• 1 month later...

Didn't notice this til today, 8/23.

Normal as you know is at sea going somewhere with occasional pierside or anchored setting.

A lot depends on how well you do water.

A racing DD with a bow wave that looks like a plow is digging it doesn't look good.

One technique rarely seen is a box showing underwater also---use clear color for sides of box with a surface made to look like --- wait for it --- surface.

Up to you but something different and well done would be great.

BTW: which Reuben James? there've been a few over a wide range of sizes which impacts the water-work: early DD needs more variation in water if you want waves and wakes because of scale.

• 1 month later...

It's the original 4 stack that was sunk 31 Oct 41. It comes in 1/700th resin with photo etch included.

Not being very experienced with water, in more ways than one, and running out of time, I went with the simplest way. I used the black base of a plastic display box.

I did an article many years ago in Fine Scale Modeler where I use "cracked ice" lighting fixture plastic to model water.

Paint the rough side dark blue and park your stationary ship on the smooth side. Or mask and paint a bow wave and wake on the rough side in white, then paint over that in blue and park your ship underway on the smooth side.

My link