I just met a 68-year old man in Meadowview, Virginia who left Astoria, Oregon on June 6th, heading for Yorktown, Virginia. On a bicycle. He said he took up cycling several years ago when both knees gave out and prevented him from running marathons. Yeah, I feel like a total slug.

He is a good man, better shape than me. My older brother use to bicycle.

He did century and double century rides. In one day! I never could figure

out why he bicycled 200 miles in a day. But he was rather smart, taught

physics in high school, knew something about "momentum". Also helped that he

had a $3000 titanium framed bike. This guy definitely has one up on bro!---John

He serves as an inspiration.

Since leaving the Marines, I have had peaks and troughs of physical activity in an attempt to stay in shape.

I try to concentrate on running since I used to drink a metric f-load of beer, but I'm also taking advantage of the gym at my college. I'm having a very hard time getting back into the groove since having my appendix removed this May.

I recommend a fitness thread where we post how much activity we devote! We can even have a prize drawing at the end of the year, or this time next year, for those choosing the participate.

In fact, I have an Esci Tu-26 that's just taking up space ;)

Edited by Exhausted

Everyone starts somewhere.

Two years ago I rode with a charity group (Sea to Sea) and we rode from LA to NY - nearly 3,500 miles in nine weeks. It worked out to be about 70 miles per day, six days a week IIRC.

Some people out there were in incredible shape. Some not. No one got left behind.

Everyone started somewhere and built up fitness that spring.

It just has to become part of your routine.

You're not a slug. You just haven't started yet!

I'm in serious trouble if my knees ever give out so I can't run. I've tried bicycling, but I never could get comfortable on the seat. It's just too painful resting my entire body weight on the twins! :blink:

Ben

I just met a 68-year old man in Meadowview, Virginia who left Astoria, Oregon on June 6th, heading for Yorktown, Virginia. On a bicycle. He said he took up cycling several years ago when both knees gave out and prevented him from running marathons. Yeah, I feel like a total slug.

That's on my bucket list.

As a lifelong MTB'er turned roadie/MTB'er, I want to train for that some day.

A ton of logistics are involved if you do it without a guide company.

Before my second neck fusion surgery, my son and I were training to do a century. We were up to 70+ mile rides at one point.

The first 50 miles is a cakewalk. It's the last 50 miles that you train for.

At mile 50 It's like a switch that's instantly turned on, "Hello; My name is Pain and this is my brother Fatigue. We're going to be with you for the rest of the ride!"

After mile 70:

Mr Pain and Mr Fatigue: "You know; You don't have to continue. I think you should stop now and abandon the ride."

Me: F-off; I must keep going!!"

Repeat conversation every 5 minutes. As the miles progress so does the conversation BANGHEAD2.jpgrofl.gif !

after almost a lifetime of running (I once belonged to the same "running club" that Exhausted mentions) my doctor told me to give my knees a rest

so, I stopped and then I've gained about 30 pounds that I did not need for anything,,,,,except they match up with my white beard and bald head to make me look like I am 75 (I'm really 58)

Since I can't go far from the house (have to stay within shouting distance of Anne), we are getting an exercise bike

I don't plan on biking the equivalent the distance of that man that Jennings has met,,,,,,but, I do plan to read or listen to audio books as I bike along going nowhere

I can't resist,,,,,,,Exhausted, say this in your head to an old rhythm "Sit, sit, sit and sihhh-ittt" (it just popped into my head, and it won't leave,,,,,thought I'd share, lol)

Unfortunately an old neck injury prevents me from riding a traditional bike. To do it I'ld need a recumbent bike.

Wow; I'm the opposite.

I had a major MTB accident/injury back in '01 and had to have C5 and C6 fused.

Ten years later (Almost to the day) I had to have the whole neck fused; C3 to C7.

Now; I can't look down but I could look all the way up.

In order to check my beltline when I dress I have to use a wall mirror.

When I eat I put my plate about a foot in front of me on the table or I sit about a foot from the table and lean forward when I take a bite.

BTW; Recumbent bikes are waaaay more aerodynamic than a traditional bike.

Doing long hours spent on a bike; A recumbent is way more efficient in terms of conserving energy vs a traditional bike.

That was proved back in the 1930s. It's basically a brick wall vs a bullet in terms of aerodynamic shape differences.

