NATO"s LanceR - Finale!

Many thanks, guys!

Dragan, I know these birds were all shiny at one point, but I've got plenty of pics showing a lot of wear and tear- and dirt! I'm building mine to appear near the end of it's service life. Clean airplanes are just too boring for me! Nice pic- thanks! Saved for reference.

Now, it will be as long as two months until my next update. The bench is packed up, and our house goes up for sale in just a few days. My wife and I are moving from sunny LA to beautiful, peaceful Whidbey Island in Washington, just across Puget Sound from the big Boeing factory in Everett. I'll miss the bikini-clad rollerskating hotties, but not the traffic! ;)/>

31674303.jpg

Edited by chukw

Chuck,

Don't know how I missed the start of another one of your adventures, so I signed up with the girls for the full ride.

Good luck on the move. You went from sunshine to mostly cloudy and rainy days. But the peace and quiet will make up for it.

Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

• 4 months later...

Thanks, guys!

Kapitan Andrea and I are back in gear! The move went well, and we're adapting to our new lives in a new home and anew place. I won't say it was entirely easy, but we've persevered. I was able to get back to the bench in early December, but this is the first time I've been ready to post again- read on!

MiG21_027.jpg

MiG21_028.jpg

MiG21_029.jpg

MiG21_030.jpg

MiG21_031.jpg

MiG21_032.jpg

MiG21_033.jpg

MiG21_034.jpg

MiG21_035.jpg

MiG21_036.jpg

Hi Chukw,

If you have a closer look on the inside of the fins they also have the engraved lines. In design phase there was an idea to make a “working” version of the MiG-21 kit with LED light and some glass fibre connections to the position lights on the airframe. On the MiG-21 the position lights are not on the wing tip but along the way on the leading edge of the wing exactly where those engraved lines go to. The “working” version of the Eduard kit has not surfaced till now, but you never know what will happen in future.

Best regards

Gabor

Fantastic work as usual Chuck! A pleasure to follow your builds trying to learn from your experience. Just a question about materials used: Odorless Turpenoid seems not available here in Europe, what about Winsor&Newton "Sansodor"? Could it be a good substitute?

Many thanks, guys- you're all too kind! :)

Skydivin- I got the scrapers from Luckymodel. You get two per pack. They are useful!

Gabor, I can sleep at night thanks to you- cheers! I think I can assume that the strange moldings on those two fuselage bulkheads are intended for a battery mount and switch, no? It all makes sense!

Andrea- Sansodor makes sense to me- Humbrol thinners also work perfectly.

BONUS TIP: There is also a bulkhead to close off the cockpit front included on the clear parts sprue! It's not mentioned in the instructions- a friend pointed that out to me.

Cheers!

chuk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Of course I can, Youngtiger1! ;)

Life after a big move throws a lot of surprises at you, along with all of life's regular highs and lows. Just in modeling I've gone through periods of not even looking at the bench, to hours of studying the subject and subsequent squalls of charging ahead and then banging my against the table. It's been about 7 weeks since my last post, so here's a long one for you. Forgive me if I reiterate some basics- my original mission remains to instruct and entertain, and help grow our beloved hobby. Cheers!

MiG21_045.jpg

MiG21_046.jpg

MiG21_047.jpg

MiG21_049.jpg

MiG21_050.jpg

MiG21_051.jpg

MiG21_052.jpg

MiG21_053.jpg

MiG21_054.jpg

MiG21_055.jpg

• chukw changed the title to NATO"s LanceR - Finale!