Yes, you can use the HB AH-1F kit, dont know if they make decals for turkish version. The scheme looks very simple, i would use Dark Green FS34079, Dark Tan FS30219, and Flat Black FS37038.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

Yes, you can use the HB AH-1F kit, dont know if they make decals for turkish version. The scheme looks very simple, i would use Dark Green FS34079, Dark Tan FS30219, and Flat Black FS37038.

Rod.

Actually, you want the Hobby Boss "AH-1S" kit to get a real F model. their "AH-1F" is actually an AH-1E or ECAS. It has the M197 20mm cannon but not the ALT blister, ADS boom and IR suppression exhaust of the AH-1F. Anyway, bottom line is the HB AH-1S kit is the one you want.

Ray

Im not sure if they did them in 1/72 but Two Bobs Aviation made a set of decals based on Foreign Users of AH-1 Cobras, including Turkey.48-005f.jpg

Sadly Turkey is not among the options on that sheet, just Jordan, Bahrain and Japan.

Werner's Wings does a nice AH-1F sheet, which contains a load of stencils. Are there any special markings on the turkish Cobras exept for the Turk Kara Kuvvetleri and the serial? This could be printed with a laser printer on clear decal sheet.

Maybe ask Spejic if he would do it? He did quite a few 1/144 scale models with self printed decals.

Edited by Lancer512

Werner's Wings does a nice AH-1F sheet, which contains a load of stencils. Are there any special markings on the turkish Cobras exept for the Turk Kara Kuvvetleri and the serial? This could be printed with a laser printer on clear decal sheet.

Maybe ask Spejic if he would do it? He did quite a few 1/144 scale models with self printed decals.

Hi

I've made this cobra recently using the Hobby Boss "1S" as a base but you have to make some modification in order to build a Turkish cobra (there is a lot of photos on the web, especially for the modernized version). There is also a special chaff dispenser on each side, a modeller from this forum sent me some pictures (I con't find his post here but didn't made an extensive research). I've used decals from Armycast AH1W cobra but the Turk Kara Kuvvetleri marking is a little bit too wide (better use your own printed)

Hope this helps

Regards

Jean-Baptiste

DSCN2081.jpg

DSCN2080.jpg

DSCN2082.jpg

There is also a special chaff dispenser on each side, a modeller from this forum sent me some pictures (I con't find his post here but didn't made an extensive research).

Let me post the link to the thread for the Ozisik chaff/flare dispensers in case anyone wants to scratchbuild them for his Turkish AH-1 build.

Turkish AH-1 chaff/flare dispensers

I want to build one myself - many Turkish AH-1s will be out of service in the next few years as the T-129 ATAK fleet is built up. In a few years, the only Cobras in Turkey will be the few AH-1W Super Cobras from the initial purchase.

Edited by KursadA

It looks great. I have this kit. First time I've seen it built up. Interestingly the K747 blades have trim tabs. The real ones don't

Floyd

Hi Floyd

THanks for your comments, next time I'll care about it. The HB has many flaws , like most HB kit from far it looks like a cobra (I'm even not talking about the version) but it really has a lot of problems, additions and ommissions. A common feature for all late AH-1 version models (HB and Hasegawa) , the faired landing skid!!! why as most cobra seemed to be fited with the round version?

Perhaps Special hobby will make these late versions (and a decent AH-1W??)

Best regards

Jean-Baptiste

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, they did not. I have this sheet and it is excellent.

Ray

Sorry, I have to disagree about these Two Bobs decals. Considering Fujimi/Testors did 3 separate Japanese 1/48 AH1S kits, which are readily available on Ebay even if you just buy them for the decals, I don't understand why Two Bob's didn't include Turkey or Pakistan instead of Japan and call it a Middle East User set. The Japanese decals are so full of mistakes it's not actually possible to build a Japanese Cobra with these decals (even if you do have the correction sheet that only addresses one of the mistakes). I also hear that there are mistakes on the Jordanian decals, but seeing as I have models of both these variants already, I only bought this set for the Bahrain decals, which I hope are mistake free, but at least do look complete. Fair enough, the decals are nicely printed, but considering Two Bob's reputation for excellence and accuracy, I would have expected no mistakes whatsoever.

