Hey guys-

I've been out of the hobby for quite some time - lost all my stuff to a house fire a few years back - and even before that, it had been some time since I built a model.

Well, I have been piddling with the idea of getting back into the hobby and won an auction on a 1/48 TA-4J last night, so I guess I should at least build it.

Starting 100% from scratch here. I don't even know if I have an Xacto anymore. LOL

Anyway..

I used to use Tenax 7R as my go to adhesive, but see that it has since been maybe discontinued and then reforumlated and this has made me start to research glues.

I say all that to say...

Anyone using MEK as an adhesive or is there something better?

I just use the regular Tamiya normal cement, and a bottle of Tamiya extra thin cement for delicate parts. I also have a bottle of Micro scale micro weld, which is a fantastic glue since it leaves no traces when dry. And then there is my white glue for clear parts.

I've not used MEK in modelling, but we did use it on real aircraft engines to clean fan blades (if it is the same MethylEthylKetone we are speaking of). It is forbidden nowadays to use in the business because of high cancer risk, and we use isopropyl now. (which I also use in modelling to clean my airbrush)

MEK is very "fast" or "hot" as some people put it. It dissolves styrene very quickly, and evaporates rapidly. If you don't want to go with a commercial solvent cement, consider methylene chloride (dichloro methane) which is what Tenax was. You can slow it down by mixing it with a small amount of toluene (slow evaporation) or xylene (slower evaporation). I use a custom blend of 1 part toluene to 9 parts methylene chloride.

All these solvents are toxic to one degree or other. Don't get them on your skin and use only with adequate ventilation. Wear eye protection. Methylene chloride is particularly hazardous to the eye. Safety glasses or face shields are cheap. The human eye cannot be replaced, repair is chancy and expensive.

MEK is very "fast" or "hot" as some people put it. It dissolves styrene very quickly, and evaporates rapidly. If you don't want to go with a commercial solvent cement, consider methylene chloride (dichloro methane) which is what Tenax was. You can slow it down by mixing it with a small amount of toluene (slow evaporation) or xylene (slower evaporation). I use a custom blend of 1 part toluene to 9 parts methylene chloride.

All these solvents are toxic to one degree or other. Don't get them on your skin and use only with adequate ventilation. Wear eye protection. Methylene chloride is particularly hazardous to the eye. Safety glasses or face shields are cheap. The human eye cannot be replaced, repair is chancy and expensive.

Sounds like 1:9 Toluene/Methylene Choride is worth exploring.

Yeh, the eye is a precious thing. I am typically fairly religious about PPE. Eyes and ears - we only get one set.

Reminds me of a recent event that happened just last weekend. I was cleaning a carb I wanted to get cleaned in a mild rush, I neglected to put my eyes on. As I was applying pressure to the carb cleaner nozzle I remember distinctly thinking "you should really be wearing glasses" and it was too late.. I caught the full burst of cleaner right in my eye.

One of my kids was in the shop with me and I gathered her up and she kept asking what was wrong.. "I shot myself in the eye with carb cleaner.."

So, we go blasting into the kitchen and I'm pretty much stumbling about trying to get to the sink and my kid is yelling "DADDY SHOT HIMSELF IN THE FACE!!" and my wife almost loses her mind.. I'm holding my eye and try to say "I shot myself with carb cleaner" but before I could get the "carb cleaner" portion of the sentence out, my wife is near full panic.. All she heard from my kid and myself was I shot myself in the face..

Luckily, it was only temporary pain..

I use Tamiya Thin (green) unless I need to glue an interior bit, where I need the set-up time and use regular Tamiya (orange). Tamiya Thin will also glue ABS.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...