Personally I am going to buy one of each kit and see which one I like the best. Sometimes its nice to have a stress free build (hase a-4, tamiya f-16) and sometimes you want to go all out with things open and hanging out. Seems to me we are getting a pretty sweet deal with two new F-14 kits.

Agreed.

Tamiya in flight diorama, AMK cat launch or trap diorama.

I'm liking your trap diorama idea a lot.

Steve

From the AMK Facebook page:

We can also confirm that there will be two types of wing included. One will be fully closed and slick, the other options for opening all spoilers and flaps etc. You choose what you want to build.

+1 for the shortened front landing gear, to depict a cat launch. Now if AMK REALLY wanted to spoil us, the "dolly" (I think thats what its called?) that the front panding gear attaches to. I think trying to include the whole blast deflector would probably bump up the cost too much for most people.

It could be good to have flat main gear wheels.

I also prefer to have kit with all clear position lights possible.

Be careful with the flat gear. Maybe a very small flat spot where the tire meets the ground. High pressure tires have very little "bulge" to them.

Be careful with the flat gear. Maybe a very small flat spot where the tire meets the ground. High pressure tires have very little "bulge" to them.

Agreed on this, I haven't seen the usual ground based plane tyre bulges on Navy aircraft.

I hope they have the IFR probe and bay a la Hobby Boss (but a better rendition), clear posotion lights and a corrct length arrestor hook!

now if AMK wanted to turn the world upside down, and print some more cash. Offer a carrier deck section with all the catapult stuff and blast deflector. Maybe even a tractor with crew figures to boot. Then we could do a nice cat launch scene. I'd buy one of the kits!

gary

now if AMK wanted to turn the world upside down, and print some more cash. Offer a carrier deck section with all the catapult stuff and blast deflector. Maybe even a tractor with crew figures to boot. Then we could do a nice cat launch scene. I'd buy one of the kits!

gary

They could offer that as a separate kit.

I mean something like main wheels in GWH F-15:

283.jpg

Maybe even a tractor with crew figures to boot. Then we could do a nice cat launch scene. I'd buy one of the kits!

gary

Good idea, especially such thing like tractor or bomb carrier it is nothing unusual.

Meng lately add such carrier in their F-106A model, 1:72.

From what my Navy guys tell me they reduce air pressure in their tires when they are doing land based ops.

Yep...which is why we briefed "greaser" type landings on fly-in days. I've seen a few AirWing aircraft do a carrier type approach/landing on high pressure "boat" tires and blow a few on those fly-in landings.

Cheers

Collin

I've seen a few AirWing aircraft do a carrier type approach/landing on high pressure "boat" tires and blow a few on those fly-in landings.

How is a carrier-type landing on pavement different than on a carrier ... as regards blown tires? Does the carrier deck "give" to absorb some energy?

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

How is a carrier-type landing on pavement different than on a carrier ... as regards blown tires? Does the carrier deck "give" to absorb some energy?

Sink rate....

Habu, by just saying "sink rate", do you mean there are/were three different rates?

One for a carrier landing, one for a fixed base landing,,,,,,,and one for a "carrier type landing" on a fixed base?

Yeah, I am only familiar with two sink rates, from my past.

The "Air Force" rate,,and the carrier sink rate used coming aboard ship, and when landing on the ground.

The thinking back then was that you had to use the carrier rate on land, because if you floated in over the fantail, you died. So, you practiced the same way you would land the most often.

I was just asking because I suppose it is possible that instead of two, there are now three, due to some change in doctrine. Maybe to save on equipment or such.

Our aircraft, visiting a USAF air base, was the source of many jokes by Air Force types back in the seventies.