IPMS 2015 Nats - Share your thoughts here!

3 members have voted

1. 1. Are the IPMS Nationals in need of a new host?

• Yes - Same places all the time.
    • No - I'm satisfied with the usual suspects.

Is anyone at the Nats? I believe there were supposed to be some news coming out of the convention. Anyone have news? I'm starving here.

Edit - I've changed the name of the post to reflect the recent additions and added an informal poll.

Edited by jgrease

We'll be heading out Monday..spending a couple days in Akron on the way down to see some friends and visit the MAPS Air Museum. Probably hit the USAF Museum on the way home. One thing I'm a little curious about: has anyone heard any scuttlebutt about who may be bidding for the 2017 Nats? The old East/West/Central rotation schedule has pretty much fallen by the wayside, but I'd love to see another Nats out west somewhere.

SN

It is down to Omaha or Phoenix.

I hope it is Omaha. Omaha is going to use that nice suburban style venue (attached Embassy Suite and Courtyard) with open and FREE parking which allows you to come and go at will. Enables you to eat anywhere and at whatever price levels you choose. With no nickel and diming like is done at most of the downtown style facilities, there is more money left over to be spent at the show on modelling rather than incidentals such as parking and expensive hotel/convention hall food.

Plus the vendors won't be deterred from coming with the insane union fees that the vendors in Phoenix had to pay the last time there (and I am assuming that is still the same since they are bidding using the same venue).

We'll be heading out Monday..spending a couple days in Akron on the way down to see some friends and visit the MAPS Air Museum. Probably hit the USAF Museum on the way home. One thing I'm a little curious about: has anyone heard any scuttlebutt about who may be bidding for the 2017 Nats? The old East/West/Central rotation schedule has pretty much fallen by the wayside, but I'd love to see another Nats out west somewhere.

SN

You're going to be right in my backyard. Enjoy Maps it's come a long ways since I started going there as a kid. I even put some time into working on the Mig-17.

Any other ARCers you're visiting in the area?

Well as part of the Phoenix team I am bias for our bid LOL. That and I don't really feel like going to Omaha twice in August (2017), once fore the convention and then the Eclipse two week later...

Jim

Jim,

I think you have the inside track since most of the voting members on the eBoard deciding the bids are from Phoenix.

Any idea whether IPMS has a conflict of interest rule where the board members from the home area have to abstain? I would hope so to maintain the integrity of the society.

Gordon (who will come whichever bid wins)

Didn't Phoenix just have it a couple of years ago? It seems like it's becoming the Phoenix/Columbus/Virginia Beach Nationals. I understand if nobody else bids, but when there are other cities willing to host, they should have the opportunity. The Omaha nats a few years ago was one of the best nats in recent history. There were no hitches and the venue was great. I would imagine they also have a bigger population draw.

"I think you have the inside track since most of the voting members on the eBoard deciding the bids are from Phoenix."

How can this happen? Shouldn't the Phoenix members recuse themselves from voting since it's a conflict of interest? I'm a bit puzzled that this is being allowed to happen.

That's the thing - there aren't many groups willing to put in the amount of time and work required to host the Nationals. It's a 2 1/2 to 3 year commitment from the time you start working on your bid until the show goes off, and since this is done exclusively with volunteers, it's not easy for many chapters. The IPMS has made changes to help - they have standardized many things, such as registration, and they are continuing to explore other idea, but even with that, I don't remember the last time they had more than two chapters submit a bid.

"I think you have the inside track since most of the voting members on the eBoard deciding the bids are from Phoenix."

I'm not sure who you consider a "voting member" but looking at the IPMS directory, only 3 of 9 currently on the E-board are from Phoenix. That doesn't sound like "most" to me.

Well We had it last in 2010. Omaha was the next year so they have had it since we have had it. All of the members who can vote that are from Phoenix will recuse them selves from the vote. Both are proven venues, I'm sure it will come down to what the best deal is for the society.

Jim

Well We had it last in 2010. Omaha was the next year so they have had it since we have had it. All of the members who can vote that are from Phoenix will recuse them selves from the vote. Both are proven venues, I'm sure it will come down to what the best deal is for the society.

Jim

This is the perfect time to use a movie quote. "Well, there it is!" :D/>/> I'm assuming you're going to be in Columbus. I actually get to go and vend! Yeah!!!!!! Make sure to stop by the SB table and we can set up a time for dinner.

Edited by Darren Roberts

I could go for a Phoenix Nats. We had an awsome time there in 2004, but missed the 2010 show. I'd definitely love to see Pima and AMARG again. This time we might rent a car and visit Sedona as well.

SN