I've never participated in a ARC group build before. Since I'm planning to build the Eduard Limited edition 1/48 scale A4 Vietnam Scooter as my next build once I finish up my F2A-3 Buffalo (another week or so and it's finally done), I thought I'd join in the fun with this GB.

Joel

Actually found 5 kits in my stash.

Fujimi A-4E (but the sprue says Academy??) 1/48

AMT A-4E 1/48

Pair of Hasegawa A-4's. 1 E, 1 F

and a Monogram OA4M.

So... I think I'll start out with the Fujimi (or Academy as the sprues say) kit. Decals are for VF-12, just a smidgeon of work started (wing halves glued) I'll shoot pics and start a thread tomorrow. Basically will just be an out of box slammer.

then if things go well, might start down the list.

Also, looking for the following if anybody has extras that would fit my budget.

Fujimi TA-4J 1/50th scale

Pro Modeler Blue Angels Skyhawk.

TTFN

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been a while since I made a model to any kind of finished state. I took up aviation art in 2006 and while I've used models to help with my paintings none of the builds since that date have been complete.

However I've just started an A-4 which I decided I would finish (and by this I mean paint and add decals) as prep for my next painting.

The A-4 will be in flight and even if I can't find the necessary decals be from VA-163.

The painting will be the second in a series cover the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - the Skyraider was the first.

TGYC1a.jpg

These are small studies rather than gallery pieces. The Skyraider is 12" x 8" Oil on canvas.

I'll hopefully get some build photos up tomorrow

P

Edited by Pete Wenman

Pete,

I can't draw a straight line without the help of a ruler. Anyone who can paint like you do to create such a life like image, certainly has a special talent. One that I really enjoy to view, as well as appreciate. I'm looking forward to your additional paintings as you post them.

Joel

Not sure I can fully participate with these guys since while they still have a lot of work to be done they are slightly more than "10%" :). I'm doing these as part of another Skyhawk GB on another forum. The one on the left is the Hasegawa 48th K boxing, to be finished as an upgraded "Kahu" jet, the one on the right is the Fujimi E/F converted to represent the original K configuration. They have both had a bit of work done beyond box stock. Among K peculiar mods to both the Hasegawa has a new instrument panel and the leading edge slat recesses removed and replaced to get rid of the step, and the Fujimi has a reshaped tail to square it up.

IMG_0418_zpsvgrbupvt.jpg

If it behooves the mods/pleases the court I can post updates on these while disclaiming them from any voting or raffles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pardon the lateness of my post, but I'd like to join this Group Build, as the Skyhawk is such a lovely aircraft and a firm favourite of mine.

My plan is to hopefully complete two kits, utilising the newish Airfix A-4B and some Freightdog A-4C conversions to yield an A-4C and an A-4SU (the Singaporean A-4S in upgraded guise). I'm not sure yet what scheme I'll finish the A-4C in, but it will probably be in USN markings (as opposed to Argentine Air Force). The markings for the A-4SU will be supplied by Miliverse decals.

cheers,

Andrew.

Hasegawa 1/48 A-4E converted to early A-4K.

Aftermarket:

Master Models NATO refuelling probe

Quickboost A-4 guns

Eduard Brassin LAU-10 Zunis

Two Mikes 300 gallon drop tank

Gekko Graphics RNZAF Skyhawks decal sheet

Jet will depict the aircraft in flight, as it fired on the Korean fishing trawler Kin Nan - the only time an RNZAF Skyhawk fired its guns in "anger".

After seeing some inspirational builds here, I've got the bug to build one of the Skyhawks in my stash. I'm planning on building a Hasegawa 1/48 A-4F using the oldest A-4 kit in my stash.

Rodney

Rodney,

Looking forward to following your build. One can never see enough Scooters.

Joel

well...I may enter this one if time permits. I have a couple of kits I need to finish off but I have 4 A-4's in the stash that need building. My plan is to do Monogram's OA-4M in kit markings, Revell's A-4E in kit Blue Angles markings, another Revell A-4E in aftermarket decals(I have a few and haven't settled on a scheme yet) and finally Hasegawa's A-4C in Argentinian markings from the Falklands war for a co-worker.

I am really hoping everything lines up schedule wise and I can get this done in time.

Sean

well...I may enter this one if time permits. I have a couple of kits I need to finish off but I have 4 A-4's in the stash that need building. My plan is to do Monogram's OA-4M in kit markings, Revell's A-4E in kit Blue Angles markings, another Revell A-4E in aftermarket decals(I have a few and haven't settled on a scheme yet) and finally Hasegawa's A-4C in Argentinian markings from the Falklands war for a co-worker.

I am really hoping everything lines up schedule wise and I can get this done in time.

Sean

Sean,

That's quite a list for a GB. I'm more then looking forward to your builds.

Joel

Okay... it looks like I will have to jump into this Group Build as I have just started a commission job to build a 1/48 scale OA-4M for a friend. Our Executive Director at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, Col. Larry Wood (now retired), was the commanding officer of H&MS-12 at MCAS Iwakuni in the late 1980s, flying the OA-4M. While there, he had taken one of the squadron's OA-4Ms to an airshow in Japan, where it was heavily photographed by some photographers who were working for Hasegawa. As a result Larry's markings were on the kits that Hasegawa released in 1/72 and 1/32 scale. Much later, the same markings were issued in a Japanese-release of the 1/48 scale Revell Monogram kit.

So, in honor of our boss, Col. Larry "Nickel" Wood, I'm doing his airplane...

hm173bt.jpg

Now there's a really excellent reason for a build. I'll be following your build from start to finish. Would love to know the reaction of Col. Larry "Nickel" Wood when you present him with the model of his aircraft.

Joel

• 1 month later...

Wow, surprised this account still exists.

I guess I can dive in with the Pro-Modeller rebox of the Hasegawa A-4E. But build it as a pre-Kahu A-4K using kit spares and Microscale Decal 48-214. And raid the Hobbyboss AF-1/A-4N for the Zuni pods.

Once I finish the TA-4H that is in the masking and paint stage.

A few of the Skyhawks. The one way way in the back I built over 20 years ago. Yikes!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cKsF1JP8CmQ/Upy1APopxtI/AAAAAAAAARI/QemRr-7ZKJk/s1600/DSC02363.png

Scooter,

That's some collection you've amassed. 20 years and counting.

Joel

Thanks.

The square tail with the barrel started life as a Monogram OA-4M but is now an almost finished TA-4H. I call it my Frankenhawk. One behind it is a Hasegawa TA-4J. Not in the picture, because it was on display when photo was taken, is a Monogram A-4E in VA-127 markings and TPS scheme.

Everyone needs a few Scooters in their life.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this yesterday when I was on the ARC website-and timely because two Monogram OA-4M kits fell on me when I was in my shed a couple of weeks ago.

I'm jumping in with at least one of these kits-just started to take them off the sprues.

Max

Former Marine Skyhawker-VMAT-102, VMA-214, VMA-211, MAG-42 Det A (reserves)

Good evening to all,

My contribution to this group-build is the good-old ESCI 1/72 A-4E/F. Haven't figured out yet in what markings/squadron I'm going to finish it BUT, it's definitely going to be an ADVERSARY one!!!

Sernak,

I'm always looking forward to one of your builds.

Joel