Hi,

I am currently building an A-6E Hobby Boss and I am wondering if some of the first upgraded A-6A-to-A-6E had the same cockpit panels than the A-6A.

If I use the one from the box I see the Flir screen but there was no Flir turret in 1976 on the version I have chosen. Is it possible that the first upgraded A-6E had the Flir screen without the ball turret ?

Even the little plate that was supposed to replace the ball turret under the nose till it is available, is not present in 1976 on my A-6.

Here is the one I am building :

http://www.millionmonkeytheater.com/a6pics/152908.jpg

could someone provide me with some pictures of the first A-6E cockpits (that could be similar to the 1976 version I have chosen) ?

Thanks for your support.

Best regards,

Manuel.

According to the Warbird Tech Grumman A-6 Intruder book by Dennis Jenkins the A-6Es had several minor differences between them, including instrument panel. The very first A-6A converted to E was 152907 and came off the mod line on April 16 1973. After the first Es the next was the A-6E CAINS - Carrier Airborne Inertial Navigation System that added a scoop on top of the fuselage near the tail. Now whether 152908 got the CAINs mod or not, is unknown.

Jari

Two other items, one is certain the other not as dependable.

A to E conversion added a ram air scoop on the left aft fuselage for avionics bay cooling.

The less dependable is the removal of the air brakes and covering with a solid panel (no holes)

Actually, not all E models had the solid panels. The A models that were converted into E's had the fuselage speed brakes bolted shut, and the holes either left alone, or plugged shut. :thumbsup:/>

Edited by VA-115EFR

Your bird is an A model. First fleet deliveries of TRAM Intruders were in 1978

Hi 1to1scaler,

no it is well an A-6E in 1976 (converted from an old A-6A) see what I found on this site:

http://www.millionmonkeytheater.com/A-6.html

A-6A Intruder 152908

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*1967: Delivered to the US Navy.

*1967-68: VA-115 as “NE-510”.

*Upgraded to A-6E.

*1972: VMA(AW)-224 as “WK-13”.

*1974: VMA(AW)-224 as “WK-00”.

*1978-79: VMA(AW)-224 as “WK-00” and “WK-350”.

*1982: VMAT(AW)-202 as “KC-xx”.

*2/12/1982: Crashed into the Okefenokee swamp, FL.

in the Hobby Boss box we have all the parts to build an A-6E or A-6E TRAM (with Flir turret and dedicated dashboard included).

of course I took the A-6E non-tram dashboard for my 1976 version.

I also removed the little plate under the nose which is supposed to replace the Flir turret when the A-6E is not yet a TRAM.

on the picture I got, the nose was like for the A-6A, without this plate.

thanks everybody for your feedbacks.

best regards,

Manu