Starting my third MH-47 here. I did the kit when it was released some years ago (I think I did ok, but there´s always room for improvement) and also converted one into a HH-47 CSAR-X-contender: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=105799

This time I´m going to do a SOAR-bird again, adding crew and some photo-etched parts from Eduard.

Just a quick shot of the kit as it comes out of the box:

IMG_5546_zpslzzn3h04.jpg

And some first details: To simulate the wiring of the instrument panel, I simply used a needle and thin thread on a piece of paper with the shape of the panel. Just do some "runs" with the needle back and forth until you have a good representation of the wiring. Then glue the paper on the original panel-part.

IMG_5551_zpswfnvbbfl.jpg

IMG_5552_zps3ufangaq.jpg

HAJO

Thank you, guys! As it looks now I will have to use the kits decals. I already asked in the buy/sell/trade-section if someone would be willing to help me out with some decals from the excellent Werners Wing´s Nightstalker-set, but so far I got no response.

I didn´t wanted to buy the whole set since Í´m not planning to do a dozen Nightstalker-birds (although you could never have enough 160th helos... ;) )

HAJO

Anyone having an idea if MH-47s have 4 or 5 defensive gun stations? I stumbled across ime internet-sources that said that it´s usually the two miniguns in front and two M240s in th eback windows - but no gun on the ramp.

Any general wisdom?

HAJO

I seem to remember that during Afghanistan they had a pair of M60s in the ramp. But I'm not sure that applies to MH-47Gs.

Early in the war, MH-47Es had M60s in place of M240s. The MH-47G uses M134 miniguns in the front and M240Bs in the back. The miniguns will have an IZLID attached to the rail and the M240Bs will have an AN/PEQ-15 attached to one of the side rails.

Early in the war, MH-47Es had M60s in place of M240s. The MH-47G uses M134 miniguns in the front and M240Bs in the back. The miniguns will have an IZLID attached to the rail and the M240Bs will have an AN/PEQ-15 attached to one of the side rails.

Ah, that's what I thought.

Hajo,

The MH-47 has 4 gun stations. In theory, the 160th could mount a M240 on the ramp but in practice, the ramp gun gets in the way of passengers loading and unloading the helicopter.

Razor 1 ,MH-47E, from Operation Anaconda had M-60s in the back windows and a tail stinger M-60s as confirmed by a crew member.

Floyd

Floyd,

You are right. Early in the war, MH-47s had a tail stinger. Razor 03 also had one according to the book, "Roberts Ridge." I'm not sure when they switched to the current configuration.

Edited by adrake83

Floyd,

You are right. Early in the war, MH-47s had a tail stinger. Razor 03 also had one according to the book, "Roberts Ridge." I'm not sure when they switched to the current configuration.

This is the book I was referring to. I guess I got the number of tail M60s wrong.

Back on topic, it's looking good, Hajo!.

Edited by Sarathi S.

Thank you guys, love to read the details you are describing!

I placed some of the crew members and the guns on the left side.

IMG_5560_zpsmrwhf7vc.jpg

IMG_5561_zpstmgirbwd.jpg

I hope I will somehow be able to put the two halves together and have the right side minigun-ammo-chute right in place so that it will connect nicely to the gun... The gun has to be glued in place after the two halves are mounted together.

HAJO

Another sneek-peek into the helicopter before I close up the fuselage:

IMG_5562_zpshanm19eh.jpg

IMG_5565_zpsna3gahqf.jpg

Fuselage closed:

IMG_5566_zps3chuhf6w.jpg

Still things can be seen in the inside:

IMG_5568_zpsaogtfm4q.jpg

First PE-parts from Eduard glued on the engines:

IMG_5569_zpsfufbnhbz.jpg

This will be my main work during the upcoming days: Attaching the PE-parts to their exterior positions.

HAJO

A good part of adding the PE-parts has been done:

IMG_5571_zpsmhjytlfu.jpg

Shown is the back where many of the chaff/flare-launchers will be mounted:

IMG_5570_zpshbe0fqpu.jpg

Now it´s only a couple of antennaes, special stuff, equipment and so on to add...

HAJO

The two pilots haven taken their seats:

IMG_5572_zps1sktfk3u.jpg

IMG_5573_zps5tyfuwpu.jpg

Some details and close-ups before I´m starting the first layer of paint. I have also already corrected the position of that double chaff-/flare-launcher plate, it went a couple of milimeters to the front, into the center of the panel.

IMG_5575_zpsx5lfc4xc.jpg

IMG_5576_zps82x1j9uk.jpg

IMG_5577_zpsyeiktg8y.jpg

The winch got some nice and subtle little cables from Eduard. Hard to see, but they do exist!

IMG_5579_zps84ylpeyi.jpg

IMG_5580_zpsplbvbwwx.jpg

View into the back of the helo:

IMG_5581_zpsxghgysxf.jpg

IMG_5582_zps8snku2fj.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

On some pictures of the MH-47 I saw big, barrel-style IR-suppressors. I liked that and so I started looking for something that may help me scratching it.

I finally found the cap of a pencil, cut it into two small tubes and glued them on. Voila!

IMG_5584_zpsjmzeasah.jpg

IMG_5585_zpsocnt41x9.jpg

HAJO