3 hours ago, habu2 said:

Yeah, and if Tamiya was really clever they would have updated their F-16C kit to a D or even an A.  The molds for that kit is also modular and would require only a couple of sprues.  But here we are a full decade later, still waiting..... so I wouldn't hold my breath on a B/D Tomcat.

Tomcat stuff is way more popular than Viper stuff. Tamiya would be foolish not to do the parts for a late A / B version.

Steve

18 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Notice what Tamiya did...nothing about the F-14 until literally a week before it debuted, and even then it was only rumors. The way they announced the F-14 was a built up test copy, pictures of sprues and details on markings. 

What AMK did is get people whipped up into a frenzy, give update after update after update, saying "Around Christmas!"...and then when it didn't happen they elected to go completely silent. They went so silent that it caused people to wonder if the project was even still happening, or if AMK was still intact as a company.

You just compared a tiny tiny company to an absolute giant in the modeling world, Tamiya. Tamiya will sell no matter what they do. They can spend 0 on marketing or any sort of promotions, snippets or whatever, and there will still be hoards buying their kits. Because they are extremely well established and because their name is a synonym with quality. So no, just dropping a kit is not an option for AMK or any other tiny company.

On one hand AMK is accused of giving too many updates, and on the other they are accused on giving too few. And both of those are found in the part i quoted you on. Literally cant win. If they dont announce the model or show any CADs, any testbuilds, any videos, any pictures, anything, they will loose financially because nobody will know about them. If they do all of the above they are accused of "get people whipped up into a frenzy"...

It comes when it comes. We all have a stash. 

We live in a world of hype. People are queuing up for a new iPhone even though it offers nothing new and Tesla's market value is bigger than Ford's. What AMK has promised is nothing extarordinary.

Ooooh, Tesla, and AMK, in one sentence. Allow me to finish it off:

yjooj2mpnpfshv9vvjof_zpsgvfxmqj0.gif

My work is done here.

tufted-duck-windy-day_zpst2zr5zbx.jpg

Hi Berkut! No hard feeling, right bud? :kissing2:

Edited by Pete

Not bad Pete (<3), but me being the nitpicking rivet counter that i am; i have to inform you that Tesla and AMK are in fact not in the same sentence in Jan's comment. :banana:

But there is a duck picture, so atleast there is that.

On 4/7/2017 at 5:15 PM, habu2 said:

Yeah, and if Tamiya was really clever they would have updated their F-16C kit to a D or even an A.  The molds for that kit is also modular and would require only a couple of sprues.  But here we are a full decade later, still waiting..... so I wouldn't hold my breath on a B/D Tomcat.

We have been waiting for a Tamiya F-16D forever. Knowing fully well their current F-16 kits are engineered to accommodate a two seat version. We have been waiting for D version in 1/32 since 2005 and for 1/48 since 2007. So by that logic waiting for F-14C or D version will be simply futile. 

3 minutes ago, stalal said:

We have been waiting for a Tamiya F-16D forever. Knowing fully well their current F-16 kits are engineered to accommodate a two seat version. We have been waiting for D version in 1/32 since 2005 and for 1/48 since 2007. So by that logic waiting for F-14C or D version will be simply futile. 

Well if you're going to be waiting for  F-14C you're going to be waiting an especially long, long time. 

Regardless of what Tamiya is doing...

AMK MiG-31 builders: what is the quality of the kit decals included? Can we expect the same (or better?) quality decals in the F-14D kit? I always feel I get extra value from a kit when the decals are actually usable right out of the box. 

13 hours ago, jester292 said:

Regardless of what Tamiya is doing...

AMK MiG-31 builders: what is the quality of the kit decals included? Can we expect the same (or better?) quality decals in the F-14D kit? I always feel I get extra value from a kit when the decals are actually usable right out of the box. 

the decals in my AMK MiG-31 are behaving very nicely with MicroSol.  the settle in to the recessed detail and over the raised detail and the clear carrier film is pretty much invisible by next morning.  in summary, the quality is great!

-Ramon

3 hours ago, anvil6 said:

the decals in my AMK MiG-31 are behaving very nicely with MicroSol.  the settle in to the recessed detail and over the raised detail and the clear carrier film is pretty much invisible by next morning.  in summary, the quality is great!