They say today's runner is tomorrow's cyclist! I stopped running everyday awhile back and now try and get two other cardio sessions in per week via cycling. I lift pretty heavy so I try to keep the cardio under an hour.

I'm signing up for the ride across Iowa (ragbrai) next year. It'll be my first time ever doing anything like this but someday after the kids are gone I'd love to bike across the U.S.

Are you still overseas/deployed?

Have you ever done a ride longer than 6 hours?

Unless the ride is at a granny pace, you might want to do some endurance ride training beforehand.

Even a moderate 14MPH pace done over 5 hours can really beat you up.

PM me if you have any questions on endurance riding.

Swimming at the local High School easy on the joints & great for the heart!!

Only if you like being in the water (and being able to swim helps a lot too) :)

Unless the ride is at a granny pace, you might want to do some endurance ride training beforehand.

You are right. I stopped serious riding a few years back, my average speed was 14 mph on my

entry level Giant Kronos. I had a hell of a time keeping up with my older brother on his

Litespeed especially seeing as though his average speed was 20 mph. The longest ride I did with

him was about 70 miles around the Quabbin Reservoir in Ma. Dam near killed me!---John

I'm in the states. I've done endurance riding before in my 20's on both road and mountain. I'm going to follow the suggested training plan starting in April and I will be going at a slug's pace of 9-10mph.

yeah well I'm a slug too. after a 9 year hiatus I finally got off my keester and started riding again. I was feeling pretty good about myself for doing 45K a day last week. it seems I have a ways to go. the good news is that the lower mainland of B.C is made for cycling. there are bike paths everywhere and most of them are on the ocean.

I'm pretty sad too. Way back in my teens I used to ride 30 miles a day like it was nothing. After I got out of the Navy I couldn't do five miles. Then I went out and bought a nice twelve speed thinking I could get myself going again and it's been sitting in the basement for fifteen years collecting model paint dust. :bandhead2:/>

That's on my bucket list.

As a lifelong MTB'er turned roadie/MTB'er, I want to train for that some day.

A ton of logistics are involved if you do it without a guide company.

Before my second neck fusion surgery, my son and I were training to do a century. We were up to 70+ mile rides at one point.

The first 50 miles is a cakewalk. It's the last 50 miles that you train for.

At mile 50 It's like a switch that's instantly turned on, "Hello; My name is Pain and this is my brother Fatigue. We're going to be with you for the rest of the ride!"

After mile 70:

Mr Pain and Mr Fatigue: "You know; You don't have to continue. I think you should stop now and abandon the ride."

Me: F-off; I must keep going!!"

Repeat conversation every 5 minutes. As the miles progress so does the conversation BANGHEAD2.jpgrofl.gif !

For pain, you need to do a twin century. That's a full hundred miles on each of two consecutive days. I did that back in my young and dumb days once. The morning of day two butt says to brain, "you want me to do WHAT!?!" I also did a few double centuries, the Davis Double in California. My best time was about 16 hours. The tandems are the winners there, they do it in less than six hours. Recumbents didn't do as well as they are poor on uphill stretches because you can't use your weight on the pedals; Davis had over 10000 feet of climb and descent. Those tandems were tremendously fast on the steep downhills, they would hit 60, easy.

Then, after I got out of the Marines in '82, I did the trans-con. Started in Orange County CA where El Toro was located, rode up the coast to near Eugene OR and turned right. Hit the East Coast at Biddeford ME and then rode down the coast to Boston. I averaged about 70 miles a day for almost three months for a total of 5015 miles. It was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

Last week in my department's usual Tuesday meeting, my boss got his computer fired up to show us some new procedures. Up on the big monitor, we could all see his desktop background picture. It was one of him on his touring bike along with two of his friends also on their bikes. Someone asked about the picture and my boss said that the guy on the far right side of the picture was one of his best friends who got killed in an accident by a drunk driver a couple of weeks ago.

Every since I hurt my shoulder a couple of months ago, I've pretty much stopped exercising and I feel like an out-of-shape lump. I looked closely at the picture of the now deceased friend. Middle aged (like me). In excellent shape (unlike me). Powerful leg muscles (definitely unlike me). I couldn't help but find the sad irony in the fact that no matter how physically fit the guy was and no matter how well he took care of himself, he was dead and here I am alive. Was it worth it for him? It's an open-ended question on my part. I don't know if there's a right or wrong answer.

Eric