Keurig 2.0 Coffee Maker Hack

Cool-Hand-Luke.jpg

Cool Hand Luke (1967)

How gentlemen, is it environmentally or financially bad, to fill up one of these babies and reuse it- over and over again?

Reusable%20K-Cups.jpg

My wife and I bought a Keurig 2.0 back in November. We've loved the thing ever since. Picked up on of those reusable cups as well. I personally think it works great. Less mess for me to deal with in the end.

You don't throw away the grounds. They go in the garden as fertilizer. If you don't have a garden (living in an apartment building or something), many local green spaces will take your grounds off your hands.

Caffeinated earthworms. can-of-worms.gif

LOL at any "coffee" where the spoon doesn't stand up

Our lab preferred their coffee sliced... gr_eek2.gif

Keurig supports the American fighting man. On their dime they send machines and thousands upon thousands of pounds of kcups to far flung places so service members can fight and win our nation's war. When class II won't give you rip its, Green Mountain will keep the caffeine coming.

Tim Hortons not only sends coffee to troops, but they have a complete mobile coffee shop they send out there...

hi-tim-hortons-kandahar.jpg

tim-hortons-in-kandahar.jpg

TimHortonsAfghanistan-05.jpg

Edited by RiderFan

I'll make this brief. For those of you with the new Keurig 2.0 coffee makers, you likely know by now that only Keurig "approved K-Cups" will work in their new machines. "Approved" means that the Keurig Kingdom gets a royalty from the makers of these cups (thus more expensive), while all other cups will only work in the older Keurig machines. There is a code imbedded into the rim of the approved cups that the new machines read, rendering all pretenders as useless.

A variety of workarounds have been found, the most notable one being to cut or tear the top off off of an approved cup and stick it over the non-approved cup, but that is a real PITA and they are hard to stick on. Other fixes have been found by the Rogers Coffee Company, who supply a free "clip" that attaches to the machine, but they have been so popular for obvious reasons, that I have been waiting for months to receive one and still have no clip. I notice that if I buy an order of Rogers coffee I can get a clip- no surprise there.

Fed up with buying expensive approved cups and putting stickers on cheaper non-approved cups, I searched around and found this EASY fix on YouTube. I wished I found this earlier (it's been out for 6 months), but better late than never. All you do is cut a little green wire. No stickers, no clip, nothing- and it works!

BTW, the magnet idea in the video is only useful if you want to brew cups over 10 oz in size, which I rarely do. Also, unlike most YouTube instructional videos, this guy actually gets down to business and doesn't waste 10 minutes of your time bragging about how smart he is, before he shows you how to do it.

There's always someone that will find a way to get around the manufacturer's proprietary system forcing you to only use their products in their devices. I have a printer that needs $100.00 worth of ink when it tells me it's out when actually there's ink still in the cartridges. I went ahead and installed a continuous ink system. I now have enough ink that will last me probably until I check out of this life and for less money than it cost to buy one set of cartridges that last less than a year. I did have to alter the printer cover because it has a proprietary interlock forcing you to use their cartridges. Some plastic surgery fixed that. Now I can say FU to Epson.

Tim Hortons not only sends coffee to troops, but they have a complete mobile coffee shop they send out there...

They charged, were only located at an apod, and left when the Canadians did! At least Green Beans stayed. Do you think there was a Tim Hortons with the Canadians at Masum Ghar? Nope, but they did get their k-cups from Green Mountain free of charge....

You don't throw away the grounds. They go in the garden as fertilizer. If you don't have a garden (living in an apartment building or something), many local green spaces will take your grounds off your hands.

I guess I have to agree with others, I understand the desire to often just want to make one cup of coffee, but the one-and-done plastic Keruig cups are an environmental disaster. Yes, I understand that there are ways to hack around the restrictions the company has put on the machine so that they can sell more disposable cups, but they shouldn't be selling little disposable cups in the first place. Why can't they do the same thing with one cup sized filter pouches? Accomplishes the same thing and the pouches are completely degradable.

If you make a full pot of coffee and drink one cup, there's almost nothing that can't be recycled. Even the coffee that is poured down the drain gets filtered, treated, and put back in the system as clean water. Grounds go in the garden. Almost zero waste.

The other thing you can do, if you just want to make one cup of coffee, is to make less coffee. There's nothing that says you have to fill up the entire pot. Reduce the amount of raw grounds in the filter, use less water, and you've made enough coffee for one cup.

Did this dude really just suggest coffee grounds be recycled? So they'll break down in my garden but not in a landfill?

They charged, were only located at an apod, and left when the Canadians did! At least Green Beans stayed. Do you think there was a Tim Hortons with the Canadians at Masum Ghar? Nope, but they did get their k-cups from Green Mountain free of charge....

Of course they left when the Canadian's did, it was there for the Canadians! As far as charging, a cup of coffee at Timmies is about a buck. Really not a big deal. And if memory serves, the people on duty got their coffee from Tim's for free anyway. It was the men and women off duty that paid.

Edited by RiderFan

Did this dude really just suggest coffee grounds be recycled? So they'll break down in my garden but not in a landfill?

Yes, this dude really just suggested coffee grounds be recycled and used in your garden. Can't believe the dude that asked that seems to have never heard of this before. Yes, obviously they'll break down in a landfill, but they're not doing any good there. Putting them in a garden or compost actually does something useful. Wow.. can't even believe I had to explain that.

Really not a big deal. And if memory serves, the people on duty got their coffee from Tim's for free anyway. It was the men and women off duty that paid.

It was $2-5 and a buck for a previously frozen donut, on the boardwalk, and everyone paid...even the little shack they had in their compound. Everyone else had to hoof, ride, or take a bus to get some of the mediocre coffee. Worst part yet, you had to be on KAF. Which excluded most of your fighting men who were elsewhere with only green mountain k-cups to keep them going.

Thanks for the original post regarding the hack. I was looking for a solution and it worked perfectly for me, much appreciated!

Keith

Glad I could help, which was the entire reason for my post. I might complain that the thread got sidetracked with all sorts of stuff unrelated, but EVERY thread in the general forum does! :D

• 5 years later...
On 7/25/2015 at 12:41 PM, Backfire said:

Thanks for the original post regarding the hack. I was looking for a solution and it worked perfectly for me, much appreciated!

Keith

Yes, it's really helpful, got this Keurig. Sorry for the up pals, just found this thread via Google

all the best

Frank

On 7/16/2015 at 5:31 PM, jpk said:

There's always someone that will find a way to get around the manufacturer's proprietary system forcing you to only use their products in their devices. I have a printer that needs $100.00 worth of ink when it tells me it's out when actually there's ink still in the cartridges. I went ahead and installed a continuous ink system. I now have enough ink that will last me probably until I check out of this life and for less money than it cost to buy one set of cartridges that last less than a year. I did have to alter the printer cover because it has a proprietary interlock forcing you to use their cartridges. Some plastic surgery fixed that. Now I can say FU to Epson.

My solution for my Epson Artisan 835 as well. Been using a CIS for well over 5 years. I am just now finishing up my first supply of ink.  

Edited by jpk