Ok so ... the general consensus before the rivet counting started was "This kit overall looks pretty good, generally good shape and looks decent OOB"

Not being a fan of Trumpeter's decals...I do second that suggestion that we need some more markings. And I think we definitely need some PE to spruce up the OOB plastic.

-Awan

Hi Chuck,

yes, this kit is very inaccurate. Just check the vains of the rear landing gear. They starts when the rear sliding doors end. And the two doors are equal in length.

1481048.jpg

The version you are comparing it to is not an HH-65C. That is the French Navy version which is different. It is actually pretty close to a USCG HH-65C.

Hey guys, I've mocked up the fuselage with the gear and compared it to some nice side view pictures of a Coast Guard HH-65C, that gear looks pretty close to me as to where it should be. Perhaps it's a little different on the Italian version.

Chuck

The version you are comparing it to is not an HH-65C. That is the French Navy version which is different. It is actually pretty close to a USCG HH-65C.

Hi man. I was talking about the 365N2 kit. But the main dimensions of an HH-65 are the same of an AS365N3+. So main rotor height, fenestron diameter, distance between front and main gear, tyres diameter(equal for all the 4 tyres), sliding doors length and so on are the same. Not to mention the main blades bending that is just wrong and horrible.

So, imho, this kit is really inaccurate. If you want to check it in first person look at this and divide all per 48 :) AS365N3-DimensionB.jpg

I just got the Trumpeter 1/35 H65 this afternoon, I am not an expert but at first glance it looks like they scaled up the 1/48 version. I am waiting for the French Navy version to come out in late August.

Oliver

I just got the Trumpeter 1/35 H65 this afternoon, I am not an expert but at first glance it looks like they scaled up the 1/48 version. I am waiting for the French Navy version to come out in late August.

Oliver

Well...the 1:35 fenestron is more exact than the 1/48 one so i think it's not the 1/48 kit scaled up. But i need a side view of a built to give you accurate info about inaccuracies and missing parts (for example i noticed that there are no windshield wipers).

Well, concerning the rear doors, and as it was said in another topic, the N2 depicts an early version

it matches for exemple an West Michigan Air Care or an Air Korea. Most of the N2's had the short rear doors upgraded to the larger bulged doors, when not produced directly with them. Most but not all. if you look to those early versions, there is good distance between the end of the door and the rear wheel cover, can't say it is so wrong here.

I admit the rotor blades have this currious bending at the roots, but I think it will not be too hard to get them flat.

concerning the 10 blades assymetric tail rotor, early HH-65C had the 11 blades before upgrade, you can find picture of them with a little google search, and the kit is depicted as a HH-65C, not D.

However, I admit I have better eurocopter drawings but I dit not place the kit on them for comparison, so can't realy say. So far they look like a Dolphin

Norbert

Hi Norbert. The HH-65s, when re-engined with the Arriel 2c2 cg, were planned to get the 11 blade replaced by the new 10 blades one. In fact the first 10 blades fenestron were mounted on the C version. By the way this is not an "error" ( for example in the kit the protective shield under the left exhaust engine is missing (and it's wider than the one we have on the N3) ).

Errors are the wrong overall dimension. If you want i can measure on the real one the distance between the rear door and the rear wheel cover but at a first look i can state it's incorrect because, even though the earlier N2s got this short aerodynamic sliding doors (made for VIP version, they permit a higher cruise speed), the interior cabin is the same in terms of length and height.

One thing is wrong 100% and it's the rear wheel diameter.

So far, the 1:48 kitty hawk is the most accurate 365 kit

Good night! :thumbsup:

Edited by as365n3

The overall length and spacing of the gear should be easy enough to check.the forward end of the main landing gear bays is Station x4430 IIRC, the x4430 frame also being where the cabin ends and the baggage compartment begins. Small problem is the reference datum for the frames is based on the short nose, so the tip of the long nose is actually a negative number for a station reference. When I go back to work on Tuesday I'll crack open the structure repair manual and get frame references for pertinent points on the helo.

