IPMS Nats in Columbus and Vendors

Hello all,

I am going to the IPMS convention this Saturday and was wondering if the vendors offer better sales than you would find online or at a hobby shop.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking for a few items.

Thanks,

Mark

To be very honest, it’s hit or miss.

Among both the professional vendors, who generally have an online presence, and private sellers, who are selling their personal stash of models, you’ll find models priced significantly below what you’d find online and models priced close to retail. Smart shoppers are familiar with prices of the models they’re seeking. Smart vendors price their models accordingly.

Here’s my advice, written two years ago but still accurate.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

If Rare Plane Detective guy is there...hit him up. I got a few wicked deals at last years convention off those tables. Ex. NB-52 w/ X-15 for $40.00...take a look at eBay prices on that thing lately.

:thumbsup:

Hello all,

I am going to the IPMS convention this Saturday and was wondering if the vendors offer better sales than you would find online or at a hobby shop.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking for a few items.

Thanks,

Mark

It's really hit or miss. In years past I've driven to Nats in Atlanta, Orlando and Virginia Beach and flown to Omaha. Virginia Beach was part of a larger trip I was taking to Richmond, VA and Atlanta is only a couple of hours away from me. I was looking for a 1/48 YF-12 in Orlando, they had two there and they weren't any cheaper than they were on Ebay (in fact, with some patience, I got a YF-12 last year for LESS than what the vendors at Nats were charging).

Factor in your travel expenses such as gas, mileage, food and your entry fee just to get in the door there. If you'll be there overnight, then add in the cost of a hotel room.

If it's a day trip for you (there, visit and back in a day), and you get a lot of kits, or you can find that rare kit you've been looking a long time for, then you'll do okay. 82Whitey did this with his NB-52 purchase.

But if you're going to be there for more than a day and/or don't get a lot of kits, then you're better off staying at home and sniping kits off of Ebay in the comfort of your own home.

When it comes to kits, I've had WAY better results at local shows.

Edited by Trigger

It really is a hit or miss. I have most the kits I want so I go there for deals/steals or the unusual. I've only been to one IPMS show and was not impressed with the prices....but some of the smaller shows across this great country have yielded some decent hauls.

Factor in your travel expenses such as gas, mileage, food and your entry fee just to get in the door there. If you'll be there overnight, then add in the cost of a hotel room.

There are many more reasons to attend the Nats (or any contest) beyond the vendors room. Like the hot women. :P

There are many more reasons to attend the Nats (or any contest) beyond the vendors room. Like the hot women. :P/>

I have all the modeling stuff I need...I only go for the hot chicks and wild parties anymore.

Hey man, What's Happens at Nats, Stays at Nats!!

Hot women there? Oh, I can't wait now! First timer. I am really looking more for Resin aftermarket items than kits. Hope the Barracuda group will be there with their new B-1B resin.

Thanks for all the info!

Hot women there? Oh, I can't wait now! First timer. I am really looking more for Resin aftermarket items than kits. Hope the Barracuda group will be there with their new B-1B resin.

Thanks for all the info!

Barracuda has confirmed their attendance with B-1B stuff on another board but he was opening starting Thursday AM so they could very well be gone by Saturday...Good Luck

Normally Aires and CMK are there with huge set ups so lots of resin. Lots of stock and they normally also have show specials. If you can wait for Saturday they also discount a bunch of stuff if it has not sold. Eduard is normally there too with the PE and the Brassin resin stuff.

Too much stuff and not enough money :)

Ha! Thanks everyone. I'm pretty excited. I hust bought 2 1/48 B-1B's & the new Barracuda resin has me stoled. My cousin works at Edmond AFB & he has been sending me pics of B1's. The 1st kit just came. It's huge! Lol. I really want to see the models & everyones skill. I learned so much from everyone on this site. It's not a cheap hobby but I have more money than I did when I was a kid. Pretty poor. That's ok though. Hard work gets rewarded.

Night boys!

Mark

Ha! I have a big basement. I think it's called being divorced or wife left me & I kept the house. No kids either. The funny thing is, the Ex was unbelievably supportive of my hobby! She went to about 70+ airshows with me.

My father got me into building models when I was a kid & it's a way for me to remember him by.

I've only been to NATS once, last year, last day. As the show neared closing some vendors offered deep discounts. Others were semi-negotiable, others were firm. Although some other guys from my club were bragging about good deals they got earlier in the week ($25 hasegawa hornets) that were long gone by the time I got there. So there is no formula for good deals either...

I think its Edmonds not Edmond, my bad. Oklahoma!

Well, I'm sure I'll have fun whether Barracuda has the resin casts I need or not.

Is it Tinker AFB and the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center? Or Edwards AFB in California? What we're poking fun at is there is no Edmond or Edmonds AFB. Just some friendly ribbing. :thumbsup:/>

Got to Nats at 6:15 today. Dang, that sucked. Barracuda is out of intakes but still has exterior sets, engines and wheels. Please keep all of us posted about any deals you see from the vendors. I am going to go back on the prowl tomorrow...

-Jim