Ok, the etch deck is on!

8EB11127-0FB7-48FB-9D14-3A5E02EFE6D3.jpg

8D8F7138-C6F2-43F0-AF1D-98778B924B44.jpg

I had to do some minor trimming around A and Y turret, but other than that, the fit was great. I know there are a few spots where it is bubbled, that's ok, when working witht these wood decks, you have to mist water on the plastic to create a barrier to keep the deck from sticking right away, giving you time to move it around as you need to. The down side it the wood expands slightly, it's all good though, because you need to let it sit for a day or so to let the water underneath dry so the deck sticks, by then the wood has shrunk.

Other that that, she is for the most part weathered, just some slight rusting to do, and she is sealed with dull coat already. I also installed a few if the tiny etch ladders.

FC3C595D-3974-47D4-B9C0-BE069A3BAF4E.jpg

More to follow.......

Bill

Great job, I love the decking and that stern walkway is really cool. Curious - what was the purpose of that walkway, was there an Admiral's cabin at the stern or did it serve a more functional purpose?

Edited by 11bee

Thanks for the nice words guys.

I can't really find too much on the stern walk, the only book I have about the QE class doesn't even mention it, but from what I can tell, not all of them had one. From what I can find, you're right bee, that is officers country, which makes sense, right above that are on deck are four sets of skylights.

Started work on the catapult,

7 pieces of brass

BBF7C4A7-7AED-4CCB-A791-E41C539CB749.jpg

Cobbled together.

E42BF5A4-35FC-4800-AE67-16C54918E393.jpg

4 more pieces, two at each end.

5A4564A1-96AB-403A-8290-4E5633773788.jpg

E624AE07-C85E-4753-86E3-9E8214F9265D.jpg

Eight more pieces tomorrow, then it will be done. Five of those won't even be visible once the top it on, but I paid for them, so they are getting used. But, for now I'm going to do a little work on the Dark Shark.

More to follow.....

Bill

Catapult fin.

E2002312-4142-438A-B956-155AC62B03F4.jpg

Not the best picture, but there is still work to be done in that area. I was going to start working on the PE on the foc'sle, as I normally do one level at a time, but I think I might build the first levels of the aft and midship superstructure to start giving her more shape.

More to follow....

Bill

I can't really find too much on the stern walk, the only book I have about the QE class doesn't even mention it, but from what I can tell, not all of them had one. From what I can find, you're right bee, that is officers country, which makes sense, right above that are on deck are four sets of skylights.

Cool, nice place for the Capt to kick back and have a slug of rum after a hard days work.

Keep up the good job!

Except the stern isn't the most pleasant page for ship motions. Not to mention getting your commanding carriage on the bridge in a timely manner.

Modern ships put officers nearest the bridge. That may well be aft on a merchant ship, but not a Naval vessel.

Sailing vessels, including men-of-war, would place officers at the stern. The crew were in the fo'c'sle. This made sense as the helm was aft, and you wouldn't directly experience heavy seas. There also weren't any propeller vibrations or steering gear to deal with, nor were the ships anywhere near the size of a steel warship.

Modern ships put officers nearest the bridge. That may well be aft on a merchant ship, but not a Naval vessel.

Maybe on some ships, but on a Nimitz class for instance, a very large part of the staterooms are on the third deck, below the black shoe wardroom, and the XO's pway on the second deck has his stateroom, the cheng, and I believe the navigator. Obviously I understand the need for keeping command split up, which is easier to do with more tonnage.

Ok, I had modellers cramp, that's why I hadn't responded to anything. I had a bit of a PE fiasco, one tiny piece was claimed by the carpet monster, and another flipped from my tweezers, and landed square in the bottle cap of CA. In retrospect, I should have stopped as soon as I started that day, and had a 24 hour cool off, instead I proceeded and caused more work, oh well, I'm over it. I finished the first level of the aft super structure, I really just wanted to add some structure before carrying on with the main deck.

E6251EAF-BD22-4EB5-9F10-1B8BE1EF844F.jpg

6C7EDEFE-9BB6-44F1-B869-B7863D18F24C.jpg

19065951-8296-4CA5-9063-B622187DD382.jpg

28F3E7CD-E1F6-4EE0-AACF-8219BC1CF50F.jpg

I'm not going any higher for now since everything up there is PE antenna and brass masts, that's a set up for broken parts. Next I'm going to work on the first level of midship superstructure, then move to the bow. I MAY build one of the walrus float planes with the wings folded and place it in the hangar while it's open.

More to follow.....

Bill

She was a big boat! The picture in the bottom right of the banner is Warspite. I can't wait to be finished with the deck detail so I can really start building up. The wash is much more subtle than the pictures let on, those are really close up, I'm trying not to take anymore full hull pictures until she's complete, I'm keeping this a military secret.

Edited by rightwinger26

The midship superstructure/hangar is fitted together in three main pieces for now. I still need to do some clean up, and check all the PE before I can fit it all together and paint, that'll happen tomorrow.

D76AE3E3-31D3-48DE-8AAC-D2942DA7F093.jpg

I still think I am going to leave one hangar open and fold the wings on a Walrus.

More to follow....

Bill

Ok, I lied, I didn't get it painted today, there are quite a few more PE angle irons than I thought, so I'll be taking my time, but on the plus side...no masking required. I've actually been spending a little more time on a short run kit that I'm getting closer to being able to paint, so I'm putting a little more pride into that one, but work on Warspite still continues!

It's been a while since my last update, but going has been slow. The Secretary of War is out of town for a week, so I'm using his chance to replace all the doors and base board in our bedroom without have to hear about how bad the wood stain smells :thumbsup:/>

Anyways, I made some more progress on the midshipmen superstructure, I filled some injector marks, sanded a few seams, removed the molded on supports for the ships boats so they can be replace with PE later on. In a little bit, I'm going to paint behind the areas where the pictured parts of superstructure go, then install them. Why didn't I do that first you ask? Cause I'm a dumba@$ and forgot. Once that is done, I can install the etch angle irons and ladders, then paint the rest.

C45ED1F8-D271-4CC7-B025-87DAEE7DD962.jpg

1D1442CE-EF8B-4060-A559-F4B30F467C39.jpg

C8B8D52C-A9A6-4A37-B5A0-7D5F1F74C47F.jpg

More to follow!

Bill

Ps, everything in that top photo has been sanded smooth.

Edited by rightwinger26

I've been slacking, actually working on other kits, but whatever. :woot.gif: I've gotten about half of the PE installed on the bow and two of the anchor chains. I only worked with the PE that didn't need to be folded, because, quite frankly, I'm watching football and I'm very distracted.

3615FF27-C542-435A-8037-A9A53CD3F012.jpg

B96112A2-E86B-47AE-AA29-044F01F67ABB.jpg

Maybe tomorrow I'll get around to the rest, and I can finish all the main deck railings.

More to follow!

Bill