Pricing models on the Buy/Sell area

As a community of modeler-consumers we talk a lot about prices at the LHS and from online vendors, but what about the prices we ask of each other? How do you price the models you offer for sale here on ARC and other forums? Better yet, as a buyer what do you look for in terms of price?

Read my thoughts.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

When I post on any of the forums or sell stuff at a model show, I look at what the going price is on eBay, Sprue Bros, etc...then drop it $10.00 (respectively, I'm not giving a $10.00 kit away...).

Bottom line, I'm looking to get rid of the kit and move on. I see vendors at the usual model contests I attend dragging around some of the same kits for the last 10 years because they set up at the show and want to charge retail price for them. People go hit the vendor area for deals.

What really bugs me is a kit being sold for let's say 40 shipping included in the conus. ....but if I buy it to Canada they want the 40 bucks plus shipping....don't get me wrong I don't mind paying shipping but my offer of 35 plus the shipping is just as good. Now I have had quite a few folks actually refund money to me.....those I always buy from repeatedly.

So really bottom line is you rip me once....your name goes into my black book and I don't deal again.

When I sell I try to cost stuff 25% to 50% off depending on how much extras are included.

Cheers

Emil

I don't get the guys at shows not willing to deal and you see them at other shows time and time again with the same junk they think is 100% solid gold. I also don't get certain members on here that sell it for a buck or two less than Spruebrothers or Amazon and treat it like its some great deal.

So true Emil

I see alot of includes shipping to conus to canada at cost..humm so is shipping to conus free for the sellers.. I mean i know shipping to canada is more and im willing to pay the difference in all fairness.

All in all 80% of my kits cone form arc traders board and most of the guys when asked will work out an arrangement. Worst that can happen when you ask is a no. We have a great community!

I try to get a sense of the price based off eBay and what other similar items are here on the boards. I also include shipping in my prices. As for selling/shipping to Canada, I haven't really given much thought to it, but am not opposed to it. If I do ever ship anything to Canada, I'll probably do as Emil suggested, and drop the price by $5 or so, and ask for shipping to be paid, since I've been hearing some horror stories on the price of shipping to Canada.

I have a little bit different perspective. Many of you may know that I am VP of IPMS First Coast here in Jacksonville, FL. Most of the vendors at shows are mom and pop, small scale operations of marginal profitability. Some are retired folks trying to make a few extra bucks in a niche business. Most are not getting rich. They have to compete with each other, AND the typical event raffle, which diverts significant purchasing money away from them. In order to vend, they have to carry a bunch of stuff in the back of a van or trailer and drive hundreds of mile, burning gas and time.

I am a working professional with more discretionary income than I have ever had in my life. So, although I do not expect to pay full retail to a vendor for a commonly available kit, I don't try to aggressively low ball them and make it an uncomfortable experience either. I will usually look up what a used kit is going for on ebay, and use that is my rough guide. Many of these vendors are builders themselves, or used to be. Yes, they are making some money, but they are also attending shows for the love of the hobby and the opportunity to talk with other modelers and old friends/acquaintances. As a modeling community, we want them to feel welcome and appreciated as participants in the show experience. Let's face it, we are coming to shows as much to shop as to see each other's models, compete, and socialize. We want vendors to look at a show as a positive experience and keep coming back. Every year at JAXCON, I go around and personally thank every single vendor for attending. Last year we had commemorative pins for the show, and we tried to give one to every vendor.

I am not saying throw your money away, but I am saying that I personally try to be considerate of the effort and expense a vendor is enduring to be a part of the show when I start "negotiating."

Edited by DutyCat

I don't get the guys at shows not willing to deal and you see them at other shows time and time again with the same junk they think is 100% solid gold. I also don't get certain members on here that sell it for a buck or two less than Spruebrothers or Amazon and treat it like its some great deal.

