Embarrassed at US Women's Soccer Team

So why is this any better than WWE?---John

A few things:

1) I don't watch women's soccer either

2) Other than the diving and feigned injuries, I think there is real skill involved and the outcome is always in doubt

3) Girls are always better to look at than huge men on steroids, even if half of them shave. ;)

Not "just as bad" - they're far worse.

How often do you see a guy go down, and stay down until they realise the ref won't make a call? Compare that to how often you see the girl hit the ground and she's back up in an instant and playing on? Oh, and how often would you see something like the Korean goalie, who broke her collarbone in the match v France... and played through it? Maybe in hockey, not in footie.

In their defense when the guys go down they are moving at far greater speeds.

91264415cool_1_gif.gif

Come at me bro.

For me its not an issue of diving. The issue is the US plowing into people then being offended when its called and even going so far as to claim conspiracy after the game. physical players get cards, you live by the sword you die by the sword.

The US has fallen a long way from that 1999 team. :crying2:/> Buncha spoiled babies out there. Abby Waumbach took an entire year off to train by herself, and didn't even have to earn her spot back on the team? It was just "welcome back" This is for an older player that didn't have to compete for her spot?

Lastly the 1999 team should be bearing fruit right now. Little girls that grew up inspired by that should be in their early to mid 20s, we should have a plethora of young talent, instead we are holding onto the old a**es and trying to do the same things didn't work before, to a greater extreme.I can't beat root for these people because they are toxic individuals.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

I am a casual World Cup fan. I've watched a handful of matches with my daughter, what you have described the US team to do, seems on par with most other matches I have seen from other nations. Maybe people pay attention to their home team more, maybe not. Every match, whether men or women have these same things going on. Good thing is, you have a choice to watch or not, and do what makes you happy.

Go USA!

Megan Rapinoe is the only one on the US team truly respect-worthy, and is by far the most underrated player in the world, male or female. The rest of them? Yeah, not so much. Wambach (or Wombat, as my dad calls her) is okay, but way overhyped. The US *has* fallen a long way since 1999, but everyone thinks they're still the shoot because of the performance at the 2012 Olympics in beating Canada... which only happened because the ref decided to call a ridiculous call against Erin McLeod.

Such a thing also just happened in the recent NZ-PRC match, which ended 2:2 because of an awful call against Ria Percival, which gave the Chicoms a penalty kick that allowed them to tie the match at 1:1. Otherwise, that would've been an NZ win.

That is the one biggest problem with women's football - the on-pitch skill has improved far more than the referees' skill. Far too often horrible calls are made, either deliberately or because of inexperience. For my part, at the World Cup level, until such time as there are enough *quality* female refs to fill the referees' roster for the tournament, I would have no issue with seeing quality male refs officiating.

A bit confused, I don't follow soccer, golf, WWE, WWF, basketball, tennis,

synchronized swimming or F1. But isn't it the best team that wins? Didn't

the U S team just beat China. Does this make them bad or good?Why be ashamed

of winners, or do they whine to win? I am lost.---John

I have have little interest in soccer, but do note the Oz media hyping up our men's soccer team every WC, and every WC it comes to nothing.

This is arrant nonsense. The Socceroos went to Brazil with everyone in the press and most Australians expecting the very young and new team with a rookie coach to be absolutely smashed.

I recommend that you trouble yourself to google for reports of the games they played - preferably from non Australian sources so that you can eliminate what you would no doubt call Aussie media hype

Shane

A bit confused, I don't follow soccer, golf, WWE, WWF, basketball, tennis,

synchronized swimming or F1. But isn't it the best team that wins? Didn't

the U S team just beat China. Does this make them bad or good?Why be ashamed

of winners, or do they whine to win? I am lost.---John

The best team doesn't always win in any sport. Generally, yes the better team does win most of the time. But at other times bad breaks or a hot goalie can steal a solid performance by a team.

It is easy to be ashamed of a winner if they are not good sports. I've coached a lot of hockey games where my team should have won but winning isn't everything. Playing honest and clean is the best victory.

Megan Rapinoe is the only one on the US team truly respect-worthy, and is by far the most underrated player in the world, male or female. The rest of them? Yeah, not so much. Wambach (or Wombat, as my dad calls her) is okay, but way overhyped. The US *has* fallen a long way since 1999, but everyone thinks they're still the shoot because of the performance at the 2012 Olympics in beating Canada... which only happened because the ref decided to call a ridiculous call against Erin McLeod.

I truly don't think that was a poor call. It was a dirty call. There is no possible way that call was made without some sort of external influence. FIFA's corruption didn't stop at women's soccer.

Throughout this tournament I haven't seen a single keeper not hold onto the ball more than 6 seconds.

Loved that pic in the original post. I saw the UK's women's team in the airport in Toronto a few weeks back... while some do have a 5 o'clock shadow, many are rather..... inspiring, shall we say! :woot.gif:

My favourite commentary on diving in soccer.

funny-FIFA-scandal-cartoon-foul_zps7sfxqufu.jpg

ALF

I truly don't think that was a poor call. It was a dirty call. There is no possible way that call was made without some sort of external influence. FIFA's corruption didn't stop at women's soccer.

Yeah, I didn't want to say that, but I absolutely agree. Without a doubt, that was a call made with the specific intent to try to allow the US to win.

Loved that pic in the original post. I saw the UK's women's team in the airport in Toronto a few weeks back... while some do have a 5 o'clock shadow, many are rather..... inspiring, shall we say! :woot.gif:/>

I saw the Aussie team yesterday at a mall in Edmonton. With the games being played here I have seen several teams around town,

Yeah, I didn't want to say that, but I absolutely agree. Without a doubt, that was a call made with the specific intent to try to allow the US to win.

Not an ounce of doubt, I've read that call has never been made in international play.

I know I've never seen it called at the professional level.

Edited by Scooby

I saw the Aussie team yesterday at a mall in Edmonton. With the games being played here I have seen several teams around town,

They got knocked out by Japan today....so should be hitting the Fosters in the Edmonton clubs tonight.......actually, no one in Australia drinks that stuff any more, but movie producers don't seem to realise (watched 'My Life In Ruins' last night, with the obligatory Aussie couple sucking on cans of Fosters :wacko: )

More then likely it is Fosters paying for ad placement, the directors are making money so they don't really care on top of it fits the stereotype. Win win for them.

Haven't watched any World Cup this time. Sad to hear it appears to going the way of the men's game.

I don't know how conspiratorial that was, I just think the Refs are terrible. The French got screwed several times yesterday. I think the Aussies have reason to be unhappy too I hear.

My girl Sesselmann had a bad day....

I don't know how conspiratorial that was, I just think the Refs are terrible. The French got screwed several times yesterday. I think the Aussies have reason to be unhappy too I hear.

My girl Sesselmann had a bad day....

Last Olympics, Canada was leading 3-2 with little time left. Our goalie was called for holding the ball longer than 6 seconds. U.S. was given a penalty kick and scored to tie late in the game. U.S. won in extra time.

I've never seen that call made.

Sesselmann was actually the weak link on this current team. The saddest thing about the loss yesterday, despite the two mistakes I feel it was the best game they played. They had solid chances to put more balls in the net.

The best team doesn't always win in any sport. Generally, yes the better team does win most of the time. But at other times bad breaks or a hot goalie can steal a solid performance by a team.

It is easy to be ashamed of a winner if they are not good sports. I've coached a lot of hockey games where my team should have won but winning isn't everything. Playing honest and clean is the best victory.

Oh, no comment.---John