15 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I honestly think down the road EDM processes with be replaced with diamond water jet as it's accuracy and quality steadily increases. The price of keeping a 500 amp power supply is serious, let alone the miles (literally miles) of brass wire. Copper inert tungsten has gotten so ridicules that the Government has stepped in to regulate the supply. I suspect that down the road someone will develop a process to rough in the molds with a powder metal casting, and then finish it out by hand. 

Two secret projects? One better be an F100d!

gary 

I thought that additive manufacturing such as DMG/Mori Lasertec machines would be the future of tooling? Cut the main shape with a 5-axis milling machine and then add the fine detail with laser additive technology. I know of at least two manufacturers in our hobby that have gone down this route...

Jeffrey

10 hours ago, dehowie said:

[Zoukei-Mura is] a pretty poor example of a company who does not listen or respond....

Don't feed Uwe - he's been stuck in a never ending snide about the ZM Phantom rear fuselage "problem" . 

(yes, my remark will set him off ... again):rolleyes:

Gene K

6 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

I thought that additive manufacturing such as DMG/Mori Lasertec machines would be the future of tooling? Cut the main shape with a 5-axis milling machine and then add the fine detail with laser additive technology. I know of at least two manufacturers in our hobby that have gone down this route...

Who ?

8 hours ago, Gene K said:

Don't feed Uwe - he's been stuck in a never ending snide about the ZM Phantom rear fuselage "problem" . 

(yes, my remark will set him off ... again):rolleyes:

Gene K

Well i guess thats better than being stuck in a world based off iinformation basing assesments off test shots... 

You read it on the internet so it must be true...:rolleyes:

Still it is proof that no matter what someone writes these days someone will believe it no matter what it says...

Edited by dehowie
8 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Jeffrey

never been around them as laser cutting machines are pretty much banned in my neck of the woods due to fatalities in the work place. We had one doing work on gas turbine blades, and by the time we sent it to the scrap yard it'd already killed at least three people. Back in the mid eighties we went to look at three laser cutting machines for a TACOM project. I liked the way they worked, but a week later the one we already owned killed number three while he was adjusting the mirrors. Plus at about the same time we started to see some other major issues with radiation in a couple others machines that were similar. In 24 months all were gone. When you see radiation detectors placed all around a machine, run from it!

gary 

9 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

never been around them as laser cutting machines are pretty much banned in my neck of the woods due to fatalities in the work place. We had one doing work on gas turbine blades, and by the time we sent it to the scrap yard it'd already killed at least three people. Back in the mid eighties we went to look at three laser cutting machines for a TACOM project. I liked the way they worked, but a week later the one we already owned killed number three while he was adjusting the mirrors. Plus at about the same time we started to see some other major issues with radiation in a couple others machines that were similar. In 24 months all were gone. When you see radiation detectors placed all around a machine, run from it!

gary 

It's not laser cutting, it's laser depositing. The cutting would be done with a 5-axis milling machine, but the small details and surface features would then be build up into the cavity by an additive process where a let of tiny metal particles is melted onto the surface by the laser.

Edited by JeffreyK
1 hour ago, JeffreyK said:

It's not laser cutting, it's laser depositing. The cutting would be done with a 5-axis milling machine, but the small details and surface features would then be build up into the cavity by an additive process where a let of tiny metal particles is melted onto the surface by the laser.

I am familiar with a similar process, but not as accurate. Machine was built by METCO in Ohio.  Always amazed me at how fast it worked.  We had to recut the sprayed areas again, but on the otherhand it would apply .070" to a 24" bore that was 24" deep in about 40 minutes.  We already had a dedicated boring complex to recut the bore much more accurately than you could cut it on a CNC machine center. Only reason we reworked the part was due to porosity in the metal, and by the time it got to that point we already had seven days machine time in it. The next operation was to cut a keyway that was 25mm wide and standard depth on another dedicated machine.  Casting was very complex and all dimensions were aircraft rated.  I later used that machine to build up badly worn machine ways with a ceramic compound onto 9010 hardened steel. Had to grind them with a diamond wheel, but they lasted for what seemed like forever. I left shortly after that, and rarely went back in there. 

gary

2 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Your text talks about deposit but there's no deposit in the video. There is in the following video...

what would C3PO say?

going seriously off topic but if the lasers are getting this advanced day by day what prevents abandoning the molds and shaping the plastic lumps itself directly via laser - it can be dialed down to barely scratch human tissue, no? a lot of plastic would go to waste that's given but considering the amount of fuss caused by mold making one would wonder which'd be cheaper, easier, faster and accurate....?