I've seen a few of these. I love the prices that are at or above retail and the look of disgusted indignation when a deal price is offered. Its hilarious to see the same vendor at the same show a year or two later with the same models on the table.

I came up with a few explanations:

1) the wife told him to "get rid" of the models and he comes home with a full trunk explaining to the wife that no one was willing to buy them

2) the guy just gets a vendor table to get in on the early action in the vendor room before the rest of us can get in. He's just there to get more models. If he sells anything (especially at MSRP) then its gravy.

I have noticed a general price increase in the last few years. When I got back into the hobby a hasegawa 1/48 warbird could be had for $15 if you asked. Now I see guys sicker these things at $30.

I used to buy a ton at shows then my stash got built up. Now I am much more picky and if I can't get it at the price I think I should pay, I just walk. I really don't "need" anything.

Whenever I sell a kit, its usually because It was one bought as part of a package deal so its cost recovery or its a free kit I got at a show that I just won't build.

Bottom line is, if I'm selling it , I want to move it so I ususally price it low in the context of the type of kit.

For show kits, If I don't open it, I check the price at my local HS and I price it at 50% of retail.

For the others, I compare ebay with HS prices and usually price it at 2/3 of the lower of the 2 prices.

I also like to bargain when buying, but not at low balling. I usually try to get 5.00 off a kit over 10.00 if they're asling 23, 35, etc or a deal on multiples.

The only kits I don't dicker on are kits being sold by the family of a deceased modeller. I try to buy at least one kit from them even if I sell it later at a loss.

Edited by MaxHeadroom

Lots of interesting comments here. I have no experience on this forum by listing in the Buy and Sell thread but I have made a few purchases. Although I have never listed anything for sale, if I see that I have something that someone is looking for, and I don't mind parting with it, I have no objections to making a reasonable offer to them on what I believe is a fair purchase price (or simply giving a small item or part or extra decals, etc to them for free and asking them to pay it forward) and I always include shipping, be it to Canada or the U.S.

When I purchase things here, more often than not I have found that the vendor has posted a fair asking price for their wares. If not, there is no harm in haggling but I will be reasonable in my approach. Treat people fairly and it will very often be returned in kind. Like everyone else, I like to keep a few extra shekels in my jodhpurs but I have no problem paying someone what I consider fair market value for something I want or need. I also don't mind paying a premium for a difficult to find kit that I want (a 48th scale CF-100 come to mind) but I'm not going to mortgage the shack to pay someone a ridiculous price for a hard to find kit because of greed.

And it's a bit more complicated when you have to factor in the exchange rate on the Canadian dollar (or your country's currency) to the U. S dollar. Today's Canada / U.S. exchange rate is roughly 20%. As an example, a kit listed at $50 U.S. will actually cost me $62 Cdn and then there's shipping costs on top of it. So while $50 U.S. (shipped to ConUS) for a kit may seem like a great deal, by the time I factor in the shipping to Canada (assuming the vendor is willing to do so) and the exchange rate, I could be up to $80, $90 or $100 Cdn for a $50 U.S. kit. This is where there should be a bit of flexibility on the part of both parties.

As an example, I once saw a kit listed here for $160 U.S. + shipping. I went to my LHS and picked up the same kit for $170 Cdn, taxes included. And I got it two days later as the owner had to order it from the distributor. This in no way, shape or form an attempt to beat up on the seller but sometimes you can find a better deal in your own backyard.

All this to say it's a tricky process but if, as a seller, you are fair in your asking price and are willing to bend a bit and, as a buyer, if you are reasonable in your proposals and counteroffers, both parties can come out feeling like a winner after a transaction.