(...)

So far, the 1:48 kitty hawk is the most accurate 365 kit

That sucks! The KH Dauphin imho is one big pile of fit problems. I gave mine away to someone with more patience.

Have to get me the 1:72 Dream Models.

:cheers:

Gertjan

Edited by GeejeeZ

Got my USCG HH-65 Dolphin in the last days. Today i looked over the sprues and i found one big mistake. The Co-pilot´s door part is wrong. There is no clear part for the window on the underside of the door.

Hope you guys understand what i mean.

Greeting s Michael

That sucks! The KH Dauphin imho is one big pile of fit problems. I gave mine away to someone with more patience.

Have to get me the 1:72 Dream Models.

:cheers:/>/>

Gertjan

IMG_4737.JPG

I love the kitty hawk kit:It is a faithful representation of the real model. There are few incorrect things like the rear landing gear dumpers set as the dauphin is in hovering instead on ground, the "too high" main rotor mast and, i think, the oversized nose.

Edited by as365n3

(pic)

I love the kitty hawk kit:It is a faithful representation of the real model. There are few incorrect things like the rear landing gear dumpers set as the dauphin is in hovering instead on ground, the "too high" main rotor mast and, i think, the oversized nose.

(about the picture) Yeah rub it in :bandhead2: ! I have seen the pics of the built KH's and they make me even more frustrated.

I definitely believe you when you state that the KH- kit is the best representation of the real thing, but I just find the KH- kit horrible to build. Although I must admit that I did not completely finish one, I had the impression that KH never actually built the thing themselves because there were serious fitting problems. I know: a lot of modellers feel positively challenged by that and start cheering that this is just what modelling is all about, but I'm not one of them. When I pay a pretty high price for a model, I expect a model that goes together without too much of a hassle.

The other thing I don't like about the KH Dauphin, but that's more personal taste, is the build up of the outside. Nearly every fuselage panel on the kit is moulded separately which ends in a carload of seams that one has to sand flush again to get the smooth appearance modern helicopters have.

Btw: Ooops.. wrong thread! :whistle:

:cheers:

Gertjan

Edited by GeejeeZ

I'm not sure if this is still true, but I used to work at KSGJ south of Jacksonville, FL and the HITRON guys would stop in after target practice for fuel and a bit to eat. They were always real cool and let us check out their birds. Not sure if they still do, but I'm sure they would be more than happy to show you if you just happened to be around when they landed.

Edited by eraucubsfan

As i am currently building the new Trumper Dolphin kit, i found some more mistakes :

- left front door, no clear part for the under side of the door

- speed sensor on the left and right side of the nose missing

- sensor on the main rotor hub is missing completely

- left sliding door, wrong shape of the clear part

- door handles completely missing

- right sliding door, fixed provisions on the door for the sliding mechanism completely missing

- wrong shape of the wheels

- tail light not included

Nothing, that you cannot fix with scratching, but for am completely new kit very disappointing.

Greetings Michael

Edited by BK-117

As i am currently building the new Trumper Dolphin kit, i found some more mistakes :

- right sliding door, fixed provisions on the door for the sliding mechanism completely missing

Nothing, that you cannot fix with scratching, but for am completely new kit very disappointing.

Greetings Michael

Do you have an in progress thread?

-Awan

Greetings Michael

Hi man!I'd like to see a side shot of the fuselage. Is it possible?Can you measure the distance between the rear and nose gear?

Not a great kit :jaw-dropping:

now I see how Trumpeter messed up the cabin window dimensions on both sides ...

considering the retail price (70€ in Europe) you get a box full of botch.

Compared to that, you get an EC-135 (with some fitting problems) or a Lynx (without rivets) in 1:32 scale for 30 Euros.

Are my expectations too high to aussme that a producer does his homework if they ask for rather high prices?