2 hours ago, murad said:

what would C3PO say?

going seriously off topic but if the lasers are getting this advanced day by day what prevents abandoning the molds and shaping the plastic lumps itself directly via laser - it can be dialed down to barely scratch human tissue, no? a lot of plastic would go to waste that's given but considering the amount of fuss caused by mold making one would wonder which'd be cheaper, easier, faster and accurate....?

I think it is better and cheaper to do it the other way around, like using lasers to harden resin plastic in a vat, and sort of print the parts in 3D. That kind of technology would be a game changer! 

Too bad it is already invented, and used by many model making companies already ;-)

10 hours ago, Laurent said:

Your text talks about deposit but there's no deposit in the video. There is in the following video...

must be an off shore rig, as the first thing I saw was an electron beam with a wire feed into some where. Late 1970's technology. The basic cone would be turned on a CNC lathe in roughly six or seven minutes. The mill work for the blades is done everyday in the jet engine business, BUT they have another process to virtually make those blades come out perfect (if need be). 

For those in the know and those wanting to know; the machine time for a compressor blade is roughly three minutes. The finish process takes about twenty seconds. Don't ask how.

glt

As I always said - you guys are sharp man.
Good spot - 1/48 secret projects are coming - to be announced in Q4 2018 - some kits that have been very much ignored - but why? Iconic, romantic perhaps, certainly unique..... more on that later.....

Coming up:

F-14D Tomcat

MiG-25 hmmmmmm speculation.... what boxings? I know :) at least 3x boxes if not more than that.

APA-5D Starter towing tractor in 1/48 - maybe other airfield accessories..... who knows?

L-39 ------ but what variants?? LOL I love them all......3 boxes - probably.......maybe more....

OMG you are going to love 2018 and 2019..... I promise you my mates.

19 hours ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

Good spot - 1/48 secret projects are coming - to be announced in Q4 2018 - some kits that have been very much ignored - but why? Iconic, romantic perhaps, certainly unique..... more on that later.....

Coming up:

F-14D Tomcat

MiG-25 hmmmmmm speculation.... what boxings? I know :) at least 3x boxes if not more than that.

APA-5D Starter towing tractor in 1/48 - maybe other airfield accessories..... who knows?

L-39 ------ but what variants?? LOL I love them all......3 boxes - probably.......maybe more....

The best laid plans of men....

I hope so Martin.   Many of us thought the F-14D and MiG-25 were going to be in 2017.  

Steve

FTFY

Good spot - 1/48 secret projects are coming - to be announced in Q4 2018 (released in Q42027)- some kits that have been very much ignored - but why? Iconic, romantic perhaps, certainly unique..... more on that later, but probably never

Coming up:

F-14D Tomcat :-/

MiG-25 hmmmmmm speculation? Yes..... what boxings? I know :) at least 3x boxes if not more than that. But we'll keep you hanging for upwards of X-years

APA-5D Starter towing tractor in 1/48 - maybe other airfield accessories..... who knows? Maybe a free gift to all our loyal fans :-/

L-39 ------ but what variants?? LOL I love them all......3 (theres that number again) boxes - probably.......maybe more.... maybe none :)

OMG you are going to love 2018 and 2019..... well, more like 2027. We like to anounce things much, much, MUCH earlier than we can possibily release them. 

And keep an eye out for another another 2... 3 maybe. Maybe more... pre order circuses!

On 12/23/2017 at 12:05 AM, Martin @ AMK Models said:

Coming up:

F-14D Tomcat

Accurate, easy to build Su-25 anyone please? Both single and two seat versions. 

6 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

where is the beef? 70 pages and still no beef steak

Early 2018 for sure...but maybe mid-2018 if this or that happens...with a slight chance of late 2018 if the other thing happens. 2019 at the absolute latest though...

:rolleyes: