I find that's par for the course with the majority of decals I use.

You're using the wrong decals then. High quality decals printed by reputable decal printers lay down beautifully.

You're using the wrong decals then. High quality decals printed by reputable decal printers lay down beautifully.

Even with high quality decals printed by reputable decal printers, I often have to use a knife along panel lines. Just as a point of interest, what would be your choices of reputable decal printers who produce high quality decals?

From the ones I've used so far, they're tricky to work with. They're really fragile and easy to tear if you're not careful. They also need a perfect gloss surface, anything less than this and you WILL get silvering. Lastly, I find the lighter colors to be rather translucent, you can easily see the paint underneath it especially if it's on the border between two different camo colors. But when they do go on successfully, they look beautiful after the final clear coat.

Even with high quality decals printed by reputable decal printers, I often have to use a knife along panel lines. Just as a point of interest, what would be your choices of reputable decal printers who produce high quality decals?

I absolutely love cartograf. they may be on the thick side but they conform so good around detail. superscale and microscale get my vote as well.

I often use the Techmod decals and I like them. You may click my banner below and enter "techmod" in the search field in my site to see my results. The Techmod decals are thin and their colors are accurate (the same in different sets) and the markings are sharp with correct shapes. I often replace RAF roundels of USAF insignia with Techmod if original decals have some issues. Most of swastikas on my models are also Techmods. Unfortunately some older sets were not soft enough but even they can set in panel lines if treated with patience (I use mostly Gunze decal liquids). I never have problems with silvering - the transparent foil is usually perfectly invisible.

2631.jpg

What sheet were You thinking of flybywire?

Recently I've used Techmod F-16 data sheet for my Polish F-16C. Decals were very thin, settled nicely in the panel lines - I'll definitely buy some more. Same thing goes for the MiG-23 decals I've used some two years ago. Defininitely worth buying.

Quite some time ago - 10 years maybe - I've used F/A-18 sheet. It wasn't bad. HTH

I often use the Techmod decals and I like them. You may click my banner below and enter "techmod" in the search field in my site to see my results. The Techmod decals are thin and their colors are accurate (the same in different sets) and the markings are sharp with correct shapes. I often replace RAF roundels of USAF insignia with Techmod if original decals have some issues. Most of swastikas on my models are also Techmods. Unfortunately some older sets were not soft enough but even they can set in panel lines if treated with patience (I use mostly Gunze decal liquids). I never have problems with silvering - the transparent foil is usually perfectly invisible.

2631.jpg

Hi rav_pl! At least there is a positive input out there. B) Many thanks! :)

What sheet were You thinking of flybywire?

Recently I've used Techmod F-16 data sheet for my Polish F-16C. Decals were very thin, settled nicely in the panel lines - I'll definitely buy some more. Same thing goes for the MiG-23 decals I've used some two years ago. Defininitely worth buying.

Quite some time ago - 10 years maybe - I've used F/A-18 sheet. It wasn't bad. HTH

Hi Thadeus! I'm thinking about the TM48117. http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TM48117