Aftermarket for Kitty Hawk kits: an observation

So, I'm looking at my stash instead of working, and I find it interesting that there is very little aftermarket available for Kitty Hawk's 1/48 kits. With the exception of decals, SAC's corrected F9F nose gear strut, and Darren's fixes for the F9F, I can't think of anything made specifically for their kits. Monogram's 1968-vintage TBD has a better cockpit than those in the F-101A/C, Cougars, Jaguars, and Mirages, which have decals over 2-D photo-etched instrument panel and consoles. The F-101A/C needs new intakes and a correctly-shaped radome. I could go on, but I guess the bottom line is KH's kits must be too limited in appeal to attract much aftermarket support, compared to Trumpeter, which seemed to have an entire resin industry built around correcting their stuff.

Also, why the hell haven't we seen any correct 1/48 T-38 wheels, yet? There have been multiple T-38 kits with F-5 wheels available for years!

Ben (wasting time daydreaming instead of working :D/> )

agree that it seems that KH kits have less Resin parts dedicated to them, than other brands, still, maybe it's just a matter of time... nonetheless, eduard offer its PE sets and Masks at the same rate as for most other brand. aires does the F-101 Pit, Quickboost some intakes and antennas... KASL hobby does a couple of resin corrections for the F-35

my theory on the subject: based on what can be seen here, seems that there is two main groups of modelers, the "rivetcounters" and the "goodenuff'"... and, about some KH kits, the first group seems to think that there wouldn't be enough resin on earth to correct all the shortcomings on certain KH kits...

and the other group seems to be fine without any correction bits... so, a lots of KH kits are buy by people who don't care much about accuracy... if, like me, you're ready to throw some good $ on resin to correct a kit and get a more accurate model, you'll do like me, and wait...wait...wait(and build something else)

Edited by mingwin

Possibly because for many of them it would be putting lipstick on a pig - it'd still be a pig. I must admit they appear to be improving - slowly - but some of the earlier stuff has some problems.

Based on how poorly some of the kitty hawk kits are engineered, it's probably a matter of not wanting to invest time into aftermarket that probably won't fit any better than the original parts. The F-35 has been blessed with some really nice stuff from the guys at kasl hobbies, but I think they were just hoping that with the release of the 35 in 48th scale that it would yield big sales. Seeing as how they're usually always back ordered, that gamble paid off.

Their S-2 kit got some decent AM support. Seats, a Belcher set to back date the 2E, a US-2 conversion, wingfolds, etc. No rhyme or reason as to why some kits get the aftermarket love and others are ignored.

Sorry, that's because the S-2 is from Kinetic not Kitty hawk, they are in fact quite different, newer Kinetic kits are accurate in shape. Kinetic also has totally different design approach, for example even small jets like F-5A/B, alpha jet and T-45 have full length intakes, KH's Mig-25 on the other hand, reminds me of those matchbox days... :(

Back to the topic, I guess that's an indication that KH kits don't sell so well. For a kit manufacturer, the potential market for a particular subject is limited by number of modelers(with interest in the subject). For aftermarket guys, the potential market is limited by number of modelers who have brought the kits/number of units sold. For both parties it's the same, if the market would appear to be small, their effort mostly likely would be not worth it, at least from the money point of view.

Edited by delide

Also, why the hell haven't we seen any correct 1/48 T-38 wheels, yet? There have been multiple T-38 kits with F-5 wheels available for years!

Ben (wasting time daydreaming instead of working :D/>/> )

I have asked Armory quite some time ago whether they hay any plans to make T-38 wheels and indeed they did, and confirmed it again a bit later. I'd like to make T-38 wheels myself, but if another (bigger) company makes them as well I see no point in doing it. If Armory doesn't come up with them in the next year though I'll make a start on them myself.

Jeffrey

Sorry, that's because the S-2 is from Kinetic not Kitty hawk, they are in fact quite different, newer Kinetic kits are accurate in shape. Kinetic also has totally different design approach, for example even small jets like F-5A/B, alpha jet and T-45 have full length intakes, KH's Mig-25 on the other hand, reminds me of those matchbox days... :(/>

Back to the topic, I guess that's an indication that KH kits don't sell so well. For a kit manufacturer, the potential market for a particular subject is limited by number of modelers(with interest in the subject). For aftermarket guys, the potential market is limited by number of modelers who have brought the kits/number of units sold. For both parties it's the same, if the market would appear to be small, their effort mostly likely would be not worth it, at least from the money point of view.

