Another derecho for the midwest and SE??

The 2012 derecho almost cost me my house, and ended up costing USAA $11,000 to clean up, plus 11 days without power or water (on a well with a pump). Today another one seems to be on the way.

I'm OVER this!

Pull up the hip waders, hold onto your hat and good luck brother. I hope it misses you altogether and failing that it's not as severe as the last pummeling.

Might want to move quickly and invest in a portable generator. I spent a similar time in the dark (on town water thank god) after a hurricane. It sucked.

Afterwards, went out and spent short money on a 5000W Honda generator. Best $ I ever spent. I've lost electricity from anywhere from a day to close to a week and have enough power to keep the lights, heat (or an A/C) and fridge running. I started with just running extension cords. It got the job done but was a bit of a PITA. This week, just had an electrician come out to start work on installing a transfer switch to my circuit breaker panel and running a dedicated line for the generator out to my garage. If it happens again, I just need to flip the switch and start the generator.

Good luck with the storm. BTW, never heard this term used before. Had to Google it.

I'm in a rented 1BR cottage. If the poo hits the fan (as it appears it's going to), I'm going to beat feet out of here. It looks nasty, and nastier by the minute on the radar. T-minus a couple of hours for us.

over the last two or three days we've had a couple really bad ones roll thru central Indiana, and yes they headed your way. Expect a lot of lightening. Winds were not all that bad with 35 mph gusts. The one to watch for is the second one! Produced tornados early yesterday morning. Over the weekend (Friday evening till this morning, we picked up at least four inches of rain fall. Some areas are over seven inches!

gary

I haven't heard anything, Jennings. I'm in a hotel room in Newport News right now. I see clouds building, but I was expecting another wimpy storm, like we had on Saturday.

More weather like yesterday's would be great!

This storm is moving into NC & Virginia now, and it seems to be doing a decent job of holding itself together as it goes over the Appalachians. The leading edge weakened some, but it appears to be gathering strength again. Looks like it'll probably hit us in the next hour or two.

I haven't heard anything, Jennings. I'm in a hotel room in Newport News right now. I see clouds building, but I was expecting another wimpy storm, like we had on Saturday.

More weather like yesterday's would be great!

we're well into out third electrical storm tonight (after 8:30pm). Two of them left us in the middle so we caught the outter edges of them. That was bad enough as it was steady lightening for about forty minutes. The middle one was fierce! Suspect it left over an inch of rain alone in thirty minutes. We fear hail, and have not seen any for over a month and a half. Good night for a twister as it's hot.

gary

One of my classmates is from Pikeville, KY, and said this morning that there are several people missing in the Pikeville area from last night's storms. Apparently at least one mobile home park was almost completely scraped clean.

By the time the storm reached Abingdon, Virginia where I live it had lost a lot of punch, but we had thunder and lightning and torrential rain all night. When I went to class this morning there was a severe thunderstorm line heading down from KY to eastern TN just west of here that was clocking 70 mph straight line winds.

Nasty stuff.

One of my classmates is from Pikeville, KY, and said this morning that there are several people missing in the Pikeville area from last night's storms. Apparently at least one mobile home park was almost completely scraped clean.

By the time the storm reached Abingdon, Virginia where I live it had lost a lot of punch, but we had thunder and lightning and torrential rain all night. When I went to class this morning there was a severe thunderstorm line heading down from KY to eastern TN just west of here that was clocking 70 mph straight line winds.

Nasty stuff.

we had a minimum of five different storms last night, and it actually looked like a continuous 155mm arty in the horizon! Three of them had pretty good strait line winds.

gary