-Ramon

I always thought the Phantom to be a stencil monster! Yet looking at the two decal sheets supplied with the MIG, I can see a very lengthy operation in applying the decals on the MIG. I'd also suspect the Tomcat to be even worse! Quality wise; I'd place them right there with Cartograph.

gary 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Berkut said:

Just heads up, AMK will be doing 5000 pcs preorder before starting a production for full, see the last two posts; https://nb-no.facebook.com/avantgardemodelkits/

+ Some more detail in the comments by Sio.

For those who don't want to go out to the link..

If they don't get 5,000 pre-orders the kit won't be produced until 2018.

If they get 5,000 pre-orders the kit will be run around December 1st 

Further to that:

They have to get 5000 pre-orders by the end of the month, or the kit won't be produced until 2018.

They want you to pre-order with your LHS.  If your LHS doesn't do pre-orders  (which, basically means every LHS), they hope to have a way for you to pre-order in a couple of weeks.

The pre-order price will be substantially lower than the regular retail price.  

They haven't actualy said what the pre-order price will be, though.  Or the regular retail price.

5000 kits is basically a regular, full production run for a mainstream manufacturer.  So basically, if they can't pre-sell every kit they produce, they'll put production on hold.

IMO, unless major distributors get behind it in a big, big way, I really don't see them pulling it off.  I also wonder about the nuts and bolts of how exactly it's supposed to work - do they plan to bump the factory's regular paying customers to tool the model kit (since AMK is an offshoot of a tooling shop), or do they plan to outsource it too someone else?  What will happen to all those pre-orders if they *don't* hit the magic number?  How much chaos will that cause for the on-line shops accepting pre-orders?  What's going to happen, if they don't hit 5000, to the probably substantial number of customers who don't really understand how this is going to work, and get really, really angry when the kit doesn't turn up, because "I pre-ordered for a December release and now it's not here and they won't even say when it'll be released!"  What will happen if they *do* hit 5000 because people go nuts with the pre-orders then, for a variety of reasons, cancel their pre-orders once the kit has been greenlit (ie.: "I'm definitely going to buy 50 kits... no wait, maybe I'll wait and if the reviews are good once it's released, I'll buy one, if I can find it on sale for half price at a model contest...").

Maybe I'm just Mr. Negativity, but I see a whole bunch of ways this could go south.

I read Sio's posts yesterday and today several times, it still doesn't make sense to me. Can somebody explain? From their FB page:

"Pre Order Tomcats. Recommended Retail Price for the preorder will be FAR cheaper than the post release kit. This is to incentivise the sale of these kits. Remember, send no money now. We are not asking for money. The company is fine but we just want to bring this release forward in time and be sure of the date."

"....Second, as you guys know, the 1/72 Kfir moulds were completed a long time ago. The delay was due to the fact that our factory is very busy making some minor changes to make the kit as good as it could be. Therefore, we cannot release it until June. 

We don't want to repeat this glitch for our Tomcat. It is too important. So now, we are accepting preorders. If we can achieve a goal of 5000 pcs, we will run the production at full speed ahead...."

The bold emphasis is mine. 

The first implies it is not a cash problem. But I just don't understand what the mean by what I bolded above. All I understand is if they hit 5000 preorders, they will prioritize this project. But, still all is oddly strange to me.

Sio, can you perhaps clarify? I want to support AMK with the F-14 but I will certainly not place a preorder. 

27 minutes ago, fulcrum1 said:

Am I missing something or did AMK say we have to pre-order without exactly telling us how. 

exactly what i was thinking! ...i guess sincerehobby will accept them soon as they are their "official" HK distributor.

i dig a little in the AMK FB and sio claim:

Avantgarde Model Kits Better order from your LOCAL distributor. If no, be a bit patient! We will announce the countries with distributors taking preorders. For those countries without distributors taking preorders, we will have some other way for you guys in half a month. Sio

2 hours ago, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

They're not going to get any pre-orders if they don't let the hobby shops and distributors know. I checked with a dealer I know and they had no idea. 

if you read Sio's post, he said they are going to post a list of shops to buy from. He said three days or so, so I expect it next week.

gary