CD48092 - B-1B Lancer

Are the stencils included with this sheet or seperate? I can´t find it in the list.

Thanks!

The stencils are (of course) included in the set, along with the wing walkway markings. I have not decided yet whether I would make them available separately or not.

Let me just clarify this - for whatever reason, I received several questions asking if the stencils are included or not. Here is what you get in this set:

-The main markings sheet (see above) CD48092

-The stencilling sheet (see above) CD48092-ST

-The wing walkways sheet (not shown) CD48092-2

This multi-sheet arrangement is not unusual for Caracal Models products, and I have used a similar setup in many, many previous sets. It allows me to stick to my standard 6x9 in. shipping envelope/box size; and optimize costs by bundling separate stencil/national insignia sheets together with other print runs using the same colors. The stencils for this set were ready months ago, and I have stencil/national insignia sheets on my desk for future releases that you have never, ever heard about.

Edited by KursadA

I just got an e-mail from Cartograf saying that they are having production delays; and will not be able to ship this batch until after Christmas - so it looks like my December batch has just become the January batch :-(. I will use the extra time to set up a Christmas/New Year sale and work on my future designs. Sorry about the delay..

Hi Kursad

Too bad your production schedule was thrown for a loop. Hopefully Cartograf gets their issues sorted out. However this bodes well for me as it was getting tight there to get even more decals from you with the Christmas season and all its associated costs :(. The breather will do me good, I hope.

Looking forward to what will be coming in the new year.

One of your loyal customers.

Edited by skyhawk174

Hi Kursad

Too bad your production schedule was thrown for a loop. Hopefully Cartograf gets their issues sorted out. However this bodes well for me as it was getting tight there to get even more decals from you with the Christmas season and all its associated costs :(/>. The breather will do me good, I hope.

Looking forward to what will be coming in the new year.

One of your loyal customers.

Hi Chris,

Thanks - it looks like the delay is caused by the additional complexity of this sheet, which uses offset printing to accurately depict the gradients and tones in the "Symphony of Destruction" and "Dakota Queen" nose art. They would have been able to ship the other sheets in the batch on time, but I would rather get everything at once.

It should not really affect the schedule too much - I will send what would have been my January batch on the scheduled time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is an actual photo of the "Symphony of Destruction" nose art on the sheet. The gradients in the hand-painted artwork can not be faithfully reproduced in the traditional silkscreening process, so decal manufacturers typically put this kind of artwork on separate small sheets and get them printed by technoogies such as ALPS or UV-cured inkjet. I chose to use Cartograf's offset printing process to put them on the same sheet. The nose art element is actually a perspective-corrected and cleaned photo of the actual nose art.

b1bpic.jpg

A few more photos of the actual product - this has been so successful that I am already planning a follow-up; probably with markings for camouflaged B-1Bs this time. Most of this artwork will find its way into a 1/72 version later in the year.

cd48092p1.jpg

cd48092p2.jpg

I've ordered my B-1 sheet - and in looking at the artwork - I was wondering...

How do you lay out the artwork to fit on the sheets (in simple terms). Seems like that is a helluva' geometric puzzle with no two sheets being alike.

Is it artwork first - then lay it out, or artwork to fit a certain space?

It's always been interesting to me how much stuff decal makers are able to cram into such a tight space.

Regards,

Hitch

A few more photos of the actual product - this has been so successful that I am already planning a follow-up; probably with markings for camouflaged B-1Bs this time. Most of this artwork will find its way into a 1/72 version later in the year.

Any chances of this making it into a 1/144 sheet after you complete the 1/72 version? I don't foresee doing a quarter scale Bone but this sheet is tempting none the less.

What the heck, just pulled the trigger on a sheet. Great stuff Kursad!

Edited by Drifterdon

Any chances of this making it into a 1/144 sheet after you complete the 1/72 version? I don't foresee doing a quarter scale Bone but this sheet is tempting none the less.

The B-1B is big enough in 1/144 that I will consider doing a sheet if I am convinced that 1/144 is financially viable - again, it will depend mostly on how the 1/144 KC-135R sheet sells next month.

I've ordered my B-1 sheet - and in looking at the artwork - I was wondering...

How do you lay out the artwork to fit on the sheets (in simple terms). Seems like that is a helluva' geometric puzzle with no two sheets being alike.

Is it artwork first - then lay it out, or artwork to fit a certain space?

It's always been interesting to me how much stuff decal makers are able to cram into such a tight space.

Regards,

Hitch

Hi Hitch,

I usually design the artwork first and scale it correctly, and lay it out on the available sheet to get everything to fit. It is actually one of the more enjoyable parts of the design process.

If any of you have the 1/72 scale Monogram B-1B kit and can lend me the vertical stabilizer (tail fin), please let me know. The only shape-dependent elements on this sheet would be the tail bands, which need to fit the actual kit.

You don't have to send me the whole honkin' kit - the tail fin is a nice, separate part in the Monogram kit. I will just borrow the tail fin for a couple of days, and you will get a shiny new 1/72 B-1B sheet in return. It's that easy. I am having trouble finding the kit at any price.

Edited by KursadA

If any of you have the 1/72 scale Monogram B-1B kit and can lend me the vertical stabilizer (tail fin), please let me know. The only shape-dependent elements on this sheet would be the tail bands, which need to fit the actual kit.

You don't have to send me the whole honkin' kit - the tail fin is a nice, separate part in the Monogram kit. I will just borrow the tail fin for a couple of days, and you will get a shiny new 1/72 B-1B sheet in return. It's that easy. I am having trouble finding the kit at any price.

Got one for you...e-mail inbound

Edited by Ed Nirel