Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Scott VMFA (AW)242

Trumpeter 1/32nd A-4M

Recommended Posts

Started work on the cockpit. The parts have some heavy sprue attach points which will need a lot of clean up. And it looks like each part per step is scattered through out the parts trees.DSC_0926.jpg

DSC_0927_1.jpg

Just checking the cockpit/fuselage fit, no issues so far. Like the O2 and G-suit fittings on the L/H console. I drilled out holes in the seat and will add some tubing and scratch build the cartridge actuators for the left/right sides. Surprised that Trumpeter didn't add it to the seat since it is noticeable on the real thing. DSC_0930_1.jpg

Will do some filling and sanding on the seat bucket than hit it with some paint tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick update....The cockpit is a bit disappointing considering the kit cost. The instrument panel and side panels has barely any raised details and is geared towards using the kit decals so I'm busy trying to add knobs, switches, even a throttle etc, etc. just to give everything a slightly more realistic look to it. I would get a AM cockpit set but I'm planning on using a pilot figure which will help set things off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which squadron's markings do you plan to use? Are you going to build/display the engine also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which squadron's markings do you plan to use? Are you going to build/display the engine also?

I have the Zotz sheet for the VMA-331 'Last of the Red Hot Scooters" bird which includes excellent markings for one of the VMAT-102 Skyhawks too.

I'm going with the 331 scheme.

I will probably close up the engine and leave some of the access panels open. I have the A-4E in the stash and will likely display the engine with that one.

One After Market note...the Master Details Marine/Navy pilot figure does not fit the Trumpeter seat. Seat too narrow and the pilot would sit well above the headrest. It threw out one ideal of how I wanted to display the bird. The figure looks great and I will get another one to go into either the A-6 or the F-4.

Been working on the sub assemblies and it's slowly coming together. Will post a few update pics in a day or so.

Edited by Scott VMFA (AW)242

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm calling this one finish, it was a few days ago but I just now got around to taking some pics of her. I need to do a little clean up and a add a tweet here or there like opening the canopy since it doesn't want to close properly. Canopies seems to be an issue with the Trumpeter jet fighter kits.

DSC_0030.jpg

I used 4,000 grit sandpaper for the top of the bordering ladder and it's steps.

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

The resin, 400 Gal Centerline tank is from Fisher Model and is finely casted with the exception of a mold seam line running fore-aft on the bottom of the tank. But it is an improvement over the tanks in the kit with accurately modeled weld seals. It does have some weight to it.

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

The ZOLTS decals are great. Note I found that laying the diamond strip from the top down is the way to go.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on finishing. That looks fantastic. I like your work on the cockpit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...