There have been a lot of "political" threads over the years, or that have evolved into political discussions for one reason or another. I am as guilty as anyone if not more so for many of them.

Because some of these threads have became contentious, the Forum evolved into a "No Politics" zone. Some folks out there think that this is the way it should be. After all, this is an aircraft modeling website. Anyone who wants to discuss politics can go to a political website, etc. Okay, fine and dandy, but generally speaking, it is not fulfilling, as I don't know any of these folks and have nothing in common with them. It is like talking politics to strangers. Why bother?

The simple fact is that you guys are my online social circle. I have read numerous posts of yours, and vice versa about all sorts of things. I have a feel for your basic mentalities and perspectives, and although the board leans a bit conservative due to the fact that many of us have military backgrounds, we are not exclusively so. Also, I know that most folks here are intelligent and can put together a decent argument. In short, I care about your opinions, NOT personality-less strangers.

We live in a very politically polarizing era. Perhaps it has always been so, and I just wasn't paying as much attention because I have had other things going on in my life. But I am paying attention now, and am truly troubled by what is going on in our nation. I worry about our future, and the potential failure of the grand experiment we call America. The law of unintended consequences is alive and well. I feel the need to express opinions, get feedback; read others opinions, provide feedback. I realize that one person's opinion on something will not make a difference unless that person is in a position to effect change, but it is worthwhile to have exchanges of ideas in order to evaluate the intellectual merit of those ideas.

I propose a "Politics" section of the board that can be visited by anyone who is up for discussion/debate on the latest issues of the day. If you want to weigh in on something and have a spirited debate, this would be the place to do it. If you just want to cruise by and see what is being discussed, that is okay. If you are completely revolted by any sort of political discussion, then just don't drop in, just like any other section of the board you are not interested in.

What would still be off limits is any personal slander, attack, or name calling. The discourse would need to remain civil.

What do you guys think?

I've seen it tried on these sites over the years (including here, in the noworks54 years) and it never works. Always escalates, becomes a moderator's nightmare and has a tendency to cross over to other sites.

I'm thinking you'll get a resounding and definitive no.

Ken

Anyone who wants to discuss politics can go to a political website, etc. Okay, fine and dandy, but generally speaking, it is not fulfilling, as I don't know any of these folks and have nothing in common with them. It is like talking politics to strangers. Why bother?

After seeing some of the political (and other) views some of my friends have espoused, it made me wonder why I'm friends with them. That's why I mostly avoid political "discussions" on line. We don't need that here.

It's not the worst idea I've seen suggested, but it's a non-starter for me personally. The biggest hurdle is what you personally find appealing is repugnant to somebody else, and vice versa. If you feel incredibly strongly aboot it, you're prone to wanting to say so. ARC is made up of people from all over the world, many with wildly differing views on how things are. Sometimes it's difficult for some to remain civil over things like decals. Politics is far more incendiary.

Keeping it confined to one area is also a problem. Once the butthurt begins, it spreads to other threads, other sections. What one person finds to be is a funny, sarcastic retort (what, you don't all find my weird postings hilarious? I'm hurt..) is highly offensive or inflammatory to another, and the fight's on again.

Then you get into how to deal with the inevitable blowups. Eventually somebody crosses a line, but who determines the line? What you may deem an insult may not be seen as one by the poster, or a mod reading it. Then if action is taken by a mod, or none at all, cries of favouritism begin to fly. That's a non-productive event.

I've seen some pretty tame political comments blow up into full out Snarkfests in the past. I personally don't see the benefits outweighing the disadvantages.

Al P

No. And you have been around more than long enough to know exactly why.

I am as guilty as anyone if not more so for many of them.

Maybe you should learn your damned lesson, cut the crap and follow the rules. Alternatively, maybe the Admins need to get tougher with those individuals who repeatedly violate those rules.

Another no vote here. Political discussion killed Modeling Madness' discussion forums, in that the strong differences of opinions could not be resolved civilly which drove many active posters/users away. Certain individuals' intolerance of, and general nastiness to, those of differing opinions made it an unfriendly place and that carried over to the other sections of the boards there. That site is but a shadow of what it one was because of all that - there are maybe 3-4 new posts PER DAY there now vs. what it was before. I don't want that to happen here.

I say NO too. I have been on ARC since its inception (member #56) and I have seen every

thing that has transpired on here over the years, good and bad. I come here for the

modeling site it is, not politics which I consider a waste of my breath. If you want

no holds barred politics along with your modeling fix then join Z5.

:cheers:/>

Jerry

Edited by k5ikl

Another NO here.

I used to be a member of the FSM forums and pulled out of them permanently after one too many dust ups that were political at their core.

If I want to see politics; I'll turn on the TV and watch the news, not come to a forum related to one of my free time pursuits.

There has to be a better way to run a country and modelling board other than politics.

It has destroyed this country and the world as far as I am concerned. I also no longer

visit MM. Whats wrong with conservatives, or liberals or

progressives? Then again whats wrong with raised, engraved or scribed lines? That's all

I have to say.---John

Edited by john53

Absolutely NOT! No way! If anyone wants politics go elsewhere and make in roads and political sparring partners there. Leave ARC a NO POLITICS zone.

Happy Modeling!

I have also quit various other boards due to divisive political discussions. And it doesn't only go for US politics (in which I have absolutely no interest anyway) but also world politics. Same goes for religious discussions. So, a very big NO vote from me also.

Okay, well it seems pretty universal, and as aptly illustrated by MoFo's response, we can't even have a discussion about the possibility of a Forum section on politics without it becoming personal. Just this thread sparked anger in him and perhaps others,

I guess, as was pointed out, we cannot, as a species, discuss controversial subjects rationally as each of us is emotionally invested in our perspective. The lizard portion of our brain still dominates, and as long as there is competition over resources and ideologies, it will remain with so. I guess we better keep our defense budget intact.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

No more politics here for me, which probably means I won't have very much to say. I am sure some of you will be happy about that.

I would have to say No as well.

So I would have to ask... is your avatar a picture of a historical American Revolution-era flag, or a political statement?

If we're not going to have political "discussion" it seems to me that overtly political signature images and avatars should be banned as well.

Edited by Jennings

Absolutely not. We've been down this road once before on ARC. It did not end well. The brief, short lived current affairs/politics forum was an unmitigated disaster. I'd vote we learn from history and not make the same mistake twice.

As for a reduced post count from the OP, I'd have to ask, if you're not here to talk aviation and models, then why are you here? It's not "Politics Resource Center."

A solid "no."