Dooh!!! My bad. Sorry guys.

Dooh!!! My bad. Sorry guys.

I need a cheat sheet to keep track of who makes the most/which "mistakes" among HobbyBoss, Kinetic, Kitty Hawk, and Trumpeter. Having said that, however, my new HobbyBoss 1/48 FW 190D-11 looks very nice, so hopefully I'll see some new jets with the same quality coming from HobbyBoss.

(I'm still reeling from their A-7 and F-80).

Gene K

I need a cheat sheet to keep track of who makes the most/which "mistakes" among HobbyBoss, Kinetic, Kitty Hawk, and Trumpeter. Having said that, however, my new HobbyBoss 1/48 FW 190D-11 looks very nice, so hopefully I'll see some new jets with the same quality coming from HobbyBoss.

(I'm still reeling from their A-7 and F-80).

Gene K

The HB A-6 series is absolutely spectacular.

Chris Miller's SH-2 Sea Sprite "doghouse" correction set is a GEM from Cobra Company. I now have multiples of the kit and I have a correction set from Chris for every one of the kits. I also plan on ordering Darren's stuff for the Cougar whenever he gets those items back in stock after the Nationals.

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Edited by SonyKen

I could care less about accuracy. If it looks like an F-101, then fine with me. What I am looking for is build quality. Unless it is something very obvious, like a square that is supposed to be a circle. Take the kh F-86D for example. Just bad engineering all around. I got as far as the cockpit and the intake and just put it back in the box. I love the subjects they are putting out, but they have some serious work ahead of them as to kit design and build quality.

I disagree on the A-6. I have two of them, one part ways done, and I think that the way the nose is supposed to attach to the fuselage leaves a lot to be desired.Just not too well

thought out. The belly area around the engines is another area where HB really dropped the ball. And I was so looking forward to that kit too.

Eh, to each their own: Hobbyboss' Intruder is their best kit to date, with refined detail and (generally) good fit. SOOO much better than the RM kit, super results are achievable through careful assembly. Decals via Furball Aero, otherwise OOB except KMU-351's through Hasegawa Weapons set and seat detail from scrap PE. :thumbsup:/>

SANY0152_zps8ce019a4.jpg

SANY0174_zps1fb93d97.jpg

SANY0176_zpsf889d31b.jpg

Edited by metroman

Great looking A-6 metro an!

Seen some cracker builds of the A-6 in 32 and 48th yours is another.

Pity the 32nd kit has been ignored as it's gorgeous.

I mean no Sunday punchers in 32nd cmon!

With its big visible cockpit Aires need to get to work on the Intruders.

I disagree on the A-6. I have two of them, one part ways done, and I think that the way the nose is supposed to attach to the fuselage leaves a lot to be desired.Just not too well

thought out. The belly area around the engines is another area where HB really dropped the ball. And I was so looking forward to that kit too.

Hmm, that's interesting. I don't remember having too much trouble in those areas. Even with that, though, it leaps and bounds above the Kinetic and Revell kits.

930249_orig.jpg

I agree. I have the HB E and it puts the Kinetic kit to shame. A friend has that one and we compared the two. HB winner. I'm not impressed with Kinetic anyway. I have their S2 Tracker, two of them and lots of mistakes with that kit. I also have the T-45 and the E-2C 2K and those seem to be ok but still have some issues.

Possibly because for many of them it would be putting lipstick on a pig - it'd still be a pig. I must admit they appear to be improving - slowly - but some of the earlier stuff has some problems.

Took you 5 posts to get in here and spew your bile. You're really falling down on your job aren't ya?

Took you 5 posts to get in here and spew your bile. You're really falling down on your job aren't ya?

Please, avoid making it "personal" with other members... it's useless, and pointless.

furthermore, his post was answering to the OP's question, what you're not.

it was his opinion, you don't agree...good for you!

Put lipstick on a Pig won't make it a MiG....sad.gif

Edited by mingwin