Buyer is upset over the fit of a model kit...

All, I need some advice on how to respond to a buyer. I sold a brand new Hasegawa 1/200 747-400 model kit; parts were still attached to the sprues and sealed in the clear plastic bag. I just received a message from the buyer saying the 2 fuselage halves do not fit together perfectly and he wants a refund.

I am a little bit flabbergasted. How do I explain that this is the norm with building a model kit?? From the photos he sent me it looks like the parts were not glued which also explains why parts may not line up properly :bandhead2:

All, I need some advice on how to respond to a buyer. I sold a brand new Hasegawa 1/200 747-400 model kit; parts were still attached to the sprues and sealed in the clear plastic bag. I just received a message from the buyer saying the 2 fuselage halves do not fit together perfectly and he wants a refund.

I am a little bit flabbergasted. How do I explain that this is the norm with building a model kit?? From the photos he sent me it looks like the parts were not glued which also explains why parts may not line up properly :bandhead2:/>/>/>

I can think of a hundred snide replies, but that would just get the buyer more militant. If you didn't sell it to him on ebay, tell him you'd be glad to refund his money if he gets all the parts back on the sprues with no glue marks, which is what you sold him and what he paid for. You cannot take any responsibilty for the manufacturer of the model or his modeling skills.

If you did sell it to him on ebay, be proactive right now and let ebay know that you have a problem with the buyer and he is being unreasonable. ebay now protects their buyers over sellers probably 95% of the time, which is likely what this dude is counting on. Jump ahead of this numnutz and cut him off at the pass.

"be glad to refund his money if he gets all the parts back on the sprues with no glue marks,", hah, Chuck, I like your definition of "original condition"

I would say; You cannot guarantee the fitment of any of the kits that you sale as it is up to the modelers skills on how a kit is completed. Since the kit was complete and as far as you know in good condition when it was sold to you, *I will not refund your money. * or you can do this; I will take the kit back, but you will have to pay for shipping and I will only refund half the cost as the kit is no longer in its original selling condition. Its all up to you on how you want to handle it with the buyer.

In the future, I would put disclaimers in all your auction or sale postings to cover yourself from stupid people like that. Especially if its on Ebay!

Good luck,

Robert

Unfortunately it was a sale on eBay. If he does complain to eBay I am confident eBay will side with me as the buyer admitted that the item did not arrived damaged, it was still new and sealed and that he experienced problems after assembling the kit. I was hoping the buyer dry fitted the parts and complained, at least I could have salvaged and resold the kit but now....

$_12.JPG?set_id=2

$_12.JPG?set_id=2

$_12.JPG?set_id=2

The buyer is currently communicating and somewhat rational so I hope I can persuade him to take a partial refund (1/3 of original cost) and who knows, maybe join this forum for tips and advice to advance in this hobby!

Robert, thanks for the advice. I will try some of the ideas you mentioned should this fail to work out.

Thats a HASEGAWA kit? The famous TAMIYAGAWA uber kits!!!! I have been wrestling

Revell, Monogram, Lindberg, AMT, Aurora, Airfix and countless short run Eastern

Bloc kit for years. This fit is no better than the early KP Mig-15 with ovulated

wheels I did 10 to 15 years ago. YGBSM!---John

The buyer is currently communicating and somewhat rational so I hope I can persuade him to take a partial refund (1/3 of original cost) and who knows, maybe join this forum for tips and advice to advance in this hobby!

Why, would you give him a nickel back? I'd be sending him an invoice for my time dealing with stupidity. It's your money.

Junkie,

Don't be so sure that Ebay won't side with the buyer. Ebay has sided with buyers for stranger reasons than that. Did you have verbige such as "All Sales Final" or No Refnds on Started kits or as Chuck suggested "Kits must be returned in original condition". Knowing Ebay they will ask the buyer these questions or will go through your ad with a fine tooth comb and if theses statements aren't there then Ebay may very well side with the buyer. I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Here is the original photo of the kit:

_57.jpg

And this is a photo from the buyer of the supposed ill-fitment of parts or warping after he was able to unglue the parts:

$_12.JPG?set_id=2

There are no signs of warping in my photo as the parts were still attached to the sprues and sealed with everything looking pristine. We've all come across duds regardless of brand and some issues are fixable. Had the buyer just opened the bag and dry fitted the parts I would've grudgingly accepted a return and either kept the kit for myself or sold to an experienced modeler who could correct the issue. For all I know, the buyer could've just placed glue on the edges and slapped the 2 halves together without properly aligning the parts.

