USAFline - new decal manufacturer

Hi all,

Shameless plug...

Back in the 1990s, Repliscale released a set of sheets with generic markings in 1/72 and 1/48 for USAF aircraft. These were really useful but a bit iffy in size, and have not been available for some time.

Whilst there are a huge variety of decal sheets available nowadays, nobody has released generic sheets for USAF/ANG aircraft covering the obvious areas.

I would therefore like to introduce USAFline - a new venture which will, over time, aim to provide tail code and serial number markings in black, white and grey.

The first sheet is now available - USAFline 72-001 provides 18" markings in Gunship Grey (FS36118) mainly designed for the F-16. I have tried to provide as much content on the sheet as possible (slightly larger than A5) and include a complete set of tail code letters (18"), serial numbers (12"), year designators (from 1978-2009 although most of the early F-16s were out of service by the time tail codes switched from black to grey) and a set of wing/squadron/unit designators (e.g. FWW, FS, FW etc) as well as command designators (AFRES, AFRC and ANG).

The sheet is currently available via eBay (just search for 'USAFline') or direct (email "info@usafline.com").

USAFline_72_001_Instructions_1-419-800-1200-80-rd-255-255-255.jpg

USAFline_72_001_Instructions_1-419-800-1200-80-rd-255-255-255.jpg

USAFline_01_Master_3.2-421-800-1200-80-rd-255-255-255.jpg

Edited by UKPonchoMan

Cool stuff. Good luck with your new product line. :)

Oh, and just a heads up, people should look for your sheet on the UK eBay site, not the US one. B)

UKPonchoman (a real name would be welcome :coolio: ),

If you're taking suggestions, something I have found lacking among generic marking sheets are the current low-vis style(s) of the U.S. national insignia. True, you usually get them with each kit, but sometimes they are printed in the wrong "gray" or are sized improperly. You can buy several brands of historical U.S. national insignias in every size one could need (pre-WWII, three or four different WWII styles, and postwar style), but try finding a sheet of black-outline style current insignias for transports in low-vis schemes.

Hi guys,

U.S. National Insignia is certainly something to consider - both in black and greys. I have to admit I'd not thought about it (mainly because it's taken a year to get this first sheet out!!) but there's no reason why not...

As for scale, I've started with 1/72 being UK based, but 1/48 is entirely possible. I have some ideas as to the next sheet (which will also be 1/72) but past that I'm certainly open to ideas.

It does amaze me that nobody has done this before (excepting Repliscale 20 odd years ago!) ...

Chris

Are you aware that the 5" high "AF" and fiscal year digits are non-standard proportions? Standard USAF lettering is 1:4:6 (stroke width: letter width: letter height). The smaller 5" digits are wider than that proportion on most F-16s, including from the factory. I helped lay out the serials on a couple of Michigan ANG F-16s once upon a lifetime ago, and I learned that then.

Jennings - have to admit I wasn't aware of that - I've used standard sizing. Having said that, it's not really noticeable in 1/72 although it is something I'll have to look at for 1/48 and larger.

It does make you wonder why the US military bother to have standards since they spend most of their time ignoring them!!

Chris, I know that I for one will be all over getting a pair of your sheets, when they come out in 1/72 and in White.

I have a slight shortage of White codes for some projects that I want to do, and as you say, no one makes sheets of what is needed. And to add insult to injury, sometimes you can't even rob the correct letters off of kit decal sheets, lol.

Please keep us updated on when each new sheet comes out from you, if you will.

I know that feeling - what's even worse is when you do take something from another sheet...but it doesn't quite fit!!

The plan is that each sheet will be designed for its subject - so if I do an 18" black sheet, it will have to cover everything from Vietnam onwards. Slightly more of a challenge than this sheet but hey, someone has to :)

Actually it shows on your instruction sheet! The numbers are 5" high and 4" wide. A properly proportioned 5" high number would only be 3.333" wide. It's not a big difference, but IMHO it's quite noticeable. The problem is that a 5" number is in itself pretty non-standard, but because the larger number is 12", they couldn't use 6" high letters for the "AF" and FY next to it. I remember the MI ANG corrosion control guys were scratching their heads over it for a while. And then there was the issue of not being able to put the serial where the AF said it should go because of the squadron's "Six Pack" tail chevrons, but that's another story. The ANG Bureau about had a litter of kittens over it :)

The difference works out to be about 0.25mm (0.01 in) in 1/72 scale! I'll certainly bear it in mind if the sheet comes up for a reprint though. 1/48th and 1/32nd would be a different matter...

It is interesting - espcially considering how often the wing/squadron/maintenance unit markings replace the serial numbers anyway!! Mind you, reality often seems to deviate from TO 1-1-4!!

As I say, it's not so much the actual physical measurement, it's the visual impression of the wider than normal proportion of the letters and numbers that makes it jump out.

Very nice! You just made my day! I can now finish my stalled project, when I messed up the tail code. Already bought a sheet on Ebay.

Although you have provided different styles of 2s and 5s on your sheet, there is only one style of 7s on the sheet. Compare the 7s of your sheet to the 7 shown in the T.O. excerpt. I have a load of F-16 pictures that have exactly that style of the seven but 12" high.

I can live with it by using parts of unused numbers to get that seven as on the jet, but maybe keep that in mind for the next issues.

Edited by Lancer512

Very nice! You just made my day! I can now finish my stalled project, when I messed up the tail code. Already bought a sheet on Ebay.

Although you have provided different styles of 2s and 5s on your sheet, there is only one style of 7s on the sheet. Compare the 7s of your sheet to the 7 shown in the T.O. excerpt. I have a load of F-16 pictures that have exactly that style of the seven but 12" high.

I can live with it by using parts of unused numbers to get that seven as on the jet, but maybe keep that in mind for the next issues.

Hi Dennis,

Well - it's a learning experience for me! I'll add this to the list of things for sheet no2!!

Chris

Nice sheet! I can build specific aircraft.

I am looking for 48 scale sheey.

Do you have plan for shadowed letter for boss birds?

Hi Nat,

I don't plan to produce shadowed letters, mainly because there seems to be very little consistency from one scheme to another. However, I will probably get around to doing a white and black sheet at some point, so it will be possible to layer decals to get the effect you are looking for.

48th is also a possibility, although it depends on sales of this sheet, since each sheet has to fund the next one!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect the best way to get that effect would be to lay over a white decal underneath... There are so many individual variations that making a sheet to cover them would have to be almost subject specific... I will probably do an 18" white sheet at some point, although the next sheet(s) will be 24", potentially both 1/72 and 1/48 if I can get my act together!!

• 2 months later...