Hi there,

I'm back here with another heli/chopper after a break with a 1/35 scale scratchbuilt tank, an Italian Anti A/C APC, the SIDAM.

Since I'm not able to fall in love with OOB kits (see my 1/48 HH-60J and AB-212ASW), I'm back with a not-very-easily 1/48 HH-3F.

The project started back in 2008 or 2009 and put apart untill Jan. 2015 with some minor upgradeswith measurements jobs or styrene sheets cuts.

I've bought the Hase SH-3 kit and the Attic resin conversion at that time considering to save a lot of time. After several weeks the parcel

arrived and immediately my enthusiasm felt apart (see the pics.....). Both kits were put apart waiting for better days.

Here are some picture of the very early stages of this building.

It is not an easy building so it could be take some months or years. I wouldn't post pics of the well known _HASE SH-3.

Cheers

Maurizio

DSCF4237.jpg

Dscf7746.jpg

Dear Whitey,

I'm not going to use that conversion. I prefer a complete scratchbuilding job.

I forget to mention that the Pelikan will have the interiors with the rear ramp lowered and the right side door opened.

cheers

Maurizio

Dear Whitey,

I'm not going to use that conversion. I prefer a complete scratchbuilding job.

I forget to mention that the Pelikan will have the interiors with the rear ramp lowered and the right side door opened.

cheers

Maurizio

Well alright! Looking forward to seeing that. I'd love one of those in 1/48 scale (USCG helo) but I'm not sure I'm up for such a build from scratch.

Would like to build one like this...hopefully a kit will come along some day.

mil_H3_leg_HH3F_lrg_zpsmpvv49jg.jpg

I made this exact conversion using two SH-3 kits and the Attic kit except I made the USAF HH-3E.If you study the difference closely you can pick out judicious selections of areas to cut and save much work. I elected to close the ramp so that only minimal interior detail had to be installed. That left only the cockpit area to need reasonable detailing under all that glass. There is also an article by a fellow named Randy Rothhaar that has this process in exacting detail laid out. I followed his guide and the result was great.

Chris M

Two kits are used so that the number of windows are in place, the bottom could be extended and the issue of eliminating the SH-3 sliding door was easy. I have the article in print but I do not know what publication I got it from. I could probably scan it and send pdf to you via email. The only parts of the Attic kit used were the extended area in front, the back ramp area, the sponsons, the refuelboom and the tail assembly. Everything else was totally unusable from the attic kit. I had bought two of the Japanese SH-3 kits very cheap so it was not costly.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

That resin conversion is rough but believe or not, I have seen worse. Merlin Models had a 1/72 kit of one of the early piston-engined Kaman helicopters and it was truly awful. Quality control was obviously a concept that never made it into the mindset of those at Merlin Models, at least when it came to putting the Kaman model out. I don't think there was a single component in the kit that was usable.

Merlin Models make Amodel look like Hasegawa! :thumbsup:

Good luck with your build, Maurizio.

LD.

Thanks mate for your great and kind help!

Drawings with first measurements and shapes. Please note that the tail is very angled.

Dscf4244_zpsg1eavfnr.jpg

Dscf4222_zpsfcf0rutr.jpg

This is the real thing. I'm going to do the 15-29 since is a "Charlie" (C-SAR) version with several antennaes, chaff and flares devices, RWR and so on.

Dscf9075_zpsr10i9nzw.jpg

Cheers

Maurizio

I used to love watching the Pelicans fly from Brindisi. We tried to arrange some formations and SAR training with our Pave Lows, but it never came about.

Great progress!

-Jeff

Filling the rear hole with some angled plasticard strips.

Both semifuselages have been temporary glued together in order to obtain a strong base for the rear tail. Perfection is not necessary at this stage.

20150720_075131_zpspn4wioot.jpg

20150720_075107_zpsnhmzrrzz.jpg

Edited by maurizio

Filling the holes with more plasticard strips and Humbrol stirene glue. Note the lower stris are strongly glued together later with a CA glue and kitchen bicarbonate (powder - the same you use for washing the vegetables). This will give me a very strong glue when dried.

20150720_212816_zpsxqavzx1k.jpg

20150720_212806_zpsqczlsiuw.jpg