I am aware that eBay may well side with the buyer and screw me over. I also agree that I do not owe the buyer a single penny as I fulfilled my obligation in delivering the kit as shown and described but I just want this person to go aware, even if I have to give some money back. Its better the having to issue a full refund. The buyer has stated that he be willing to take this issue to a public forum or youtube to get advice from others. Again, I would've have taken a return if it was not partially built but the buyer glued to parts together (supposedly he was able to separate them but I am unsure of the condition of the parts).

I made sure to have the buyer agree that the kit arrived as described and the kit was new and undamaged from shipping. He has also admitted this seems like a manufacturing issue. Hopefully, should it come to a claim it will give eBay enough to consider taking my side rather than blindingly side with the buyer. I could claim that its user error; he is inexperienced and made errors building the kit.

Am I really be obligated to take the kit back? He is currently trying to push to keep the kit & get a 75% refund so obviously the issue is not all that bad if he is willing to keep the kit?

Edited to point out that the buyer's photo is of the fuselage after he unglue the parts

Edited by Model-Junkie

I made sure to have the buyer agree that the kit arrived as described and the kit was new and undamaged from shipping. He has also admitted this seems like a manufacturing issue.

As long as you have that info (evidence), give him nothing. You have done nothing wrong. If you do, it's charity, which isn't always a bad thing.

I think you should hold your ground on this one. The buyer agreed the kit is build-worthy, but at 1/4 of the cost. If the plane will build up at a discount, it will build up at the agreed price.

Some things to think about:

Modeling is a skill that is continuously developed. Any review of the kit would have shown the difficulties and ways to overcome them. No kit comes together without some type of modification. Manufacturers routinely release kits with some sort of fit issue. This is why modelers test fit and use jigs, tape or glue long surfaces in sections.

Verdict: User error, the model is still workable if the user follows proper preparation methods for the build.

Sometimes gluing small sections of the fuselage halves at a time...then warping the fuselage halves as you glue the next small section will sort out an issue like this.

I have to admit I'm surprised he didn't just toss it on the kit stash after he received it. I guess he doesn't understand our hobby very well. :woot.gif:

I have to admit I'm surprised he didn't just toss it on the kit stash after he received it. I guess he doesn't understand our hobby very well. :woot.gif:/>

:rofl:

Ebay is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get!

I have to agree that you should stand your ground, saving all communications and pictures.

1- Why would you give a refund when you are not at fault?

2- All items were on the sprue when shipped, how would you even know there`s a fit problem, let alone be responsible for it?

Not meaning to be snide to the buyer but that`s modelmaking, that`s why we get through a lot of filler and sandpaper.

Anyone who`s built AMT`s tankers in 72nd scale or Academy`s F-15 is no stranger to the green stuff and several varying grades of wet`n`dry.

I`m especially motivated to urge you to withstand this when I read:

`He is currently trying to push to keep the kit & get a 75% refund so obviously the issue is not all that bad if he is willing to keep the kit?`

If he wants to keep the kit then the deal is complete, he shouldn`t ask for a refund just because the model didn`t turn out as he imagined AFTER he started work on it.

The more I think about it, the more outrageous this seems. Better sign off.

Stick with it, you did nothing wrong, why should you be penalised?

Cheers, Ian

I might go back to my car dealer and ask for a refund for my 2+ years car as it is not performing as advertised.

To me, that's how stupid the buyer's request is.

Wonder if he brings back steaks to his butcher after cooking them because they don't look/taste as good as he was expecting.

And so forth...

Thanks for the responses. I am glad to see that most people will deal with the kit issue shown above rather than blame the seller, especially if the kit is new. Right now, the buyer has moved to asking for a full refund. I am communicating with eBay and hoping something amicable to both parties can be arranged. I will be adding this person to the Bad Trader section just as a heads up to other sellers / traders. This person is apparently a little knowledgeable about model kits as he knows of which brands have a perceived 'high' quality.

"I did not produce this kit, it was produced by Hasegawa in Japan. I'm sorry you find the fit less than satisfactory, but the kit was sold to you exactly the way I received it, and I had no way to know about the parts fit before I sold it to you. Sorry, but no refund."

I have to admit I'm surprised he didn't just toss it on the kit stash after he received it. I guess he doesn't understand our hobby very well.

Priceless! :D

Edited by zeus60