This is going to look awesome. I have been thinking about an alternate scheme for mine as well. One note, the M134s are not authorized for used on the Navy MH-60S. The gunner's position has M240Hs. Also, the Cobra Company MH-60S set has the proper setup for the GAU21s in the rear cabin doors. The kit setup is totally wrong.

Hey-

Gino is right. No miniguns authorized on the MH-60S. I suspect they will at some point since the HH-60H will be gone by the end of this year. They are they only Navy H-60 authorized for miniguns. Miniguns in the Navy and Marines are known as GAU-17s.

Really looking forward to another Sierra build. Excellent!

Phil

resizeimage_manager.jpg

Academy kit, Eduard photo-etch, Live Resin M134 and M240 window mounts and some custom made details will round out the kit. Pics to follow.

Thats so cool. I love that. Looking forward to seeing your build unfold.

Oliver

Hey Erick:

Toss a GAU-8 on. That'll give the accuracy police something to talk about. Looking forward to seeing another Sierra come to life. I'll add my voice to those who have expressed misgivings over the lack of good AM decals for these birds. Hopefully as time passes this will be rectified. Best of luck and thank you for taking time to post!

Hey Erick:

Toss a GAU-8 on. That'll give the accuracy police something to talk about.

Really? Is this what this forum has become? I come to ARC precisely for these kinds of discussions. I honestly want to share what I know in an effort to help. If that is perceived as being the accuracy police, then it's time for me to find another forum to hang out in. If I am working on a project, I want to connect with the experts for a given platform to learn what is correct and what isn't. Then use that information to decide for myself what is worth my time and energy to correct on my project. I assumed many, if not most is us come here for the same reasons.

So to keep this thread from turning into the furball that is that other thread, I'll leave it the the thread owner to establish the ground rules:

Erick, are unsolicited accuracy comments welcome, or would you just prefer we answer specific questions if we can, or should we just watch?

Phil

Also, GMK, I didn't know about the Mk44 designation for the GAU-17. Thanks!

Pretty sweet looking digital camo.

Should be a nice build. Good luck Erick!

Here's a pic of the real bird. Don't know who the pic credit goes to. Hope I'm not violating anything.

82DCF5E0-5E6E-4B52-BD25-C703B4E42242-355-00000048569069CA_zps620b8bd8.jpg

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

Here is how I look at things, 1. I am a Blackhawk Instructor Pilot, I have flown them for over 20 years in all conditions and all missions,and still fly them so I am intimately familiar with this helicopter. Does that make me an expert,that's a mater of opinion. If you ask a question I will give you the honest answer. 2. Other services hawks like this one are open for discussion, and I value input. If what I am doing is wrong let me know, most times I try to build models that represent current operational ones. If it isn't then it is a what if or as I have seen in my 20+ years in the military never say never cause things change, equipment configurations change due to requirements by the Commander on the ground. 3. I build for me not anyone else, if you don't like it so be it, I and so have others here posted on others modelers their inaccuracies and try to do it in a positive way not to belittle but to inform. If that is taken wrong or that person gets an attitude well then its just a hobby. If you point out an error I will take that into consideration and if it something that can be fixed I will try to do it, if it is to late or I don't want to that is my prerogative. Gino said that the M134 isn't on the S right now. True statement, but however it can be and maybe in the future so I may choose to keep it or not, my choice but the point is that don't get butt hurt if someone points out an obvious error that was made as a informative comment. At the end of the day this is a hobby and some plastic that we put together and share with all of us. If you get your feelings hurt over comments about a piece of plastic, then you might need to grow some thicker skin cause there are alot more issues in this world than plastic models. Now off the box of soap and onto what I have been doing. Nothing to show as of yest cleaning up parts and researching alot of pics on the specific differences of the Navy Hawks from the Army ones. Probably will also make a list of them so anyone wanting to make a S will know what not to use and or use that is in the kit that is Army specific. I want this to be an informative build along with data that can be used for other modelers of the hawk that they can take to there builds.

