Taiwan's Indigenous AT-3: Out of Box

I think one of the best things about modelling is trying to find kits of the oddball stuff. Sure, everyone makes Mustangs, Spits, Eagles and Flankers; finding them is easy. I much prefer the thrill of the hunt trying to find the weird, wonderful or sometimes best-left-forgotten subjects. I got quite a surprise in the basement of a Hobby Shop when I was faced with the LO Models AT-3 in 1/72. I love two-seaters, I love weirdos, and if a kit is small and simple, even better!

This little guy fits all the bills, so I was really glad to get one. It also gave me a chance to find out more about this plane, since I knew almost nothing. The best part: they also seem to come in cammo! Check out my out of box review to see what this guy’s all about:

at-3-oob-001.jpg?w=640

Absolutely!

I have the 1/72 K-8 for just such a display! I also have a T-4, T-1 and T-2 to cover the "Asian Training" gammut!

It's a shame there's no IDF Chung Ko (sp?) in 1/72. I have the two seater in 1/48, but it would make a neat counterpoint too!

So there is an IDF Chung-Kuo in 1/72nd. It's another one of those rare, oddball finds. I remember having one many years ago and regret getting rid of it. I think it was by a company called Kiddyland. I recall the quality being similar to the AT-3 that you have. Hope you can find one!

There was a very nice recent release of an 1/72 resin F-CK-1A (MLU) Ching Kuo in Taiwan two to three years ago.

About 2000 TWD over there IIRC, so it would have been overexpensive anywhere else.

ching-10.jpg

I'd seen stuff on the 1/48 AT-3, and that PMA one looks really cool.

As for the 1/72 Ching-Kuo, are any of them the two seaters? I didn't know it had been kitted so much even so. I do like that one.

Hi there

If I remember right oit was Kiddyland who made the Chiang Kuo in wonderfull 1/72 scale and it have both options single and twin seat kinda a franken F-5 mix with some F/A-18 features

169793-11185.jpg

best day

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER

Hi there

If I remember right oit was Kiddyland who made the Chiang Kuo in wonderfull 1/72 scale and it have both options single and twin seat kinda a franken F-5 mix with some F/A-18 features

169793-11185.jpg

best day

Armando

The Kiddyland kit is highly inaccurate. I had both the single seat & the 2-seat versions and sold them off. The wings are actually F-16 wings ( wrong as the Ching Kuo had similar but different wings--more angled at the trailing edge). Fuselage was shaped wrongly too ( esp around the engine area) as I recall. Much work needed to make it reasonable enough to resemble a Ching Kuo. IIRC, the resin kit posted by Antoine was based on the Kiddyland kit but was heavily modified by the master maker to make it a very accurate Ching Kuo. I recall seeing his in-progress build report on another website and he nicely detailed in-progress pictures of what was needed to modify the Kiddyland kit. Probably one of the most intense kit-bash/scratchbuild jobs I have ever seen. He then used the master mold to make resin copies of the kit that you see in Antoine's post.

I like the Taiwanese Ching Kuo so I was one of the first to get one :)

Expensive but Good kit. For a small 1/72 fighter ( about the size of an F-5E) it has MANY resin parts. But nice & detailed. Great decal sheet too.

Btw, there is/was another 1/72 resin kit of the Ching Kuo by a company called M-Box. I bought it off E-bay a few years ago.

Wow. They Egg-planed the Chung-Kuo before giving us a normal one?

That, my friends, is just odd.

It's like, for anime fans, how there's an SD Gunbuster, but no real-proportioned one. WTF?

The Kiddyland kit is highly inaccurate. I had both the single seat & the 2-seat versions and sold them off. The wings are actually F-16 wings ( wrong as the Ching Kuo had similar but different wings--more angled at the trailing edge). Fuselage was shaped wrongly too ( esp around the engine area) as I recall. Much work needed to make it reasonable enough to resemble a Ching Kuo. IIRC, the resin kit posted by Antoine was based on the Kiddyland kit but was heavily modified by the master maker to make it a very accurate Ching Kuo. I recall seeing his in-progress build report on another website and he nicely detailed in-progress pictures of what was needed to modify the Kiddyland kit. Probably one of the most intense kit-bash/scratchbuild jobs I have ever seen. He then used the master mold to make resin copies of the kit that you see in Antoine's post.

Here is a link to that in-progress report. He used the Kiddyland kit as a base for the master:

http://blog.roodo.com/gf13_001nhii/archives/8236125.html

My hat's off to him for such an extensive project.