Bought my first ride today....

So, after years of dreaming I finally bought my own car!! I've always liked the classics a lot more than most post-2000 vehicles on the roads today. They have more character to me and it's really fun driving.

I really don't know how I got into these types of cars, as I was born in 1990 (my parents had a red Peugeot 205 back then :))

So, here it is!

10409042_850178918398704_6168728888642701499_n_zpsfltbn5k4.jpg

This Renault 4 looked pretty OK on the chassis, a lot of these driving around in the more rainy parts of Europe have been affected by very nasty corrosion. This car doesn't look new either (a few rusty spots need to be taken care of), but it looked very acceptable.

So now the adventure begins!! :woot.gif:

greets Jelle

Cool! I always had a soft spot for the Renault 4. And I see you got the perfect roof for the upcoming weather. I just hope it will keep you dry when the rain comes again.

I would kill to drive that around. I'd put a bitchin' stereo system in it too. I would paint it dark green as well.

What's it have under the hood? I'm guessing 4 cylinders :D

What's the mileage like?

Cool! I always had a soft spot for the Renault 4. And I see you got the perfect roof for the upcoming weather. I just hope it will keep you dry when the rain comes again.

The previous owner (who was very honest about it, and didn't really want to sell it actually..) said that it was one of the few sunroofs on just about any car type that didn't leak. However, water will come through the windshield sealing and hot air blower when it's raining :P/>

I would kill to drive that around. I'd put a bitchin' stereo system in it too. I would paint it dark green as well.

What's it have under the hood? I'm guessing 4 cylinders :D/>/>

What's the mileage like?

It has an aftermarket radio, maybe I'll put a crate-like subwoofer in it later :rolleyes:/> But I want to keep it authentic as much as possible. It's not my favourite colour either, orange or green would be very cool! But a proper repaint will cost me too much for now.

It doesn't use much, its empty weight is 650 kilograms so on average it'll run 1 liter to 17 km. But I still have to test that on mine, the sunroof might induce quite some drag.

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman

Wow,

Great, I share that with tou.

A dark blue Renault 4 TL with a sunroof is the first car I bought with my own earned money back in 1987.

It was second hand, i was far for new back then, had already suffered from corrosion (it was a salty environment), and I bought it around what would be 1000 euros today I guess.

I bought it just for my 2 month summer holidays (I still was a student) and I remember my mates more or less kept laughing at me - they were still using their more elaborate daddy's cars.

I myself had a deep feeling of independance and freedom and later, sunroof, the cool attitude grew on my friends.

At the end of my holidays, when it was time to leave and resell my car I had several potential buyers and it went for more then 1500 euros. Pity I don't have any photo of that car.

From what I think I remeber sunroofs are not that common on Renault 4s.

They were on Citroen 2CVs, which by the way is the first car I made my hands on after I got my driving licence as my then girlfriend owned one : both basic cars, sunroof, low power low weigh, oddly placed gear lever and coooool little cars.

Congratulations - Enjoy

Eric B.

Man, that is a cool car. I remeber fondly the postoffice and local telecomcompany using this type of car. If been in the market for an oldtimer and i totaly forgot about this one. Might have to check these out.

Also, i had a similar sunroof on my vw polo 6n (my first car) and man, you are gonna love it. It is great when cruising in town. I really miss that on my current 'car'(and i use quotes because i drive an 2011 Opel Astra and i spend more time worrying about it, than driveing it).

Edited by streetstream