Good reply to the accuracy police Erick. You have always helped me with my Blackhawk and you always give useful info without degrading my build and I do appreciate it. I took your info because I know that you are a blackhawk pilot and you are always helpful with the info that you gave me.

On the camo on the tail rotor section. I cannot wait to see how that turns out. Knowing you, it will be great. Looking out for your build.

Richard

Here is how I look at things, 1. I am a Blackhawk Instructor Pilot, I have flown them for over 20 years in all conditions and all missions,and still fly them so I am intimately familiar with this helicopter. Does that make me an expert,that's a mater of opinion. If you ask a question I will give you the honest answer. 2. Other services hawks like this one are open for discussion, and I value input. If what I am doing is wrong let me know, most times I try to build models that represent current operational ones. If it isn't then it is a what if or as I have seen in my 20+ years in the military never say never cause things change, equipment configurations change due to requirements by the Commander on the ground. 3. I build for me not anyone else, if you don't like it so be it, I and so have others here posted on others modelers their inaccuracies and try to do it in a positive way not to belittle but to inform. If that is taken wrong or that person gets an attitude well then its just a hobby. If you point out an error I will take that into consideration and if it something that can be fixed I will try to do it, if it is to late or I don't want to that is my prerogative. Gino said that the M134 isn't on the S right now. True statement, but however it can be and maybe in the future so I may choose to keep it or not, my choice but the point is that don't get butt hurt if someone points out an obvious error that was made as a informative comment. At the end of the day this is a hobby and some plastic that we put together and share with all of us. If you get your feelings hurt over comments about a piece of plastic, then you might need to grow some thicker skin cause there are alot more issues in this world than plastic models. Now off the box of soap and onto what I have been doing. Nothing to show as of yest cleaning up parts and researching alot of pics on the specific differences of the Navy Hawks from the Army ones. Probably will also make a list of them so anyone wanting to make a S will know what not to use and or use that is in the kit that is Army specific. I want this to be an informative build along with data that can be used for other modelers of the hawk that they can take to there builds.

Hey-

A fine answer, thanks.

I may be able to help with the differences between Navy and Army hawks, since my day job is to manage the content of all the flight manuals for Navy H-60s. Let me know is there is anything not clear in the pics you find.

Good luck.

Phil

Well:

Apparently it's a little too soon for jokes on the subject of artistic license versus accuracy. For the record: I personally attempt to create miniature versions of aircraft that have flown or are currently flying to the best of my ability. Based on what I have seen of Erick's work, and knowing he has a decades long working knowledge of these airframes, I figured he was a kindred spirit. To clarify: the GAU-8 cannon I requested for Erick's build is a 30mm 7 barreled Gatling gun the size of a Volkswagen bug: it weighs several thousand pounds fully loaded, and measures 13 feet long. My comment was meant as hyperbole, and in humor, not as a means to stir dissent, or rekindle a fire that has recently been extinguished. To anybody reading my comment and interpreting it as anything other than an attempt to conjur up an image of a 13 foot long cannon on a helicopter (feel free to laugh now, because it is funny) please accept my apologies and read a bit more carefully before you lash out.

Best regards

Marc

AKA Newf 36

Edited by Newf36

Look what came in the mail today from Sprue bros. Live resin 240's and Eduard photo etch. Have started small work on cockpit sanded doors clean made the cyclic out of strip and rod kit piece is anorexic. Made the MFD backs from strip laminated together and added small strip for the cooling vents on the sides. The collectives in the kit are wrong only the copilot is thicker. The pilots has a shaft from the grip back to the back so will make that with rod. Made the correct mod to the sides of the glare shield by cutting part of the side off. A thin piece of sheet will be put in place and the tail pedal adjustment handle will go there.

20150701_190033_resized_1.jpg

20150701_190332_resized_1.jpg

20150701_190050_resized_1.jpg

20150701_190115_resized_1.jpg

20150701_190128_resized_1.jpg

20150701_190332_resized_1.jpg

20150701_190156_resized_1.jpg

20150701_190147_resized_1.jpg

Edited by CW4 Erick Swanberg