Beautiful prints!!! Did you notice they're getting better at printing small details? It seems like if you included more tiny details on your parts they would've turned out fine. In the LM parts I recently got even the tiny rivets on the tracking light are visible.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much progress as of late - I’m getting married soon and that has taken most all of my free time.

So, FED … frosted extreme detail. I’m happy to report that it’s pretty great with the smaller details. Looking at the surface, through a 10x loupe, there is a slight moire pattern, but it’s very slight. With that said the “frosting" effect is still there from the support wax … it’s just finer. Luckily, on the thrust structure, it’s all on the bottom, outa sight. On the other parts it will have to be dealt with, but it’s not near as bad as FUD frost.

I’m going to prime them next, hopefully they won’t show too many flaws

I did get a chance to cut a few styrene disks for the S-IVB and lay the thrust structure assembly in place. I think it looks pretty convincing.

IMG_5576.jpg

Edited by johnlove_mk_II

Very nice, John!!! I'm sure the print lines are not visible on normal viewing. They're just blown up disproportionately in macro shots and when the photos are viewed on big computer monitors. And unless you view your models with a magnifying glass, they aren't really visible when holding the model in front of you. Hey, congratulations on your wedding! :) I do hope she appreciates your hobby and that we won't be seeing less of your awesome updates!

Outstanding! Your 3D work is impressive and I love watching the models you create translate into the printed pieces, and fit so perfectly with the plastic kit parts.

I have used XTC-3D to smooth Shapeways WSF material with much success. I wonder if it will smooth the frosting on FUD and FED parts? Now that you're making all of these 3D models, it might be worth it to order a box and try it out.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

• 4 months later...