Just a minor update

I finally remembered to use the wheel masks that come with Eduard EZ masks

IMGP7813-vi.jpg

and I painted the wheels last night

IMGP7815-vi.jpg

However i unmasked two and found the paint was still a bit soft, so I will wait another day or two before proceeding

I spent some time on the landing gear, and I was taking pictures as I went. However, I am a bit frustrated with my self right now. I put together 5 of the 6 landing gear legs, and as I went to get the two wheels for the last one, I found one unpainted wheel, and ....I could not find the last wheel.

The good thing abut documenting a build this way is that you have a record. Now if you look in the previous posts, 10 wheels got painted, and 11 wheels got masks. Where is the 12th wheel? I do not know. The work bench is a total mess as you can see in the pictures, and the rest of the room is not much better. I will conduct a more extensive search later but this is really a bummer.

Maybe someone makes resin wheels for this kit....

Too bad Kurt. Looks like it is time for a bench spring clean?

I am amazed what I find after cleaning the bench, I also feel more productive with only one model on it and no clutter :D Though I think mine needs a tidy again...

Clutter_zpssxpz3bam.jpg

Oh and as far as I know there is no aftermarket wheel sets available (yet). Only after market I have seen for this kit are the SAC undercarriage and the Eduard cockpit masks

Is that a wheel under the scribing guide, above the mask set in the second shot of post #52?

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Too bad Kurt. Looks like it is time for a bench spring clean?

Is that a wheel under the scribing guide, above the mask set in the second shot of post #52?

I started cleaning, no sign of the wheel. It must be with the instruction book from my F-4G ... totally vanished, fortuantlaty I bought a second kit so i did not have to own load and print the directions. But it just vanished.

I think what you are seeing in that picture is a folded up piece of sandpaper. any wya, I requested the parts from RoG. Hopefully they will take pity on me. I am just frustrated I brought this on my self.

*update*

After writing this I took one more look and found the wheel! pictures and more details to follow tomorrow

Edited by Kurt H.

So we pick up the story unmasking the wheels

IMGP7819-th.jpg

all the masks were not perfectly centered, but they look fine, and can not be seen any way with the gear doors installed

The legs are three parts, the assembled halves from many posts back, and then these brakes (I guess) with the stub axle.

IMGP7820-th.jpg

While great in scale fidelity, they are a bit fragile

IMGP7821-th.jpg

:angry:/>/>

any way, after only 2 disasters, I have 6 of these

IMGP7822-th.jpg

So, the mystery of the wheel.

I spent a lot of time looking. the 4th time i went through my tool box I found it

IMGP7824-th.jpg

How it got there, I will never know. (bonus fun game .. how many of these items pictured above do you have in your toolbox?)

continued in the next post ...

Edited by Kurt H.

So I epoxied the assemblies in place

IMGP7826-th.jpg

then on to the other side

IMGP7827-th.jpg

Dang it...

but another glob of glue, and it is set side to cure

IMGP7828-th.jpg

And after resting over night, it is on the wheels

IMGP7829-th.jpg

as you can see i also managed to break the refueling probe, but it is fixed now. I always seem to mess up these kinds of steps. Any way, tomorrow I will start with the little antennas, then ON TO PRIMER!!!!

The SAC landing gear might not help with the issue, the pins are so fine, and the fit so tight the sheer strength of the metal might not be too much better, but it will probably bend and not break so easy. If I were to build another one, I would go gear up, or use brass

anyone else having trouble with the last picture?

here it is again:

IMGP7829-th.jpg

What about something under the fuselage?

Won't be visible unless viewed from the side and you could make it look like a towbar or line of towbars.

Something else would be like ship models---pedestal(s) right between the middle of the MLG; just high enough to take the weight without allowing tilt.

The more I see what you have to do on this the more tempted I am to get mine out and start it.

Challenges are good for figuring things out, as you have shown.

You're doing a great job!

Looks Great, what kind of putty do you use?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

It is 3M acryl blue. It comes in a humongous tube which is more than enough for a lifetime of model building. Last time I checked, It was discontinued, but it is now called 3M acryl White, and supposed to be the same but white instead of blue.

It is an excellent all around putty for model building. Does not shrink, feathers really nicely. You can get it from auto body supply places. you can also find it on amazon.

And now it is in primer

IMGP7835-th.jpg

There were a few mishpas on the way, like forgetting to put the masks on the windos before starting, and one of the landing light lenses falling into a hard to retrieve spot.

Any way, I need to let the primer continue to dry and then check for anything which needs to be fixed. I am still pretty sure Iwant to paint it up as discussed earlier, but I did see a rendering of the A400M in the grey/green camo seen on C-160s depicted in the instructions, but I have been unable to determine the proper color for the green.

Kurt, you are not the only one to forget to mask stuff before painting. Done it a few time myself.

If the green/grey scheme is based on the C-160 Transall colours then the green is an Olive Drab. The official colour is RAL 6014 Gelboliv which equates to FS24064 or Humbrol 155 (Matt Olive Drab)

I got that info from here. I just googled 'German Transall colours' and it was the first hit.

Looking at the instructions I have you are lightening a deep green with yellow. Since the scheme is speculative and the first Luftwaffe A400Ms have entered service in an all over grey I think you can use whatever green you see fit.

Good luck with the colour your go with.

I found that same link Trojan, but I Was confused because it looks like it is calling out 4 colors.

I was at my LHS and saw one shade of Valejo Air color which looked just about right. I will go through my paint and figure it out.

Thanks

Edited by Kurt H.

This might be a deviation of the Norm 72 Transall scheme consisting of RAL 6014 Gelboliv and RAL 7012 Bassaltgrau (very close to FS 36118 or british Dark Sea Grey) and Weissaluminum (close to aluminum dope) on the bottom. RAL 2005 is dayglow orange, which is not carried on that picture:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Transall_LTG_62_1983.jpeg

I found this picture... I think my mind is made up, I will go with the original plan. This picture is small and not much to go on, but with enough pictures of C-160s out there to interpret the pattern from I think I can fudge it.

a400mcamo-vi.jpg