Main rotor folding MH-60S 1/35° ?...

Hi guys !

I am looking for a set resin to fold the main rotor MH-60 1/35 academy, anyone know if this exsiste?

Is that the Black Hawk had the same type of main rotor? there you could fold their rotors too?

Someone would have photos?

Thanks !!!

No resin set for them in 1/35 anyways.

The MH-60S has a power-folding Naval rotor head. Flip a switch in the cockpit and the rotors fold. You can see all the extra wires and pistons, etc. in the below pics. Also, the blade roots are angled to allow room for them to fold.

US_Navy_030405-N-7781D-023_An_Airman_performs_maintenance_on_an_SH-60_Seahawk_helicopter_attached_to_the_Dusty_Dogs_of_Helicopter_Anti-submarine_Squadron_Seven_(HS-7)_aboard_USS_Harry_S._Truman_(CVN_75).jpg

US_Navy_050525-N-0167B-011_An_Aviation_Electronics_Technician_performs_corrosion_control_on_an_HH-60H_Seahawk_helicopter.jpg

US Army UH/MH-60A/L/Ms and USAF HH/MH-60Gs do not fold automatically. To fold them, you have to unbolt them and add a spacer and reattach the bolts in the folded position.

S7303390.jpg

S7303388.jpg

57aa7062-602b-433c-9d17-32cd04dd0a6a.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty
  • 2 months later...

Hopefully Werner Wings or Cobra Company is doing a rotor folding set in the near future!!

Gino approached me to work on one for the Shapeways Shop I have. We're currently working thru the basic design to fit with kit parts, and not going into excessive detail.

Gino's happy with them... so Here they are:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KHMTSLN2J/1-35-rotor-hinge-for-mh-60s-academy?li=shop-inventory&key=4a2e101d73ba7e5a515487ad82eb4aac

Matt

Edited by mdlbldrmatt135

You are correct, but in 1/35, the blades can be manipulated to rotate as you glue them in position to clear eachother. I can work with the printed hinges and make them come out looking good and pretty accurate. Oliver is not even using H-60 hinges, but replacing them with Super Frelon hinges, which are totally wrong.

Edited by HeavyArty

Now, those new hinges look nice. Can't wait to see Gino's review of them :thumbsup:

Btw, would it have been better to design a whole new rotor instead of just the hinges to make a more accurate representation of the USN halo? I thought the academy kit rotor, which is the US Army Blackhawk rotor, is wrong for the navy bird...??

I received the rotor blade hinges from Shapeways today. They look great and fit the kit parts perfectly. They also work just as the real ones do. Excellent job by Matt on making the CAD for them.

Here they are.

3D_Hinges.jpg

They will look even better when painted and have all the hoses/wires added.

I received the rotor blade hinges from Shapeways today. They look great and fit the kit parts perfectly. They also work just as the real ones do. Excellent job by Matt on making the CAD for them.

< snippage >

The hinges "work just as the real ones do"...ok they open and close. You're nowhere in the neighborhood even close to an actual correct folding rotor head though. As CrazyGlueSniffer posted there's more than just hinge action in the folding. There's movement of the entire hinge mount on each blade as well as rotation.

Yellow line is the centerline of the rotor head arm...red is the centerline of the hinge and mount assembly. It moves. Left and right.

2_zpsvpwxzd8n.jpg

3_zpsg5i2tmso.jpg

Blue line is the top of the rotor head arm...green is the top of the hinge and mount assembly. It moves. Up and down.

1_zpsr2uyyjov.jpg

4_zpsxlskjg2i.jpg

Orange is the centerline of the rotor head arms...purple is the centerline of the hinge and mount assembly. It rotates. Up and down.

5_zpsskkkczh1.jpg

If you want to do it halfway and leave the kit rotor head as is with new hinges calling it a pretty good looking and accurate folded rotor head...good luck with that. Nice try though.

I have a question just out of curiosity. When the blades fold, there a set position for each blade correct? In other words, the blade folding from the front pilot's side is always the same blade folding like that. So it seems like the movement for each would be different and possibly all the moving pieces would have to be different, not just the hinges. Is that right?

Edited because the first way I asked was just plain stuuuupid.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Got all the above. I am happy with the way they look and the fold does look pretty close to how they actually are. If the modeler wants to reengineer the entire rotor head, go for it, more power to him. I am satisfied with them. No one is forcing these on anyone. If you want to use them, great. If you don't, that is fine too.

This pic is how the rotor head lies when you assemble them and slightly rotate the mounts so the two forward blades slope down. It is close enough for me.

5_zpsskkkczh1.jpg

Yes, your HH-60H is awesome. Not everyone wants to put that much work into it. These are a start if they want to do all that and a good compromise if they don't.

By the way, I never stated anywhere above that these would give you a totally accurate folding rotor head. I just said the hinges will be accurate and I could "make them come out looking good and pretty accurate."

Edited by HeavyArty

I have a question just out of curiosity. When the blades fold, there a set position for each blade correct? In other words, the blade folding from the front pilot's side is always the same blade folding like that. So it seems like the movement for each would be different and possibly all the moving pieces would have to be different, not just the hinges. Is that right?

Edited because the first way I asked was just plain stuuuupid.

Bill

Hey-

Correct. Before folding, the rotor head is driven (automatically) to the correct index position and pitch on each blade is set, so each blade will always fold in the same way. So it does seem likely that all the pieces would be slightly different on each blade.

Phil

If you just fold them straight back you'll hit the blades behind them. Look at pictures closely and you'll see a ball and socket joint where the blade meets the rotor head. The forward blades have to drop down and then fold back. Hisnisnwhy mkst people end up doing it wrong, like the way Oliver has his done.

The blades do go straight back. The main transmission has a 3 degree forward tilt and thus allow the forward blades to rotate back using the pivot point on the "back" blade pin and align under the back blades. The "ball and socket" is the blade dampener that allows some lead and lag of the blade in the elastomeric bearing. The Navy has their dampener linked in with hydraulics to move the blade back but not up or down. On the Non-automatic folding blades the brackets used as in Ginos pictures aid in the proper alignment of the blades when folded. The Navy uses the folding system out of necessity as it takes a well trained crew of 5 about 45 minutes to an hour to fold them otherwise.

Matt nice work on the CAD they look great.

Dan

Hey-

Correct. Before folding, the rotor head is driven (automatically) to the correct index position and pitch on each blade is set, so each blade will always fold in the same way. So it does seem likely that all the pieces would be slightly different on each blade.

Phil

That's what I am thinking. hmmmm...would be a fun, if not maddening exercise in 3d modeling to do the whole hub assembly.