I have always liked MASH the TV series since it was first shown in the 70s and 80s here in the UK, with no adverts, on BBC2. That was pre cable and satellite TV when we only had three channels - but it was a good life. The reruns are now scarce in the UK, even with 57 plus channels...

Now I have the "Martinis and Medicine" complete DVD set (albeit region 1) and can watch it whenever I like.

I was wondering which people's favourite (or favorite) episodes were?

I have a few: Welcome to Korea, Change of Command and Point of View being among them.

Anyone here have a favourite or favorites?

:cheers:

Darius

I'd have to say the final episode, "Goobye, Farewell, and Amen" is my favorite. Not only is it emotional for the characters, you can almost feel how emotional it is for the actors as well, who had essentially become a family throughout the years.

"That Darn Kid" from season 10.

The goat eats the company pay and Winchester gets into debt with the wonderfully nefarious Sgt Rizzo, as played by G.W. Bailey.

Anything with Rizzo, or the crazed Colonel Flagg is good comedy value. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Ian

I don't know the episode but there's a psychiatrist sent to examine the unit and Frank Burns is trying to pretend that he gets along with Hawkeye and Trapper, he states that after the war the three of them will be opening a clinic. Hawkeye responds by stating that Frank will be parking the cars.

Col Flagg was always funny...looking for a "commie under every bed". Even Flagg's name hinted at a patriotic meaning. I enjoyed the bumbling Henry Blake more than Col Potter. Too many good shows to pick a favorite.

Col. Flagg episodes were always good.

I remember the one with the unexploded bomb in the compound. They keep trying to get help with it and everybody's paying attention to the football game.

Honestly

This was a series that I can admit that I watched religiously.

All of the episodes were my favorite.

Can't pick one over the others.

Just watched them again on Netflix.

Laughed and cried.

Damn they don't make tv like that anymore.

William G

Generally all of them are pleasant to me (when the Trapper tryed to adopt small boy, when Hawkeye invite party on the beach, of course about 5 o'clock Charlie, about imagination person captain Tuttle, about visit of TV documantary in MASH, when in one episode we see full year of war), but likely yes, a final episode - Goodbye, Farewell and Amen.

Edited by kotey

Don't know the episode name but Harry Morgan played a loose cannon

named General Steele, he was a guest star before he was a

regular on the show.---John

Edited by john53

Don't know the episode name but Harry Morgan played a loose cannon

named General Steele, he was a guest star before he was a

regular on the show.---John

I think that episode was "The General flipped at dawn".

My other favourites are the ones with Sydney Freedman the psychiatrist - especially the one with BJ filling Frank's air raid shelter with water.

:cheers:

Darius

My favorite had to be 1951 about the baseball season of the same year The Giants win the pennant!!!!

I always liked that episode, aside from the fact that it completely obliterates the timeline set by the previous 8 seasons. Potter took command of the 4077th on 19 Sept 1952. Yet there he is bringing in 1951 with the rest of the gang that shouldnt be there (BJ and Winchester)

I like them all, It was the first TV series I owned all complete seasons off. The episode that I like the most is "trick or treated" The one with Hawkeye dressed as superman... I wish revell would re-issue the models again. Love to try & do the Swamp scene again!!!

Ash

It's been a while since I watched M.A.S.H. so I don't recall any episodes specifically by title. I generally recall enjoying it more prior to Alan Alda getting the amount of control he did over production and turning it into his own personal soapbox. Too many of the later episodes were too Hawkeye centric for me.

My feelings toward the TV series also changed a lot once I got around to reading the novel and seeing the original film based on it. In a lot of ways, I could see why Richard Hooker wanted to dissociate himself from the TV series.

I think that episode was "The General flipped at dawn".

My other favourites are the ones with Sydney Freedman the psychiatrist - especially the one with BJ filling Frank's air raid shelter with water.

:cheers:/>

Darius

I'll second this one - priceless!!!! :woot.gif:

They were all great but this one sticks in my mind, first time I saw it I LMAO!!

Col Flagg was always funny...looking for a "commie under every bed". Even Flagg's name hinted at a patriotic meaning. I enjoyed the bumbling Henry Blake more than Col Potter. Too many good shows to pick a favorite.

I agree any with Flagg in it, also 'Hey Doc' when Frank commandeers a tank and runs over Potters jeep, Potter then pulls out his side arm and put the jeep out of its misery, funny stuff.

The episode where Hawkeye gets a concussion and does the one-man show in the Korean farmer's house, and the episode when Henry Blake goes home. The ending of that one still makes me cry. :)

It's been a while since I watched M.A.S.H. so I don't recall any episodes specifically by title. I generally recall enjoying it more prior to Alan Alda getting the amount of control he did over production and turning it into his own personal soapbox. Too many of the later episodes were too Hawkeye centric for me.

I agree, I thought Futurama`s take on the I-Hawk robot that had an `irreverent/maudlin` switch was pure genius.

Maudlin: "This isn't a war it's a murder"

Irreverent: "This isn't a war it's a moirder"

The episode where Hawkeye gets a concussion and does the one-man show in the Korean farmer's house, and the episode when Henry Blake goes home. The ending of that one still makes me cry. :)/>

I'll have to go 50/50 with you on that one. The first one you mention is just about the most unwatchable episode they made, there's so much Hawkeye in it that I can't sit through it.

The one where Henry goes home though, really is one of the more touching and emotional ones. I think it's because the writers didn't tell anyone how it would go until they gave Gary Burghoff his lines moments before he had to deliver them. That was so real because you knew the actors didn;t expect it either.

I can't say I have a favorite..just too many really good ones to choose from. The show was on when I was in high school, and wrapped up the year after I graduated. In fact, on our senior trip our class stopped at Tony Packo's in Toledo for dinner. Mandie and I will even be eating there tomorrow night on our way to the Nats in Columbus..they don't make as big a deal out the M*A*S*H connection anymore, since it's been over a generation since it ended, but the food is still awesome (we always seem to end up at the table under Cpl. Klinger's framed hat.)

It's interesting..for many years the show had disappeared from syndication, but has recently been maming a comeback. I can stumble across an old rerun, and not only figure out what episode it is within a few seconds, but I can still quote about 90% of the diialogue.

I'm probably committing sacrilege, but I never really liked the finale. Too much crying Hawkeye trying to exorcise his demons..and it was basically a warmed over rehash of an earlier episode where the smell of a wounded soldier's wet clothes brought back Hawkeye's repressed memories of a childhood trauma.

SN

Edited by Steve N