FOUND AERO 1C 150 Gallon Drop Tanks 1/48 Scale

I'm looking beg, buy, steal, whatever to get several AERO 1C Drop Tanks in 1/48 scale. I need them to hang on the right wing of a A-1 Skyraider decked out for the Sandy mission. If you have any you'd be willing to sell or trade, please let me know. The tanks that come in the Tamiya kit are AERO 1E's and the tanks from the old ESCI Skyhawks are AERO 1D's. Monograms 1/48 tanks are napalm and too short to try and even make work.

Edited by Drifterdon

I have a pair of Hasegawa A-4 fuel tanks.

I'm pretty sure both the Skyraiders and Skyhawks share the same fuel tanks.

How many do you need?

Hey Six, those two did share the same tanks but the ones that come in the Hasegawa Skyhawk are the 300 gallon tanks. Still trying to find some 150's. Thanks though. Don

Hey Don,

If you have any of the Hobby Boss 1/48 scale A-7 Corsair kits there may be a solution. The tanks in those kits are horrible and don't look like right for anything but I discovered a use for them. I was looking for the same solution for a 1/32 scale Skyraider and discovered that the 1/32 scale Trumpeter A-7 tanks could be modified into the 150 gallon tanks. Remove the straight center sections from each tank and splice the tapered front and rear parts together. I matched these up to drawings in the Ginter Skynight book and it looks like it will work. The Ginter book on the Skynight has a whole section about the external tanks and the drawings for the 300 gallon tanks match up well with 1/32 scale Skyhawk tanks. That's where I got the idea to look at the goofy A-7 tanks for a solution. The front and rear halves matched the 150 gallon tank drawings perfectly. The 1/48 scale Hobby Boss A-7 tanks have the same weird profile as the 1/32 scale Trumpeter tanks so it should work. I have a couple of two-seat Hobby Boss Corsairs and could hook you up with a tank.

See ya,

Kirk

Apart from TwoMikes, Red Roo also did the 150 Gal tank in resin.

HTH

I'm not finding the Red Roo 150 gallon tank. I see their DB-30 buddy tank which I think is supposed to be a D-704 store. The D-704 was based on the 400 gallon tank. Still looking though....

Edited by Drifterdon

Here are two photos of the one I am doing. It is still in progress. I just got the tank in correct proportions. Now to finish the scribing and add the details.

I will do the tail cone and fins separately.

IMG_2050_zpseag5xe4n.jpg

IMG_2049_zpsdruut9gb.jpg

Edited by Harold

That is outstanding Harold. You'll now be the only guy making 150 gallon Aero tanks.

I have the first version in rubber. I will do another one with two fillers later (they were used by the USN after 1972 I think)

Then when I have time I will do the travel pods.