So in my circle of friends we like to hang items on our rearviewmirrors of our cars.

Some have small teddybears, some have keychains,....

At the moment i have a dogtag of the BAF F 16 demoteam hanging off my rearviewmirror.

One day i was watching it and it gave me an idea.

Can i build a small 1/144 modelkit and hang it off my rearviewmirror in such a way that the model would act like a real plane while cornering?

I chose a Revell 1/144 MiG 25 Foxbat and started buildibg yesterday.

But this morning, while readibg about a heatwave that will strike hear starting tommorow, i was wondering, can a model beat the heat?

Will the model survive, or will i end up with bend wings, or worse, a bunch of molten plastic on my dash.

Any ideas?

To give you an idea about the scale of the proplem, in summer, on hot days' it usually gets up to 35○C (95○F) over here.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

35C would be in the shade, with free airflow. In a closed car. in the sun, the temp will be much higher. Will that melt the model? Perhaps, but I doubt it would become a puddle of plastic, more likely just suffer plastic deformation. You could always view that particular model as expendable, needing replacement every so often.

Also consider whether that model hanging from the mirror would be judged by the police as an impediment to safe operation of the vehicle.

At 95d the inside temp will reach an estimated 140d in an hour. So a puddle of plastic, possible but not probably, bent and warped plastic you betcha. YMMV.

Your model is made from polystyrol. Glass transition temperature starts at 60°C.

In a car temp. can reach more than 60°C.

So, it's possible to have an Disney plane after few days.

Edited by MiG-Mech

I think the condition of the Belgian roads is a bigger concern for your mirror decoration :monkeydance:/> :P/>

+ all those "hollanders" that jam our roads with those horrid caravans..... :coolio::taunt:

So a first summary would be that it is unlikely that the model would survive for plenty of years. I was thinking about abandoning the idea all together, but now i'm thinking of making the model and only placing it in the car in winter. Maybe something to think about.

Also consider whether that model hanging from the mirror would be judged by the police as an impediment to safe operation of the vehicle.

I don't think it is an issue here. If you look at the law, it is forbidden, but i never had any comments made by cops so far. Also, if they would make a comment about it, nobody would be allowed to use a GPS-device. I think it's all a matter of common sense. If you go overboard, like hanging a 1/144 747 of the mirror, you would have to remove it.

Many years ago I had a 1/72 scale Fokker Dr.1 hanging from my car's rear view mirror, followed by a 1/72 scale P-6E Hawk. It gets very hot here in the summertime and they did fine. At least until I let my brother borrow my car and he took the Hawk down from the mirror and tossed it on the dashboard. Then it melted. Last time I let my brother borrow the car, by the way.

Exactly what does a guy from Holland consider as a heatwave, 26C?

We are not exactly having a heatwave here in Florida, but this past week its been in the upper 30's with a heat index of 41C! :wacko:/>

Robert

I'm not really sure i've you are adressing me (sorry), but i'll answer it anyway.

A heatwave over here is 5 days of more than 30C. Next week, they give temps up to 36C.

Also, and this is why i questioned if you were adressing me, i'm from Belgium. It's close to Holland, but still a different country.

Okay, so second summary:

- Some people have had luck with it, but don't mount it on the dash.

- Roads in Belgium are crappy (what else is new?) so again, don't mount it on the dash.

- Looking at the pictures of the last post, DON'T DO IT

Thanks again all you guys for the input, i think i will save the model for my display cabinet and maybe go with diecast.

I'm not really sure i've you are adressing me (sorry), but i'll answer it anyway.

A heatwave over here is 5 days of more than 30C. Next week, they give temps up to 36C.

Also, and this is why i questioned if you were adressing me, i'm from Belgium. It's close to Holland, but still a different country.

LOL, yeah, then you guys are having a heat wave. Sorry, I know you're from Belgium, The last post before mine said Hollander and without thinking I typed Holland. Well, I one of my co-workers will be happy about the heat wave, he's been complaining that the sun hasn't been out and he can't get his garden to grow.

Robert

Well, I one of my co-workers will be happy about the heat wave, he's been complaining that the sun hasn't been out and he can't get his garden to grow.

Robert

i'm no expert on the matter, but if you want your garden to grow, the last thing you need is a heatwave.

A model suspended from a string hanging from the mirror isn't going to "fly" the way a real airplane flies. It's dangling, not flying. Driving in 2 dimensions, you're always under 1g, but you get lateral accelerations (that's what makes it "swing"). In flying in 3 dimensions, the apparent force of gravity varies as you maneuver the airplane.

A model suspended from a string hanging from the mirror isn't going to "fly" the way a real airplane flies. It's dangling, not flying. Driving in 2 dimensions, you're always under 1g, but you get lateral accelerations (that's what makes it "swing"). In flying in 3 dimensions, the apparent force of gravity varies as you maneuver the airplane.

Actually, that is what i was going for. I would have suspended it from 2 points so it doesn't rotate, and than have it move from left to right while cornering creating a banking effect as if the plane was turning. I'm not looking for a full on simulation of flight, just the banking.

Also,i know that the rotationpoint is way to high, so it would look more like a dutchroll, but still...

Anyway, thanks for your input and for eveybodies for that matter.

Edited by streetstream

It's possible I missed this during my scan of the thread, but is it a problem to roll the windows down far enough to vent the heat, yet prevent passersby from reaching in to unlock the doors or cause other mischief?

(We're having a local heat wave of 115 F/46.1 C, today, and I've got the windows rolled down and the reflective windshield sun shade up.)

It's possible I missed this during my scan of the thread, but is it a problem to roll the windows down far enough to vent the heat, yet prevent passersby from reaching in to unlock the doors or cause other mischief?

(We're having a local heat wave of 115 F/46.1 C, today, and I've got the windows rolled down and the reflective windshield sun shade up.)

That is also a possibilitty that i can test. I'll try and find a trashed kit and use it for testing.