Any Sharkmouth schemes on MiG-21U or MiG-21PF?

I finally pulled the trigger and got the Trumpeter MiG-21UM kit since it seemed a lot easier to finish than the project I had slated and already came with the decals I desired. However, I am not left with these kits which I planned to combine for the (then) 'Ultimate MiG-21UM'...

1. HPM MiG-21UM (actually a MiG-21U resin fuselage as it lacks the bulged wheel wells). Basic PE and vacuum formed canopies (2 in the kit) along with the injection molded MiG-21 parts from the OEZ/Letohrad kit.

2. Academy MiG-21PF with Verlinden detail set (nicely done), PART PE (insane), Eduard PE, CMK wheel bays and wheels.

3. Academy MiG-21MF with FM detail set, CMK detail set, PART and Eduard PE.

4. Quickboost scoops for both kits and MF replacement fin to combine with the PF fuselage for this project.

Now, I have a scheme (Polish Fishbed with Swordfish mural) for the MF but nothing for the others...

Has anyone seen a MiG-21U or MiG-21PF with a sharkmouth scheme?

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

The only two seat MiG-21 that comes to mind is one the Croatian AF had in about the 1996 timeframe. Begemot covers it in 1/72 on their 72-020 sheet, but doesn't seem to have in it other scales:

183_3.png

net photo

The only PF family member I can think of with a sharkmouth was the Luftwaffe special MiG-21PFM done up when Germany was reunified:

135497520.DJ0fFt30.jpg

net photo

The only PF family member I can think of with a sharkmouth was the Luftwaffe special MiG-21PFM done up when Germany was reunified:

Didn't think PF's were in service that late? Thought they were replaced long before reunification.

Didn't think PF's were in service that late? Thought they were replaced long before reunification.

I guess that PFMs have been removed from frontline units but were still used for trainees to increase flight hours and for high rank officers so that they kept their wings ?

Edited by Laurent

183_3.png

Thank you Kevan, this is a MiG-21UM and I do have the Begemot sheet. too bad for me that I can't find a decent MiG-21UM kit in 72nd scale.

135497520.DJ0fFt30.jpg

The above is, as you stated, a MiG-21PFM and this scheme is reserved for my Eduard kit. I have the decals in 1/72nd scale (along with the Bilek kit) but hope to find a set in 1/48th scale. Does anyone make them?

Regards,

Sharkmouth MiG-21F. So early version:

http://en.valka.cz/topic/view/51424

Thank you! That's an F-13 which is a bit different from the PF but I sincerely thank you as I only had the first photo. I have the Trumpeter kit for this scheme but I swear I saw a decal sheet for this scheme in 1/72nd scale. My Bilek MiG-21F-13 was built as the one in the bar in the former Yugoslavia:

Mig21F13_22504_nstime_jaws.jpg

Regards,

The Yugoslav F13 was not used operationaly with the sharkmouth.It was painted while `serving` in the bar at Novi Sad smile.gif

Yes Dargan_MiG31, I found that out but still enjoy it as part of my collection! :P

Here it is after retirement but before being placed in the bar:

mig-21-f13-28623974.jpg

Regards,

DSC02682.jpgDSC02686.jpgDSC02681.jpg

Here is mine which I built about the 1994 timeframe from the HiPM kit #001. It was actually fun to build and quite accurate. The Academy kits are so inaccurate in the fuselage area that they would provide a good parts bag for the HiPM kit instead of the OEZ parts. I built mine completely stock with the exception of the seats I did replace them with new resin seats. I am actually quite fond of this kit and have one more in my stash plus an extra fuselage. Now with all the aftermarket parts available for this aircraft it will be a sinch to build.

Edited by Otto
DSC02686.jpg

Otto, this is the same kit I have and the outlines are accurate for a Mig-21U but 3171 was a UM with the bulged wheel covers and a few other details not included in the HiPM kit. As you wrote, I considered substituting the OEZ/Letohrad parts with the Academy equivalents.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth

Otto, this is the same kit I have and the outlines are accurate for a Mig-21U but 3171 was a UM with the bulged wheel covers and a few other details not included in the HiPM kit. As you wrote, I considered substituting the OEZ/Letohrad parts with the Academy equivalents.

Regards,

That is what I am going to do with my other kit and fuselage. Just junk most of the OEZ parts especially the wings. The one thing I did do when I built the kit was to drastically thin out the wings by sanding down the mating surfaces on a sheet of sandpaper glued to a flat surface. This task is not necessary on the Academy wings.

Edited by Otto