the same problem with the seats and canopy!! 
All of this modelers needs much more modeling skills because they are not so good with the fit of this Tomcat!!!!
Arrivederci!"

😏

Indeed... the canopy won't fit not just for an error during the building of the canopy breaker.... THE CANOPY WON'T FIT, PLAIN AND SIMPLE!


Yeah, I came off like a jerk. Sorry about that. Mi scuso.

 

Mine fits. Don’t know what to tell you. To be fair, it is difficult to get the tab on the bottom of the seat inserted properly in the slot in the floor. I have also seen some instances where the cockpit had been slid into the nose with its alignment tabs above  the rail inside the nose, rather than below, which could make the entire cockpit sit higher. 
 

I would cut off the tab on the bottom of the seat and sand the bottom of the seat with a coarse grit. The bottom of the seat will never be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A real Weapons Rail (w/o fairing adapter and fairing) is 160 inches long, 22 inches wide and 11 inches deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

A real Weapons Rail (w/o fairing adapter and fairing) is 160 inches long, 22 inches wide and 11 inches deep.


So a 1/48 Weapons Rail (w/o fairing adapter and fairing) is 3.333” (84.67 mm)  long, 0.458” (11.64 mm) wide and 0.229” (5.82 mm) deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 3:44 AM, Darren Roberts said:

Wow! I go away for a weekend and come back to a billion more pages added to the thread! Okay, that's a bit of hyperbole. 😊 But I'm amazed that we've gone on so many rabbit trails. There's bickering (more than usual) and changing the discussion to other manufacturers back to bickering. It's hard to wrap my head around it all! However, there are some good pictures that have been posted. Let's see if I can summarize the last couple pages of the thread.

 

The area in question is the rear fuselage outside of the tails containing the horizontal stabs. From measurements, it appears that area is no wider than the Tamiya kit. What does appear in error is the slope of that area, causing a "twist" in the wing bladder, which may be the reason everything looked off to some people. From people building it, the fit seems to be very good. I won't touch on the panel lines, because that is a personal preference and really can't be resolved. So, the bottom line seems to be:

 

If your focus is on ease of build and relative accuracy, this will be a great kit to buy. If your focus is on exact accuracy, you will probably want to pass on this kit. If your focus is on detail, it seems to be pretty good, so you might want to pick up the kit. If you just want another Tomcat to add to your collection that's from a different manufacturer, you'll want to pick up this kit. If you're just curious to see how it looks in real life after 226 pages of back and forth discussion with some bomb-throwing and personal attacks tossed in, you'll want to pick up the kit. Did I miss anything? Is it time to move on yet? Has it all been hashed out, or are there other areas that need discussion? For what it's worth, yes the rear area looks to be off, but I'll still be buying one. Of course, I've also bought the old Revell, Fujimi, and Italeri kits as well as building over 80 Monogram kits, so you might want to take my views with a grain of salt. 😂

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 10:46 PM, Neo said:

Hey guys. Anyone able to get a reply from sincere hobby? 

 

Im still waiting for my amk tomcat. They sent me a email in November for the extra shipping. I said yes and ive heard nothing from them since. Ive been emailing the via the contact form their paypal email the info email NADA... 

 

Im a patient guy but this is ridiculous.... and yes i know its not AMK's fault at this point

 

 

 

Same problem here, also tried other email address posted here without success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what. I have bought two of these kits. Yes the instructions are confusing at times.There is  an error around the air bag and the flight refueling area is off and it is not shake and bake like Tamiya so you need to be careful and think your build out but,if you compare the detail of such things as the wheel wells and other options offered it  wins hands down. I will eventually build a Tamiya version but I am yet to see a perfect kit and I have built all manner and types over 50 years. For those procrastinating over buying this kit, don`t. You will be happy you did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Don Jamieson said:

You know what. I have bought two of these kits. Yes the instructions are confusing at times.There is  an error around the air bag and the flight refueling area is off and it is not shake and bake like Tamiya so you need to be careful and think your build out but,if you compare the detail of such things as the wheel wells and other options offered it  wins hands down. I will eventually build a Tamiya version but I am yet to see a perfect kit and I have built all manner and types over 50 years. For those procrastinating over buying this kit, don`t. You will be happy you did.

You will build your Tomcats with the wings open? If  that's the case, well AMK is an option (I really don't know if the best one) but if you will build the kits with the wings full sweep, Tamiya is a far supirior kit almost in all categories.

The only superior category AMK wing over Tamiya is in the decal category. I admit the decals that came with the AMK kit are very nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, joscasle said:

You will build your Tomcats with the wings open? If  that's the case, well AMK is an option (I really don't know if the best one) but if you will build the kits with the wings full sweep, Tamiya is a far supirior kit almost in all categories.

The only superior category AMK wing over Tamiya is in the decal category. I admit the decals that came with the AMK kit are very nice.

 

till you look at them closely and first notice saturation and printing problems, oups features.

