Hello everyone!

I'm currently building the Hasewgawa 1/48 A-4E Skyhawk and I'm trying to determine the best way to mask and paint the intake lip. My reference pictures show the inner portion of this area has a red stripe that extends aft about 4" from the edge and covers the entire inner lip (as shown in the link below). Afterwards it's painted white all the way up to the engine.

I can easily mask the red outside portion with tape.....any suggestions on how to mask and paint the red portion on the inside?

Thanks!

www.afwing.com/intro/a4_skyhawk/early_intake.jpg

Although I've never done it, I've seen someone who got very fine grain sponge rubber (at a beauty supply - I have no idea what women use it for) and used it (squeezed down into the intake) as a masking mechanism. The cell size is so small you don't get any spray-through, so it gives a nice sharp line. One of those things that's been on my "I really need to try that" list.

Leave the lip piece of the intake off until the end and paint it off the model. Perfect line every time. I've done at least six Hasegawa Skyhawks that way.

See here:My link

Edited by volzj

Although I've never done it, I've seen someone who got very fine grain sponge rubber (at a beauty supply - I have no idea what women use it for) and used it (squeezed down into the intake) as a masking mechanism.

These are latex sponges (used for applying broad areas of makeup) and they are cheap and come in convenient triangle shapes that are easy to cut with scissors. I've used them many times and they work great, but you must make sure the paint is very dry before putting them in an intake - they will glue themselves into paint that is dry to the touch but still chemically setting.

Leave the lip piece of the intake off until the end and paint it off the model. Perfect line every time. I've done at least six Hasegawa Skyhawks that way.

This. This is the easiest way to deal with the intake lip.

I had this problem with AV-8B and A-10 intakes. I filled the intake with damp tissue and used poster putty on top of that to get an edge.

A toothpick or craft stick cut to a chisel point will help you work the edge to get a straight line all the way around.

It's a little tedious but it works.