Kawasaki P-1 Performing at RIAT

Very cool looking MPR aircraft. I'd love one of these in '72 scale to go with my P-3 and Nimrod. Great color on it, I recall seeing the JSDF C-130s in CENTCOM in the same blue color.

There were two P-1s at RIAT - one in the static park and one doing the display. The static bird was parked up next to a P-8.

I was surpised at how small the P-1 is (smaller than the P-8 and looked slightly smaller than the P-3 as well)

Regards,

John

iYDM36f.jpg

RivSiB8.jpg

JvDcDOJ.jpg

SwEBbTA.jpg

There were two P-1s at RIAT - one in the static park and one doing the display. The static bird was parked up next to a P-8.

I was surpised at how small the P-1 is (smaller than the P-8 and looked slightly smaller than the P-3 as well)

Regards,

John

Great photos! Thank you for posting them up.

You can definitely see some Lockheed DNA in the P-1...

Yes, definitely. The interior layout and crew positions are nearly identical in placement, entry door, overwing escape hatches etc. They put the APU in the aft end, good call there.

The P-1 is just smaller than the P-8, I think that the large cockpit windows of the P-1 play tricks & make it look far smaller than it is;

P-8A_of_VP-5_and_Japanese_Kawasaki_P-1_at_NAF_Atsugi_in_2014.JPG

For sure, the flight station windows on the P-8 are wholly inappropriate for maritime patrol. You can't see jack in the turn down low. Those overhead windows on the P-3 and P-1 are used by the pilot to look out of while banking low over the water, you can pick up the horizon right through those...they don't exist on the P-8.

Edited by 82Whitey51

The P-1 is just smaller than the P-8, I think that the large cockpit windows of the P-1 play tricks & make it look far smaller than it is;

P-8A_of_VP-5_and_Japanese_Kawasaki_P-1_at_NAF_Atsugi_in_2014.JPG

those two just don't look to be at the same scale...biggrin.gif

You can definitely see some Lockheed DNA in the P-1...

Yes, definitely. The interior layout and crew positions are nearly identical in placement, entry door, overwing escape hatches etc. They put the APU in the aft end, good call there.

You don't think there's enough evidence to suspect a captive breeding between an S-3 and an Orion?

The P-8 had an armed guard throughout the show - British coppers, up to five of them at one time, fully tooled up.

The P-1 just looked so forlorn .....with those big sad 'eyes'......

kawasaki p1_001.jpg

It was noticeably quite during its display - which was quite tame, but interesting.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

For sure, the flight station windows on the P-8 are wholly inappropriate for maritime patrol. You can't see jack in the turn down low. Those overhead windows on the P-3 and P-1 are used by the pilot to look out of while banking low over the water, you can pick up the horizon right through those...they don't exist on the P-8.

It just demonstrates what a compromise airframe the P-8 is. Clearly, the Japanese saw that too, so they went with a clean sheet design. Maybe the P-1 should have been a Japanese-American joint development product and we could have bought P-1s. Assuming comparable avionics, the robust nature of the P-1 airframe and dedicated design seem superior.