There may be a lesson to learn in the "corrupt" copy---maybe a photo in a signature block does not copy but in the comment it would. I can keep working on any problem and see if we learn more about how to make a banner. I made it in PowerPoint, grouping then saving the photos and text as one jpg. Then to Photobucket according to instructions on some posts and bumbling (apparently there have been some changes in the path to the signature change).

• 3 weeks later...

Question: I use Tamiya acrylics and I was wondering if they made modern USN ship colors? If so a little assistance please.

I am doing the USS Ticonderoga CG-47 Guided Missile Cruiser for this GB and as I understand it she would have worn the following (please correct me if I am wrong):

Haze Gray---all vertical sides such as the super structure and hull sides down to the black boot.

Tamiya color match for Haze Gray...?

Deck Gray---fantail, forecastle, other main decks.

Tamiya color match for Deck Gray...?

Flight Deck Gray--- Helicopter landing pad/flight deck and hangar floor interior. (Some web info suggests ALL decks were painted this color, with the flight deck being a tad darker...?).

Tamiya color match for Flight Deck Gray...?

What about the lower hull red? Any Tamiya color matches for that?

Thanks all for any and all help! I am new to ship building and any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Don.

I cant say about the Tamiya colors, I'm a MM guy. But all deck surfaces are nonskid, it comes in one color, the only difference is newer non skid is darker than older, worn stuff. A good example would be to look at an aerial photo of a carrier dack

Edited by rightwinger26

Let's hear it, what is the best naval books you've read?

While not the best, "Halsey's Typhoon" by Bob Drury was a VERY interesting read. "Red Star Rogue: The Untold Story of a Soviet Submarines Nuclear Strike Attempt on the U.S." by Kenneth Sewell...interesting read, especially if you like Cold War era intrigue/conspiracy type books. Just started "Red November: Inside the Secret U.S.-Soviet Submarine War" by W. Craig Reed. So far so good.

What about fiction naval books? Has anyone ever come across a good fiction book in the class of "The Hunt for Red October" or "Red Storm Rising"?

Regards,

Don.

Don't have a favorite but "South to Java" is a good read.

Just finished Halsey's Typhoon---difficult 'cause authors obviously don't know naval terminology and seemed to throw a mix of naval on general nautical terms around like they were pulling them out of a hat. Reading the various "afterwords" helps show that the key to the story is the personal experiences. Didn't know about so many carriers having fires, if there research was thorough and writing accurate---too bad they went the no-footnotes root 'cause their terrible use of terminology calls into question the rest. One paragraph made absolutely no sense---couldn't figure it out at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope that this GB is breaking misconceptions about ship building, at least based on the number of new shipmates that have joined in, stating that this is their first ship build, at least in a very long time, and seeing how easy it really is to achieve a very detailed product. True, depending on scale, ship models can hold a very impressive amount of seat ail, and the is almost an overwhelming amount of AM out the, but truth be told, it's no harder than aircraft modeling, but in my opinion, much more rewarding. I know this will start fires, but if you've modeled 20 P-51's you've modeled one hundred. But you can model one ship, in 20 of its different mod's, and have a different model in most cases, everytime. Ship building isn't really hard, it just takes a little more planning, and a little more of using the instructions as guidelines instead of rules. I'm very happy so far with the results of this GB, I hope to see even more entries, and yet still even more ships sliding down The Ways!

Bill

I kept wondering where I'd put my 1/350 CVs.

Right now they're sitting, partially built, next to some of the planes that were on them, in 1/72 and 1/48.

Length is about the same on some and width is like 4-1 in favor of the ships.

I'll put them where the planes would go (not hanging from the ceiling---hmm, if I paint a room sea blue I can hang subs from the ceiling!).

• 2 weeks later...

I know I haven't posted in a bit, I've been in a slump, but I came out of it yesterday. All the railings are one the main deck of Warspite, and I've started the lower level of the main superstructure, I'll post some pre-painting pictures tonight when I get home. The display base is done too, I just need to go to the trophy store around the corner from my house an have a brass name plate made.

Bill