Stashmate in Wine - Attn Linux users

Greetings all. I am playing with a Linux distribution (Zorin 9.1 64bit) again. I'm just fed up with the high cost of keeping my Windows systems updated with the latest supported OS and applications (such as Office).

I've been running Stashmate (http://www.stashmate.co.uk/) on a Windows 7 system with no problems. I like the application and would like to keep using it, especially since I have a good deal of my stash already entered into this database. With a switch to Linux, I would like to run Stashmate in a Wine environment. I've installed the Stashmate software in Wine and I have a "clickable" icon for the executable. When I click the icon, the Stashmate software acts like it is loading and the "Splash" graphic appears, then hangs.

Does anyone else have any experience with the Wine environment and could possibly offer some guidance on why this might be happening? There were no errors with the installation script that I could see. I'd gotten errors in the past when I tried installing Stashmate in Wine running on a Linux Mint distribution.

Thanks in advance.

v/r

TX

Hi,

It's interesting to see a Linux question here at ARC ;-) I've been using Linux at home and at work continuously since 1994. The design and production environment of my business (Caracal Models) is also entirely based on a Linux platform; which is partly responsible for my productivity (through automation, scripting and overall flexibility of the platform).

Despite years of development, Wine is still not mature enough to run every Windows application you throw at it. If you are willing to dedicate the time and effort required, you can look into debugging the issues and making it work. Since you already mentioned you have a Windows 7 licence, may I recommend importing your Windows 7 system onto your Linux machine as a virtual machine image? There are a few Windows application that I have to rely on; and I run these on a rock-solid Windows VM that has proven to be far more stable and reliable than an actual, physical machine. Performance is very close to bare metal, backing up your entire system is as simple as backing up the image file. You can then run Stashmate (or any application you want to run on Windows) either through a VM session, or as a standalone application. I personally recommend VMware Workstation, although you could also use virt-manager or VirtualBox.