My oldest daughter and I are going to the UK for 10 days this summer and we're interested in visiting some very special pubs. I've heard the pub in the base of Nottingham castle is worth visiting due to it's location and it's really old and has low ceilings due to the age of the people long ago.

Can anyone suggest pubs in London.....we're planning to visit the globe theatre but we';ll have a tube pass for most of London and will stay in London for a few nights.

We'll also be in Norwich (Lotus Factory)

and Chester (Roman ruins)

and Warwick Aston Martin Factory)

Any special pubs in these towns?

My daughter has decided we'll be visiting quite a few pubs on this trip. Got to love the enthusiasm of a 19 year old. :woot.gif:

My oldest daughter and I are going to the UK for 10 days this summer and we're interested in visiting some very special pubs. I've heard the pub in the base of Nottingham castle is worth visiting due to it's location and it's really old and has low ceilings due to the age of the people long ago.

Can anyone suggest pubs in London.....we're planning to visit the globe theatre but we';ll have a tube pass for most of London and will stay in London for a few nights.

My daughter has decided we'll be visiting quite a few pubs on this trip. Got to love the enthusiasm of a 19 year old. :woot.gif:/>

I can't remember the name of it but I hit a pub in London that was pretty cool due to the fact that it used to be frequented by Shakespear. I'll try to dig up the specifics.

One thing I would recommend is to try to get out to the country. Pretty much every small village has it's own pub. Each one has it's own unique character and you'll meet some fantastic people.

Have a pint for me!

Time for my favourite English pub joke.

It's WWII and three old codgers are sat outside a pub in Suffolk when a USAAC jeep pulls up.

The officer and three men get out and the officer says to his men 'Watch this - see how thick the natives are around here' and approaches the oldest of the three old codgers.

"Say old timer - would you like this crumpled old 5 dollar bill - or this shiny new one dollar coin??"

"Why thankee sir - I'll take the shiny coin" - whereupon the four airmen go into the pub laughing at the thick natives.

"'ere Fred - why didn't you take the 5 dollar note instead of that coin" asks one of the old codgers.

"Because if I did" replies Fred "He would stop doing it every time he visits".

Ken

Have a great trip Steve - and a few pints of English ale. :thumbsup:/>

Steve,

I've been to "Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem", the pub built into the hill under Nottingham castle, and indeed it is well worth the visit if you are in town. So many little rooms, all unique. The locals and my UK co-workers had this American playing the Ringing the Bull game there, which was quite interestingly fun. It claims (as do several other pubs) to be the oldest in England. Worth the visit either way...

Enjoy the trip.

Ah, that will Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem (now the official name, I'm afraid). The ceilings aren't abnormally low for a British pub. What is odd is that upstairs has no ceiling at all - the room tapers up into a crack in the rock that could very well come out in the castle lawn up above.

Pubs that Shakespeare used to frequent will be rather like beds that Good Queen Bess slept in. Don't believe a word of it. The number of buildings in London that date back to the early 17th century could be counted on the fingers of one elbow, if you knock out the Tower of London and the churches. But worry not. There, and in any other town you're visiting, you'll find most of the pubs are pretty much OK. Just avoid the ones full of tourists (I'm aware of the irony) and the ones with huge banners outside advertising Sky Sports. And 11bee is right - the ones out in the weeds tend to be a lot nicer, and the beer will be kept better too.

Steve,

I was in London only a few weeks ago (for the first time). While I can't help with your upcoming pub crawl, you should visit the RAF Museum in North London near Hendon. It's just a 30 minute "Tube" ride and it's free. Many RAF and German aircraft from WW II housed there and the museum is very well maintained.

RAF Museum

Chuck

Steve,

I was in London only a few weeks ago (for the first time). While I can't help with your upcoming pub crawl, you should visit the RAF Museum in North London near Hendon. It's just a 30 minute "Tube" ride and it's free. Many RAF and German aircraft from WW II housed there and the museum is very well maintained.

RAF Museum

Chuck

Hendon is well worth the stop...I've been there a few times. I'm not sure if we'll do any aviation related stuff on this trip. We will be taking in a James Bond dispaly at a museum.....it contains almost every vehicle used by Bond of enemies in his movies...

http://londonfilmmuseum.com/home/

Here's a video.

https://video-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xft1/v/t43.1792-2/1902404_809180649096848_785127526_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjIyNzQsInJsYSI6MjczM30%3D&rl=2274&vabr=1516&oh=041dae30216da8b283c67c5bbe865591&oe=559C6869

Steve,

Have a read of this article about Shakespeare's haunts and things related to him including the pub THE GEORGE...FASCINATING ..

have a SUPER time and don't forget to visit YORK which has a NORVIK centre and a castle and quaint pubs and things to do and see. :thumbsup:/>

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0128/p18s02-trgn.html

Thanks Holmes...I'll pass this on to my daughter.

Ah, that will Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem (now the official name, I'm afraid). The ceilings aren't abnormally low for a British pub. What is odd is that upstairs has no ceiling at all - the room tapers up into a crack in the rock that could very well come out in the castle lawn up above.

Thanks Sean....I heard about this Pub long ago and it has intrigued me ever since. We plan to check it out on this trip. We have 10 days in the UK so we can do quite a bit.

On a side note....one of the 2 founders of Aston Martin was a fellow by the name of Robert Bamford...no known relation to me...but it is a rare family name and because of this I have a passion for Aston Martins...hence my interest in the factory Tour. My daughter has a passion for Lotus (as do I)...hence our interest in the Lotus Factory tour.