Mike

Mike,

I am the same way if I see something I know is a good deal I won't hesitate to throw in a few extra dollars knowing full well that it is an all round good deal. Recently did a purchase that a fellow Canadian had to turn down but I found it reasonable so I bought it......and the seller (first time shipping to Canada) ended up being generous enough to refund me the extra shipping cost from an over quote. Quite Frankly I will say that Sprue Bros. does the same which is why I keep going back. I have also been on the receiving end of some very generous ARCers Mike you do come to mind, 82Whitey51 and many others..... Phantom/Dong... ALF18.... Just the tip of the iceberg. Goes to show you how tight knit and trustworthy a community can get.

On the other hand I have been told straight out that shipping to Canada is a pain and expensive which is why I have to pay the extra $.... this person can keep their kits and I won't deal with them ever.

I ask only what I paid. You pay shipping. That's fair by me. As far as

helping someone out here with decals or a spare part I will gladly give it

to you and pay the shipping. I have had many people here and at other forums

help me, so I just give back for the help I have been given, I also appreciate

the advice I get, that's also worth a stamp here or there. Also a lot of what I

have will never get done, so why not help out those that helped me? I would NEVER

make a business man, don't want to be and I don't agree with most salespersons.

Sorry just the way I am. It's my hobby, not a business.---John

Edited by john53

I have a little bit different perspective. Many of you may know that I am VP of IPMS First Coast here in Jacksonville, FL. Most of the vendors at shows are mom and pop, small scale operations of marginal profitability. Some are retired folks trying to make a few extra bucks in a niche business. Most are not getting rich. They have to compete with each other, AND the typical event raffle, which diverts significant purchasing money away from them. In order to vend, they have to carry a bunch of stuff in the back of a van or trailer and drive hundreds of mile, burning gas and time.

I am a working professional with more discretionary income than I have ever had in my life. So, although I do not expect to pay full retail to a vendor for a commonly available kit, I don't try to aggressively low ball them and make it an uncomfortable experience either. I will usually look up what a used kit is going for on ebay, and use that is my rough guide. Many of these vendors are builders themselves, or used to be. Yes, they are making some money, but they are also attending shows for the love of the hobby and the opportunity to talk with other modelers and old friends/acquaintances. As a modeling community, we want them to feel welcome and appreciated as participants in the show experience. Let's face it, we are coming to shows as much to shop as to see each other's models, compete, and socialize. We want vendors to look at a show as a positive experience and keep coming back. Every year at JAXCON, I go around and personally thank every single vendor for attending. Last year we had commemorative pins for the show, and we tried to give one to every vendor.

I am not saying throw your money away, but I am saying that I personally try to be considerate of the effort and expense a vendor is enduring to be a part of the show when I start "negotiating."

That is a good way of looking at it. Vendors, in many respects make or break a model contest.

I recall several years back when the NMNA did not allow vendors in for the "Blue Angel Model Fest". Well, that ended that show.

Edited by 82Whitey51

I went to one of those in about 1998. The vending happened right there under the 4-ship formation of A-4s hanging from the ceiling. I wonder why they made the call to bad the vendors from that place.

By far the easiest way to determine what any given kit realistically sells for is to go to eBay and select "Sold Listings" after searching for that kit. This will bring up listings showing a range of what people are actually willing to pay for that kit.

THIS is an example of the results obtained that way.

All excellent points on your blog, too, Steven.

D

When I post on any of the forums or sell stuff at a model show, I look at what the going price is on eBay, Sprue Bros, etc...then drop it $10.00 (respectively, I'm not giving a $10.00 kit away...).

Bottom line, I'm looking to get rid of the kit and move on. I see vendors at the usual model contests I attend dragging around some of the same kits for the last 10 years because they set up at the show and want to charge retail price for them. People go hit the vendor area for deals.

This is pretty much what I do as well. I always, and I mean always, take a hit when I sell on the forums. I've been know for practically giving kits away at times.

I also almost always (depending on the kit) don't charge for shipping inside the U.S. I like to just get rid of the kit and move on.

Rob

If someone needs OOP decals I've always given them away if they were getting desperate with the only condition being to send me a picture of the built model.....I've done this for years and have not received a single picture!