 

Then more surprises when you will try to put them, they are pretty weak to decal softener and break easily and have virtually no protective layer:https://www.modelingtime.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19479&start=100

 

Ng7gC9WhvW4WmERQdgk3nTb5mlTLUoSvXoOlvQ0L

 

w9Tnl8CuG5aSRwclcsfDn959zHCcyYsAA0WgoVvD

 

Ei9WyW5e4QXhuCTMOnGcY96TMFvrRBiPrfwJ9eX3

 

 

And it seems the builder asked help to AMK about these decals feature, in vain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joscasle said:

well, not even the decals then!!!😤 😡

No problems with my decals. They have gone on fine and snuggled down well with a little bit of softener here and there.The register is slightly off on some of the stencils but unless you have some bystander get to within dangerously too close "back off, distance" "I am going to hit you" they are fine  People tend to develop a bias in some things. I used to swear by Tamiya for every category of model (I mainly build armor and F1 cars) but other companies have come and produced far superior detailed and accurate models. Then we have another category of modeler who spends most of their time picking something to pieces and never actually building let alone completing something. The Tamiya Tomcat is accurate. I have seen Tomcats up close and have an extensive photo album. I am ex Navy 43 years. Tamiya is "shake and bake" but the detail IS simplified in some areas.Decals for the seat belts "COME ON" really? Swing wing mechanism. I don`t intend to play with it so the position I choose is fine by me to stay with.In a nut shell. If you want the easy way out,buy Tamiya. If you want a challenge and not obsessed to the point of lunacy,build the AMK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll wait for F-14B. Let's see if it will be badass or bad arse again.

Edited by Tapchan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Don Jamieson said:

No problems with my decals. They have gone on fine and snuggled down well with a little bit of softener here and there.The register is slightly off on some of the stencils but unless you have some bystander get to within dangerously too close "back off, distance" "I am going to hit you" they are fine  People tend to develop a bias in some things. I used to swear by Tamiya for every category of model (I mainly build armor and F1 cars) but other companies have come and produced far superior detailed and accurate models. Then we have another category of modeler who spends most of their time picking something to pieces and never actually building let alone completing something. The Tamiya Tomcat is accurate. I have seen Tomcats up close and have an extensive photo album. I am ex Navy 43 years. Tamiya is "shake and bake" but the detail IS simplified in some areas.Decals for the seat belts "COME ON" really? Swing wing mechanism. I don`t intend to play with it so the position I choose is fine by me to stay with.In a nut shell. If you want the easy way out,buy Tamiya. If you want a challenge and not obsessed to the point of lunacy,build the AMK.

 

3 posts on the forum, 3 on this very topic and already this kind of rhetoric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

I'll wait for F-14B. Let's see if it will be badass or bad arse again.

Do try and build something in between. It may be a long wait.

 

10 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

I'll wait for F-14B. Let's see if it will be badass or bad arse again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joscasle said:

You will build your Tomcats with the wings open? If  that's the case, well AMK is an option (I really don't know if the best one) but if you will build the kits with the wings full sweep, Tamiya is a far supirior kit almost in all categories.

The only superior category AMK wing over Tamiya is in the decal category. I admit the decals that came with the AMK kit are very nice.

Actually, the AMK kit is superior to Tamiya in detail. The Tamiya is superior to AMK in ease of build and accuracy. I most always use aftermarket decals, so that pertain to me. On the list of Best Tomcats (in my judgement), Tamiya is in 1st and AMK is in 2nd, but the chasm between the two is pretty wide. The only possible kit that could overcome the Tamiya kit is the GWH offering if/when it comes out. If Academy releases their 1/72 scale in1/48, that might give the Tamiya a run for its money. I'd say Tamiya will remain king of the hill for the foreseeable future, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

29 minutes ago, Don Jamieson said:

Do try and build something in between. It may be a long wait.

 

 

 

On 2/23/2020 at 4:10 PM, Tapchan said:

We should have more material for discuss soon:

2060307203_2020-02-2316_04_38-OfficialAMK(Avantgarde)FanClubOpera.png.7273cfc50568d3947d982996a9bbd53c.png

F-14D was released in October, "couple of months later" have began lately.

 

Should't be 😄

 

But in case of some slight delay (no one expects it) I have some kits in queue - 4 should be more than enough with my pace, especially that some cool news from GWH, Zoukei-Mura and KittyHawk are coming this year, which should at least double my current stash.

Edited by Tapchan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, shion said:

 

3 posts on the forum, 3 on this very topic and already this kind of rhetoric.

What jumped out at me was the "43" years in the Navy, I haven't heard of anyone doing that much time in the Navy for 25+ years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

What jumped out at me was the "43" years in the Navy, I haven't heard of anyone doing that much time in the Navy for 25+ years.

I joined the Royal Australian Navy as a Junior Recruit on the 11 October 1973 (15 years  and 10 months of age)and transferred to Reserves as a Lieutenant Commander after 43 years 131 days on the 10 April 2017 .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Don Jamieson said:

I joined the Royal Australian Navy as a Junior Recruit on the 11 October 1973 (15 years  and 10 months of age)and transferred to Reserves as a Lieutenant Commander after 43 years 131 days on the 10 April 2017 .

Thought you were referring to the US Navy since you said you have been around Tomcats.

 

Retired USN Ordnanceman here, welcome to the lunacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 8:30 AM, Darren Roberts said:

I've found something on the AMK kit that I don't think has been mentioned. I'm about to put on the spine antennas. They call out the same part (O 10) for both the front and rear placement. That's incorrect. The tall TACAN antenna is just behind the canopy and the original, smaller one is behind the GPS dome. They only give you the tall TACAN. Then, when I found the parts on the sprue, they were bullet shaped. I don't know if they were short shots or not. Can anyone with the kit check their's and see what those parts look like. And no, this still doesn't change my mind to being that the AMK kit is horrible! 😂

No, They are both the same size. I am thinking to make my own and replace it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...