Stellar Envoy (1/144 FineMolds Millennium Falcon build)

I wrapped up this model over the weekend. With Star Wars Episode 7 on the way, I've been on more of a Star Wars modeling kick lately. I have been collecting the monthly issues to build the 32" DeAgostini Millennium Falcon, but that project will take another 18 months to complete and I wanted to get something done sooner. Enter the 1/144 FineMolds Millennium Falcon kit.

I've had one in my stash for the past few years, waiting for a rainy day and now felt like as good a time as any. But rather than doing it up as Han Solo's ship, I opted instead to build it up as the ship which was briefly seen in Episode III in a "blink and you'll miss it" cameo. Lucas says it was indeed the Falcon we saw, about 20 years before Solo got his hands on it. The novel "Millennium Falcon" says it was called the "Stellar Envoy" back then and it was flown by a private courier outfit known as The Republic Group. Whether that back story is still present after the Disney reboot is anyone's guess. But the ship still appeared in Episode III and I wanted to build it.

Here is my result. I made some minor changes to the model during construction. The bottom turret was deleted and the top one was modified to a twin-cannon arrangement from Solo's quad gun setup. Some of the open panels on the hull had their details altered to represent different modifications and jury rigs. The most extensive modifications were done to the cockpit. Alex Jaeger did a pair of pre-visualization artworks for what the ship would look like in Episode III and these were printed in the Making of Revenge of the Sith book. In those artworks, he put a rather ornate looking hull panel pattern on the cockpit and I duplicated that with strip styrene. The most striking difference naturally is the paintjob. I used the Jaeger artworks and a couple other references to paint this model.

finenvoy4_zpseq1d6bfn.jpg

finenvoy7_zpshfrfegob.jpg

finenvoy3_zpsephu7ysm.jpg

wthrckpit1_zpstjedj8pn.jpg

finenvoy10_zpsalup7vci.jpg

finenvoy1_zpstl3xy7ub.jpg

The clear stand I got from TS Hobbies (tshobbies.com), AKA "fluxdimensions" on eBay. He makes high quality acrylic stands for a lot of models and can even custom make stuff. I am considering ordering one for my 1/72 Falcon given how good this one looks.

Edited by Jay Chladek