What are your essential, favorite, or most useful tools in your collection? I've been looking at getting some new tools lately. Stuff like pin vises, dremels, razor saws, that sort of thing. I pretty much just have the basic tools. (Sprue cutters, Knives (Xato), sandpaper, rulers ) Thanks guys! :)

Regards,

Colin

I have more than one, but I hope that this helps. (I'm not gonna add anything like glue, paint, etc., just tools):

- sanding sticks - these things are a God-send. I still use wet/dry sandpaper with sanding blocks, but sanding sticks are great. I also use the

ones that I buy in the ladies section (get some funny looks from the ladies) because they are a better buy than sanding sticks

made by modelers for modelers.

- razor saw

- toothpicks - toothpicks are a must for any work bench. They can be used for anything, including a mini-paintbrush, a paint stir stick, etc.

- Ex-Acto Knife - find me a workbench that doesn't have an Ex-Acto Knife with a whole slew of #11 blades, and, well, you know!

- Cotton Swabs - same as the last couple of items. Cotton swabs, buds, etc. are a must.

- Paint Brushes - a good selection of paint brushes is a must. Enough said there.

- Files - all kinds of files are needed for modeling.

- Sandpaper - Wet/Dry sandpaper is a must. After you file things down, they need to be sanded smooth or into shape.

- "Clippers" - We need something to cut parts from the sprues and then to clean things up, and on and on.

- We are just getting started. I hope that others chime in. I came up with this stuff in a rush. Oops, all types of tapes. I'm gonna stop, or I'll

be here all night.

My Go To tools, used on every single model I've built (OK, I didn't have all of these on the first couple/few of models...)

1. JLC razor saw and miter box
  2. Knives, several
  3. Needle files
  4. Sanding sticks
  5. Sanding pads
  6. Sprue cutter
  7. Curved-tip pointy tweezers, normally open, for gluin' bits
  8. Pin vise with #60-80 drills. Don't know the brand, but I have a couple other brands relegated to other duties
  9. Mission Models micro chisels, two
  10. Mr Surfacer 500
  11. Broad-tip tweezers, for placin' decals
  12. Sandwich picks for stirring paint (/very/ wide toothpicks)
  13. Cutting pads (1 glass, 1 plastic)
  14. Straight-tip tweezers, normally closed, for paintin' bits
  15. Airbrush, compressor, mixing cups, disposable gloves, pipe cleaners
  16. Brushes
  17. Tamiya masking tape, various widths

Commonly used, on more than half the model I've built:

1. Metal rules, straight edges
  2. Dial caliper (old school, but digital would be nice, too)
  3. Hand-held reamers
  4. Toothpicks
  5. Punch sets. Started with Waldron, but was always missing the Right Size. Just got three punch sets from UMM covering 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, ..., 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.2, 4.5, 4.8, 5.0, 2.2, 5.5, 5.8, 6.0, 6.2, 6.5, 6.8, 7.2 mm punches. Very Nice!
  6. Small Shop The BUG Photo Etch Bending Tool
  7. Mr Surfacer 500, ...
  8. Scriber
  9. Pin vise with pin, also for scribin'
  10. Small machinist squares, two

Good to have, made it much easier to build models:

1. Burnishing tool
  2. Small Shop PE rolling set
  3. Panavise with normal vice head plus a "parts holder" head.
  4. Scribing templates
  5. Silhouette Portrait cutter machine. I now always cut wheel masks with this bad boy. I've also done things like Cross Pattée, stars & bars, &etc.
  6. Frisket
  7. Decal paper (clear and white)
  8. Biplane jig

Edited by dnl42

For painting I like to use slices of Kraft American cheese. I cut the camo shapes out of the cheese and apply them to the model they stick enough to hold while painting and they help create a soft demarcation. Give it a try.

That sounds friggin crazy enough to be a brilliant idea...

For painting I like to use slices of Kraft American cheese. I cut the camo shapes out of the cheese and apply them to the model they stick enough to hold while painting and they help create a soft demarcation. Give it a try.

Does it leave any residue on the model?

Stacey