I'm taking notes. I'll be in ye olde London towne in October for the NFL game at Wembley Stadium, but staying for a week to see all that I can see. Been doing some prep work by watching all the episodes of Luther : )

Hi Steve,

I have visited quite a few of the pubs in London over the past 30 years :)/> but a few of my favorites are:-

The "Jack Horner" in Tottenham Court Road: Jack Horner Website - very good ale and pies!!!

The "Sherlock Holmes" in Northumberland Street (between Trafalgar Square and the river Thames): Sherlock Holmes pub website

The "Chandos" in St Martins Lane (just off Trafalgar Square) a "Sam Smiths" (not the singer) pub is also worth a visit: Chandos

If after all that you are feeling homesick there is the "Maple Leaf" in Maiden Lane (between Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden): Maple Leaf Pub. My freinds and I used to frequent this pub every Friday night in the late 1980s to sample the (at the time to us) exotic delights of Molson beer.

There is plenty to see around Trafalgar Square including the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery and St Martin in the Fields, Regent Street and Leicester Square are also very close.

Have a great time!!!

:cheers:/>

Darius

Man, I want your job. You can afford to travel a bit.

It's not the income that counts....it's what your priorities are.....for me traveling is my big priority. I'm just liberating some of the equity from our home to pay for things. :thumbsup: We're in the process of selling our home this summer and downsizing....so there will be cash available soon. I plan to get a bit of fun out of life before I die. :woot.gif:

I've got a trip to the Philippines planned for Aug or Sept. I'm building Angel's family a modest 2 room concrete block house to replace their rotting bamboo house......it's modest by our standards...but they are thrilled to have a house that won't rot and need serious repairs every 10 years. For me I prefer the bamboo houses...the wind goes right through them so they are cooler. But Angel's family wanted concrete blocks...so that is what they get.

Steve,

If you are in the area and are interested in cars/bike, take a trip to the Heritage Motor Centre in Warwickshire - loads of historic vehicles - including the new pink Ford of Lady Penelope from the Thunderbirds film.

Ken

Thanks Ken...the lotus factory tours are all booked solid.....so we might do this instead.....I have a passion for cars and bikes....as does my motorhead daughter.

Hi Steve,

I have visited quite a few of the pubs in London over the past 30 years :)/>/> but a few of my favorites are:-

The "Jack Horner" in Tottenham Court Road: Jack Horner Website - very good ale and pies!!!

The "Sherlock Holmes" in Northumberland Street (between Trafalgar Square and the river Thames): Sherlock Holmes pub website

The "Chandos" in St Martins Lane (just off Trafalgar Square) a "Sam Smiths" (not the singer) pub is also worth a visit: Chandos

If after all that you are feeling homesick there is the "Maple Leaf" in Maiden Lane (between Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden): Maple Leaf Pub. My freinds and I used to frequent this pub every Friday night in the late 1980s to sample the (at the time to us) exotic delights of Molson beer.

There is plenty to see around Trafalgar Square including the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery and St Martin in the Fields, Regent Street and Leicester Square are also very close.

Have a great time!!!

:cheers:/>/>

Darius

Fantastic Darius....these are excellent suggestions....I forgot about the Maple Leaf pub....that could be VERY amusing towards the end of our trip. Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbsup:

My daughter has decided we'll be visiting quite a few pubs on this trip. Got to love the enthusiasm of a 19 year old. :woot.gif:/>/>

Bon voyage Steve,

Have you given any thought to driving some Supercars while there? My bro and niece were thrilled to bits with their experiences at Loughborough. http://www.everymanracing.co.uk

G

Edited by Grant in West Oz

Steve,

I think you might like to have a look at this..

I have been to this Air show and to see JUST JANE LANCASTER last year and its impressive... :sunrevolves:

and of course its near to WADDINGTON RAF base etc...

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/store/event-tickets/air-shows-and-special-events/east-kirkby-air-show.htm?utm_source=Customers&utm_campaign=ad97821c7e-RAFBF_2012_Airshow&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_50f848a116-ad97821c7e-420382193

I've been to London in April and I really liked Craft Beer Company pub - while nothing special as a pub, it does have an enormous selection of ales and the waitresses are kind enough to give you samples of the beers you are interested in, before ordering your favorite.

https://thecraftbeerco.com/

Excellent thanks....my daughter just turned 19 and has quite the interest in English Pubs.

STEVE,

GOODWOOD has an upcoming event in August 2015 .

https://grrc.goodwood.com/breakfast-club/2015-calendar#51X3RgUsmKPuRLo3.97

they have had a few July events but have things coming up in October too..I think they also have SPITFIRE flights form them but you would have to check their web site and enquire.

I didn't realize Goodwood had smaller events.......we do car shows here regularly.....and this events looks very interesting indeed.

Steve,

I think you might like to have a look at this..

I have been to this Air show and to see JUST JANE LANCASTER last year and its impressive... :sunrevolves:/>

and of course its near to WADDINGTON RAF base etc...

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/store/event-tickets/air-shows-and-special-events/east-kirkby-air-show.htm?utm_source=Customers&utm_campaign=ad97821c7e-RAFBF_2012_Airshow&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_50f848a116-ad97821c7e-420382193

She's never been to an airshow (IIRC) so this could be an excellent event. We will be up in that area. Thanks for both of these suggestions Holmes.