The last ship I built was not a very good model but it was an aircraft carrier. I thought I'd give it another chance with this teeny build

IMG_20150708_224323_zpsgqdv2ii9.jpg

There is a PE sheet but most of it is for a hangar deck that will never be seen. I'll try my best to fold the super small stuff.

Here is my work on the ship. The build went pretty fast but I chose to do a full hull and I could not get a perfect join. So I puttied and sanded. You can see the brass PE inside

IMG_20150708_224628_zps8acwrqxh.jpg

Here is my attempt at the antenna array in PE. I know its not perfect but I kept with it

IMG_20150708_224436_zpsvk0aaymo.jpg

Edited by CorsairMan

I love how so many people open with "the last one wasn't good" :rolleyes: I just find that funny. It's nice to see a jeep carrier in the mix, this one is going to be good! I don't know how you can do 700th, that tiny PE would make me loose my mind, 350th is as small as I can go.

Thanks guys! I had to be creative in how I folded some of the components. I used two scalpel blades for the crane boom.

I think I'll paint the deck first then mask it.

Does anyone know what colour these decks were?

I got this text from another site, not sure of rules for linking to them though:

So attributed to information from a post by Tracy White on FSM:

"By 1941 the Navy was experimenting with blue deck stain for camouflage; by the time the US was attacked at Pearl *ALL* carriers had their decks in some shade of blue deck stain. While there was some variation due to experiments, the standard "Norfolk No. 250N Blue Flight Deck Stain" was rapidly adopted. This stain was very close to the 20-B "Deck Blue" *paint* used on metal decks and wood decks of other ships (battleships, cruisers, etc.)

However, in 1943 the colors were changed to #21 Flight Deck stain, which more closely matched the lighter 5-O Ocean Gray used on navy ships in some camouflage. It didn't last too long, around mid 1944 the Navy began issuing #21 Flight Deck stain (revised), which once again went back to the deck blue color and was a close match to Glossy Sea Blue when fresh (except without the gloss, of course). This lasted throughout the war and into Korean."

Hope this helps.

Edited by IrishGreek
  • 2 weeks later...

No picture but the deck does look the part - its subtle planking but its there.

I masked it and started to paint the sides - the Dragon colour callouts are for gunze and that will make things interesting. I think I will end up doing the Monterrey as the colours will go on a little easier. As with most things - its the masking that will take forever - there is not much to paint.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haha - its not done! But soon I think. All the planes have been painted and decaled (oh what joy that was) I just have to paint the canopies and put them together. Then I need to fix a couple of oopses, install all the guns and flat coat the ship.

I certainly am enjoying the build and I also have a shelf queen missouri I could finish for this GB - but only as a display piece as it was started a long time ago.

I changed the name of the ship based on the ease of masking the camo pattern. The Monterey was the easiest as far as I was concerned.

Thanks guys!

I am definitely glad I gave it a go and I am glad I started with a small model. It was a nice change of pace. I like these GBs on ARC as they get you to try new things. If I do another ship I think I'd like to try a waterline and try to make it in some water. I think that would be fun.