Classic Models GB  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a Classic Models GB?

I've not participated in a group build but with Aaronw absent and my big mouth reviving the idea, I feel obliged to at least ask what's involved?

Group builds are easy to run.

First continue with this poll and get 25 yes votes. Then submit the plan including who is going to moderate. Once approved a date is set and things are set up for you.

You start the threads in the section given to you. Like "what are you going to build, rules, completed builds, incentive " etc.

Then log in and encourage people building in your GB. Prizes are nice but not a requirement. But if your going to gather up prizes make sure you hand them out.

We have had a couple GBs finish when prizes where promised but never handed out, that sucked. Again they are NOT a requirement but they certainly help to motivate.

Takes maybe 5 minutes of your time a day for the six months of a typical GB.

• 3 months later...

Sorry it took so long to get back to this, folks.

I got in touch with four of the manufacturers from the classic era that still manufacture and asked for some styrene incentives to mail out as prizes for the group build.

Revell responded, putting me in touch with their Australian representatives, Southern Model Supplies in Melrose, South Australia. They mailed me a parcel. I was expecting some 1/72 Spits and 109s or the like, but it turned out to be a big parcel. Inside it, the new Airfix Shackleton, a 1/80 B-57 from the Revell Classics, a 1/54 Honest John Missile also from the Revell Classics line, a 1/24 Revell Vostok 1 and two 1/24 Revell Chrysler Hemis.

I will now do the things that get a Group Build moving.

I really hope the Australians pull out all stops on this.

If I have to mail all this booty to the USA it will break me.

Thanks, Southern Model Supplies. You are teh awesomes.

IMG_2344_zps357205pc.jpg

Generous indeed! Quite a nice set of prizes for the GB.

Really looking forward to this, as I already build a lot of "classic" kits, and am interested to see what others with more skill can do with them!

Mike

You can't submit a model that has already been built? It has to be built during the GB date, correct?

Correct. Unless the GB moderator(s) allows a certain percentage of a kit to be built prior to the GB start date. The general idea is to work on your chosen model between the GB start and end dates posting work in progress pictures along the way.

HTH

:cheers:

Good granny where to begin :wacko: ! So many classic models to choose from and more then a few companies who qualify.

• 5 months later...

Just realized this GB is on the calendar for January. I know we still have some time until then, but I'll be gathering up things to build a Matchbox Do28 or Heller Nord Noratlas!

Edited by Kingoalie
  • 3 weeks later...

This is coming up soon.  I'm going to try to do a couple since I have a bunch of kits that qualify but up first will be a Monogram 1/48 P-40B.  Since there has been a lot of talk about the new Airfix P-40 I want to see what I can do with the old one, plus I still have a set of decals to make an Egyptian aircraft.  

I have been on a big armor kick lately and even though I know ARC isn't huge on armor I am planning on this classic kit from Tamiya (1977) which I purchased in the early 1980's and haven't started yet (its suffered long enough...):

hqdefault.jpg

And I hope this classic Tamiya kit (1975):

tamiya-japanese-medium-tank-type-97-chi-ha-D_NQ_NP_801001-MLC20267427111_032015-O.jpg

I will need decals for the Panzer IV as mine are shot. Tacks are badly warped too and will likely need replacing (and they are the original rubber tracks which are terrible to work with).  The CHI-HA I don't have yet but its been on my list of "to-do's" since...well...the 80's! I know I can get one for under $15 from Amazon so it won't break the bank.

Should be a fun GB!

• 4 weeks later...