Sorry, I have to disagree about these Two Bobs decals. Considering Fujimi/Testors did 3 separate Japanese 1/48 AH1S kits, which are readily available on Ebay even if you just buy them for the decals, I don't understand why Two Bob's didn't include Turkey or Pakistan instead of Japan and call it a Middle East User set. The Japanese decals are so full of mistakes it's not actually possible to build a Japanese Cobra with these decals (even if you do have the correction sheet that only addresses one of the mistakes). I also hear that there are mistakes on the Jordanian decals, but seeing as I have models of both these variants already, I only bought this set for the Bahrain decals, which I hope are mistake free, but at least do look complete. Fair enough, the decals are nicely printed, but considering Two Bob's reputation for excellence and accuracy, I would have expected no mistakes whatsoever.

Any chance you could enlighten us on the particular mistakes on the sheet? I readily admit to not being a foreign cobra expert so I am in need of a lesson I think.

Thanks,

Ray

Any chance you could enlighten us on the particular mistakes on the sheet? I readily admit to not being a foreign cobra expert so I am in need of a lesson I think.

Thanks,

Ray

Yeah sure, the mistakes on the Japanese decals are as follows:

1. the roundels are the wrong size, closer to 1/72 scale than 1/48;

2. There is only one serial number supplied for the front of the fuselage when there should be two, one for each side;

3. The serial number is for a different squadron, which is IIIATH not IATH;

4. One of the Kanji on the tail boom is incorrect, however Two Bob's did make a correction sheet if you were able to get a sheet with them included;

5. The two numbers that appear on the front of the nose are missing.

I'm not sure what exactly the mistakes are for the Jordanian decals, but as far I can see they are missing the rectangular flags on the tail and there is only one set of Arabic symbols for the front of the fuselage when there should be another one for the other side.

Oh, as a bit of extra advice, both the Japanese and Bahrain Cobras should be fitted with the engine intake debris deflectors and air filters, which Werner Wings can supply in resin kit form and are superb! Also, neither of the Japanese or Bahrain Cobras have the I/R warning sensor fitted on the top of the main fuselage.

Hope that is helpful.

Edited by Tsubame

Yeah sure, the mistakes on the Japanese decals are as follows:

1. the roundels are the wrong size, closer to 1/72 scale than 1/48;

2. There is only one serial number supplied for the front of the fuselage when there should be two, one for each side;

3. The serial number is for a different squadron, which is IIIATH not IATH;

4. One of the Kanji on the tail boom is incorrect, however Two Bob's did make a correction sheet if you were able to get a sheet with them included;

5. The two numbers that appear on the front of the nose are missing.

I'm not sure what exactly the mistakes are for the Jordanian decals, but as far I can see they are missing the rectangular flags on the tail and there is only one set of Arabic symbols for the front of the fuselage when there should be another one for the other side.

Oh, as a bit of extra advice, both the Japanese and Bahrain Cobras should be fitted with the engine intake debris deflectors and air filters, which Werner Wings can supply in resin kit form and are superb! Also, neither of the Japanese or Bahrain Cobras have the I/R warning sensor fitted on the top of the main fuselage.

Hope that is helpful.

Thanks. I already have all the Werner Wings goodies. I may not know diddly about foreign snakes, but I pretty up on my US ones! Thanks for the info.

Ray

Thanks. I already have all the Werner Wings goodies. I may not know diddly about foreign snakes, but I pretty up on my US ones! Thanks for the info.

Ray

Where would we be without Floyd S Werner, eh? I bought his debris deflector set last year, but because I'd never worked with resin kits before I got him to send them ready prepared and what a fantastic job he did on them!

To get back on topic I would be interested in any Turkish 1/48 AH-1G, AH-1S or AH-1W decals if anyone can find a source or is capable of making some. I want the AH-1W decals more than anything but the G and S would make a nice addition too.

Oh, and does anyone know if there are any Iranian 1/48 AH-1J or South Korean 1/48 AH-1J International decals anywhere?

Also, any news on a TAI129 ATAK in the pipeline, any scale?

Edited by Tsubame
  • 4 years later...